British Comedy Guide

Favourite Roy Clarke comedy

I'd have to say mine are in list they were originally shown, Summer Wine first, followed by Open All Hours, then Keeping Up Appearances with Aint Misbehavin' last. Couldn't get into that. Never seen Rosie, but my dad has a DVD of that so might give it a go.

Difficult. There are great qualities to so much of his work. I think I'd probably have to opt for Keeping Up Appearances, narrowly nudging Open All Hours.

Open All Hours by a leaping mile though early series of 'The Wine' weren't bad.

Just realised I forgot The Magnificent Evans. Got it on DVD but haven't got round to watching it yet. From what I've heard Barker's character was just a Welsh Arkwight, except he was a photographer instead of a shopkeeper.

Quote: peter gazzard @ August 2 2010, 8:26 PM BST

Just realised I forgot The Magnificent Evans. Got it on DVD but haven't got round to watching it yet. From what I've heard Barker's character was just a Welsh Arkwight, except he was a photographer instead of a shopkeeper.

This is mainly correct. But without any comedy.

Quote: peter gazzard @ August 2 2010, 8:26 PM BST

It's not quite as clean-cut as that, but there are certainly striking similarities in the characters.

Quote: Aaron @ August 2 2010, 7:48 PM BST

Difficult. There are great qualities to so much of his work. I think I'd probably have to opt for Keeping Up Appearances, narrowly nudging Open All Hours.

I'd second that. LOTSW 3rd for me.

Open All Hours. I think it's Clarke's most perfect sitcom. I've also got a soft spot for Rosie, but it did go on a tad too long and outstay its welcome.

Haven't seen them all. Either Mrs Bucket or Open All Hours. I can't decide.

The Magnificent Evans was a very weak sitcom in my opinion. Nice theme tune, but that was about all it had going for it. This is a very difficult question, I'd probably go for the first ten years of Last of the Summer Wine, then Open All Hours and then Keeping Up Appearances.
Never seen 'Rosie' yet watched its prequel 'The Growing Pains of PC Penrose'. It's a nice show in all honesty, just seven episodes, some slighly boring episodes in that run, but some really good ones as well.

Keeping Up Appearances is my favourite, mainly because my kids love it too.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ August 3 2010, 12:27 PM BST

Keeping Up Appearances is my favourite, mainly because my kids love it too.

Extremely funny show.

I liked Ain't Misbehavin' at the time, not seen it in years so don't know what it's like now.

Keeping Up Appearances is a classic, it's one of the best.

Last of the Summer Wine is a sad one, once great and now a bad parody of it's former self. Undoubtedly a classic, but it will e forgotten in a few years down the line by anyone under 40.

I never knew he wrote Open All Hours! Class show.

Quote: Aaron @ August 2 2010, 7:48 PM BST

With you all the way on that one Ode Pal .. except the other way round!

:D

Sad news that Geoffrey Hughes who played Onslow in Keeping Up Appearances is gravely ill for a second time with prostate cancer.