British Comedy Guide

Rev - Series 1 Page 4

Quote: Mark @ July 2 2010, 11:53 PM BST

For example, it was Rev Richard Coles who admits to being the vicar in real life to ripped his dog collar off and told builders to f**k off...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/06/28/more-bbc-vicar-popstar-reverend-richard-coles-inspires-sitcom-115875-22366101/

Laughing out loud
I like him.
Excellent article.

This was a weird first epsisode. I enjoyed it a lot, and I want to see more, but at the same time, there wasn't a whole lot of funny about it! Normally, if a sitcom isn't very funny, you don't want to watch it, but this seems like it's going to get by on gentle charm as opposed to actually making you laugh.

Saw ep. 1 of this yesterday and really enjoyed it. Great characters/cast. And some very funny stuff. Don't really know what people are talking about, saying there's no funny stuff there. Because there is.

I am looking forward to the next ep!
I keep thinking about it, so it must have got inside my head. :)

Some very funny stuff in it, I thought.

Very poor.
Comedies about CoE vicars have not been cutting edge since Derrick Nimmo and Dick Emery in the 1970s. If only it had been more closely based on Richard Coles, a former pop star and openly gay man joining the clergy. It might have been interesting. And the scenes with the builders might have made sense.
As it is, we have another off the peg depiction. Why is he a drunk? I'm not aware of the Coe having a big problem with drunken preachers, but I admit I don't really follow it.
The one potentially interesting plot line, the use of bogus Christians of the church to get their sprogs into a good school, was spectacularly wasted.

Why does it have to be cutting edge?

Quote: Cheesehoven @ July 5 2010, 6:36 PM BST

Why is he a drunk? I'm not aware of the Coe having a big problem with drunken preachers

Are you advocating characters based on stereotypes rather than being individuals?

Quote: zooo @ July 5 2010, 6:40 PM BST

Why does it have to be cutting edge?

Because we are in a period where religion has once again become a central issue in this country. To ignore that reality and have a go at the safe target of the Church of England, as though it was 1960 and that Church had any relevance, seems to be kicking a man when he's down.
The central character is a typical Nimmo-esque wet Vicar, but why is he depicted as having every vice, ie heavy smoking and drinking, under the sun? Its seems to be an exercise in demonisation. The comedy would only work IMO if he was either wet and well-meaning OR completely hypocritical.

Hm. I do see where you're coming from in that case.

But essentially (for me), it just has to be entertaining and funny, and I think it is.

Quote: Cheesehoven @ July 5 2010, 6:48 PM BST

The central character is a typical Nimmo-esque wet Vicar, but why is he depicted as having every vice, ie heavy smoking and drinking, under the sun? Its seems to be an exercise in demonisation.

I don't accept that at all. I certainly don't see it as an exercise in demonisation. Not remotely. Demonisation is what Ianucci did with modern politicians in The Thick Of It.

Quote: Aaron @ July 5 2010, 6:42 PM BST

Are you advocating characters based on stereotypes rather than being individuals?

Maybe your idea of stereotypes differs from mine, Aaron, but having the main character inexplicable get drunk and embarrass himself is straight out of the bumper book of sitcom cliches.
Nor does it seem very plausible that a vicar would get blindingly drunk at a social event (or be seen swigging beer in a park) unless he has a severe drinking problem. It remains to be seen whether much is made of this in the series, but as it is, I don't think this show earned the right to use drunkenness as a comedy device. It was a cheap shot.

Quote: Cheesehoven @ July 5 2010, 6:57 PM BST

Maybe your idea of stereotypes differs from mine, Aaron, but having the main character inexplicable get drunk and embarrass himself is straight out of the bumper book of sitcom cliches.
Nor does it seem very plausible that a vicar would get blindingly drunk at a social event (or be seen swigging beer in a park) unless he has a severe drinking problem. It remains to be seen whether much is made of this in the series, but as it is, I don't think this show earned the right to use drunkenness as a comedy device. It was a cheap shot.

Are you C of E? Because I really didn't think it was an attack on the church. But then I'm not religious so I'm not as sensitive about these things.

Not to nitpick, but if you mean the bit at the end, they were in the graveyard of his church, not a park.

(There might be a park scene I don't remember, though.)

Quote: chipolata @ July 5 2010, 6:59 PM BST

Are you C of E? Because I really didn't think it was an attack on the church. But then I'm not religious so I'm not as sensitive about these things.

No I'm an atheist.