British Comedy Guide

Favourite Roy Clarke comedy Page 2

Hang in there, fella. Teary

He's my favourite character from the first UK sitcom that I ever bothered watching.

Based on each show in its prime:

1. Last of the Summer Wine
2. Open All Hours
3. Rosie

Based on the whole run, then Open All Hours.

I forgot about First Of The Summer Wine :)

Quote: peter gazzard @ August 4 2010, 9:31 PM BST

I forgot about First Of The Summer Wine :)

Very good show.
Also he wrote Potter.

We love KUA so much we named our raggamuffin little dog Onslow.

Was it ever confirmed if Onslow was his surname or first name? I was never sure.

I don't recall any implication that it was a surname.

RC has always been good at coming up with character names. Never knew Howard and Pearl's surname was Sibshaw till I looked on wikipedia

Open All Hours first due mostly to Ronnie Barker, and Keeping Up Appearances second due to Patricia Routledge's wonderful performance.

I like Clarke's Scrum, a warm hearted Northern comedy about a Rugby league team in borstal.

Just remember I think RC was the writer of Don't Tell Father, a shortlived 1992 vehicle for Tony Britton, saw one episode, didnt think he was anywhere near as good as he had been in Don't Wait Up. I thought it was definitely a contender for Roy Clarke's worst series.

1. Last Of The Summer Wine - First 10 years.
2. Keeping Up Appearances - Hilarious show that is consistently good, not a bad episode across its entire run.
3. Open All Hours - Great show starring in my opinion the greatest actor who has ever lived, Ronnie Barker, but I found the final series to be weak in comparison with the first 3.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ August 5 2010, 11:11 PM BST

Open All Hours first due mostly to Ronnie Barker, and Keeping Up Appearances second due to Patricia Routledge's wonderful performance.

Couldn't have said it better.

Both shows were a bit repetitive and could have been boring with lesser actors. But Routledge and Barker are/were so great and added their special something to every scene which made the whole thing work.

Last of The Summer Wine has got to be some of his best work but I love Keeping Up Appearances and Open All Hours. He was good comedy writer.

Love LOTSW and Keeping Up Appearances so I guess I need to get out my Open All Hours set and watch that!