British Comedy Guide

A Matter of Principle Audiobook Page 2

I clicked on the YouTube link James and it just comes up blank. Is this an existentialist surreal second chapter you will be entering for the Turner prize - or is the link faulty somehow?

Quote: James Cotter @ July 20 2010, 5:47 PM BST

And though there had been a nip in the air back then...

Bloody Japanese get everywhere.

Quote: Marc P @ July 22 2010, 8:42 AM BST

I clicked on the YouTube link James and it just comes up blank. Is this an existentialist surreal second chapter you will be entering for the Turner prize - or is the link faulty somehow?

Worked for me, audio-wise.

Quote: Kenneth @ July 22 2010, 9:01 AM BST

Worked for me, audio-wise.

Is that a review or a technical observation? :) Just tried it again and it isn't working here, must be a problem my end!

Yup just tried some others... no YouTube videos are playing which is odd :(

Quote: Marc P @ July 22 2010, 9:19 AM BST

Yup just tried some others... no YouTube videos are playing which is odd :(

You mean you can't watch your video postcards! :O

Quote: chipolata @ July 22 2010, 9:22 AM BST

You mean you can't watch your video postcards! :O

No Angry Probably have to update flash player or something technical!

Quote: Badge @ July 21 2010, 11:14 PM BST

Oh, okay. Cos to bump it you only have to ask. ;)

If I ever need be bumped I'll come to you.

Quote: Marc P @ July 22 2010, 8:42 AM BST

Try this Marc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CZ_29W57NY

It's working now, it was my computer at fault.

Quote: Marc P @ July 22 2010, 1:17 PM BST

It's working now, it was my computer at fault.

It wasn't hardly going to be me at fault. :P

Chapter three has been written and script edited. Anyone have a feedback or corrections to make? I've actually already recorded it but am willing to re-record if any major mistakes are present.

CHAPTER THREE

Clive, wearing a plain black jacket and his usual well-worn lapis lazuli gloves, is sitting on a tree stump in a partially forested clearing. An icy frost is underfoot and cold needles are in the air biting the skin, keeping the body aware of it's surroundings. He's clearly been sat there for a while as his body seems almost adjusted to the milieu. The early morning is usually Clive's favourite time of the day as he has plenty of time to think about his life. This morning, though, thoughts about yesterdays events intrude and the expression on his face is every bit as frosty as the weather. He looks around him and tries to conjure up happier memories.

"I remember coming through here as a boy. Holding me mam's hand." He said aloud, the memory animating, a wistful smile transforming his face. "Used to love the park. The greenery, the open air, the space. Quiet as well. I suppose looking back on it I was quite an..." Clive struggles to find the right word but eventually plucks one out from obscurity "Isolated child. Me mam looked after me well enough, you know. Me dad..." Again he seemed to search for the words "brought enough money in, you know. I was happy enough but I was always at, at me happiest when I were at the park. Even then I thought wouldn't it be great just to spend all your time here. With the animals. They consider them vermin some people. You know, the pigeons and the squirrels. But I don't see them like that. That's the problem nowadays. If it doesn't fit in with their plans, they're just got rid of." He said bitterly, not really thinking about the squirrels "Well, I like the old ways. It's quiet enough here. It's... nice. That's it. Nice." He said letting the surroundings calm him once more. "They're not vermin anyway. It's nice to see, you know a bird tweeting away and a squirrel foraging. I remember I used to play just over there." He points to a sparse bit of undergrowth "there's a little pond in behind, you can't really see it from here but... It was a sort of hide-away. I used to go down there, not many people knew where it was. All the other kids were in the playground. Well, concrete slabs, swings? No thank you! I'd rather go on the green. What's the point of coming to a park if you're not going to go on the greenery? I was over there the other day. Had a little sit down, you know. A little think, it's nice to do that every now and again." he said wistfully preoccupied as he pondered into the middle distance aware of his own mortality and his insistence to live his life in a manner of his own choosing. "Looking through the paper, seeing about this credit crunch that's come in. They're saying they might need to make cut backs in certain areas. They're saying about local employees, council and the like. Some of them might not be needed. Aye! What a load of rubbish. I've lived through worse. Depressions come and go like Prime Ministers. It won't mean our area of course." Said Clive sounding more confident than his troubled expression would suggest. "It will be those secretaries or people in suits will that will the be first to go. They'll be fools to cut back down here. People like coming through this park. Saw a kiddie the other day. Come though with his mam. Looked happy as Larry. It still brings a smile to people's faces. If it doesn't... what is it they say ... If it ain't broke don't fix it. That's it. That's my motto. Well, things are changing now." Clive suddenly sits up, straightens himself out and bellows in Churchillian manner. "Not here though, not in this park. We shall never surrender." And at that moment the orangey glow of the sun, sailing clear of the cold white clouds overhead bathed the clearing, dappling the rimed ground with flecks of golden light as it filtered through the branches of the surrounding trees. Clive smiled and took it as a sign from above. "See that? That nice!" he said. "The suns coming though the trees there. You couldn't pay for that view. Beautiful!" He takes another look and begins to squint as he see's the sun gleaming through the autumn leaves, glimmering as it goes across the stagnated pond. Clive smiles gleefully but a slight crack appears in that once happy smile like an emperor looking out on his empire on the eve of battle knowing full well the outcome. Clive's voice cracks slightly when he utters his last goodbye to his safe haven that will now be open for all to plunder and pillage his hard work and dedication lost under a mire of sickly greed and pestilence "absolutely beautiful."

I always get the feeling you're a bit adjective heavy James.

Quote: Ben @ August 12 2010, 3:57 PM BST

I always get the feeling you're a bit adjective heavy James.

What generally or in this?

In this.

Very quick responder too!

Quote: Ben @ August 12 2010, 3:59 PM BST

In this.

Very quick responder too!

Fair point. Any suggestions to cure me of my adjective over use?

No advice sadly, James. I know very little about writing novels, so I may well be wrong about the overuse. I just get the impression that it comes across a bit thesaurusy at times.