British Comedy Guide

Rev - Series 1 Page 9

Quote: swerytd @ July 15 2010, 4:14 PM BST

the second and third have had me in stitches.

In stitches? I really like it, but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would have anyone in stitches, seems too gentle for that. It is good, though.

Yep, genuinely giggling lots. :)

Dan

I think this is slowly becoming one of my favourite sitcoms of the year. Love it! Simon McBurney as the Archdeacon is just brilliant - I love every scene featuring him.

Episode 3 was the first one I've seen and found it very funny. No screaming with laughter, but lots of gentle laughter throughout.

Little bit annoying that this the complete opposite of what we've all been told to write by the BBC or producers etc- ie 'gentle' single camera instead of 'bold' studio comedy.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 17 2010, 3:06 AM BST

Little bit annoying that this the complete opposite of what we've all been told to write by the BBC or producers etc- ie 'gentle' single camera instead of 'bold' studio comedy.

They also say "don't write about the media" and then make The Persuasionists. Who can second guess those cats?

That's true, and it is annoying. It's getting harder and harder to trust what crowd says anymore.

Mm, bit of a so-so episode tonight. Still enjoyable, but felt formulaic and by-the-numbers.

Oh I really liked tonight's.
I love all the music they use.

Very enjoyable.

I enjoyed it again.

What is the significance of the two 'needy' characters, Colin and this other black guy? Colin seems to be something of an 'angel', finding solutions to things in mysterious ways; and the Rev quite likes him, but 'other guy' is treated with far less sympathy, to the point at which he is even denied use of the toilet. What's going on?

Well, Colin never asks for money (or does he?). He's the slightly less annoying and smelly one I'd say.

Just watched all the back episodes on IPlayer.

It's great. Can't understand the "its a comedy drama" thoughts on here though. I didn't think the gag count was that low either.

Excellent stuff.

Exactly. That was ace again.

I am genuinely laughing a lot watching this -- don't really understand this 'gentle' comedy malarkey that people are going on about. It is very subtle I suppose, which is the sort of thing I like. I find myself giggling away and as the jokes are quite frequent, it builds and builds and I'm in hysterics.

Great stuff. Bonneville and Hollander are two of the best comedy actors of their generation. This wasn't nearly as good as their Freezing characters (whatever happened to that, anyway?), but it's still bloomin' funny!

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ July 20 2010, 9:24 PM BST

Exactly. That was ace again.

I am genuinely laughing a lot watching this -- don't really understand this 'gentle' comedy malarkey that people are going on about. It is very subtle I suppose, which is the sort of thing I like. I find myself giggling away and as the jokes are quite frequent, it builds and builds and I'm in hysterics.

Great stuff. Bonneville and Hollander are two of the best comedy actors of their generation. This wasn't nearly as good as their Freezing characters (whatever happened to that, anyway?), but it's still bloomin' funny!

Dan

Er... it became this. It's by the same writer and producer.

The point I was making is just that we've all been told not write stuff like this. I'd much rather write single camera than studio comedy. I guess a lot would.