British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 591

Quote: zooo @ July 2 2010, 10:39 AM BST

It gave me chills, and that has not happened much AT ALL in this series.

Ah, but your parents do have their heating at a different setting to yours, don't they.

Quote: Nogget @ July 2 2010, 10:41 AM BST

Ah, but your parents do have their heating at a different setting to yours, don't they.

Unimpressed

Quote: chipolata @ July 2 2010, 10:14 AM BST

No, because there's a difference between chucking in a few clues throughout the series and actually laying the foundations for an ingenious escape.

Well, whatever you may think about it, it seemed a good deal more planned and thought through than many of the other arcs, such as the Torchwood one; which seemed to basically boil down to the word Torchwood being mentioned every now and again.

Quote: zooo @ June 30 2010, 10:55 AM BST

Oh god. If they feel they have to get rid of simple sayings like 'something old, something new' because some kids don't understand them, it's going to be terrible.

Hold that feeling! The way you feel learning that a generation younger than yours doesn't understand the
'something old, something new' rhyme is how my generation feels hearing English-educated posters on here naturally using Americanisms like 'ew' and 'gave me chills'.

This was the basic thrust behind my long moan in grammar thread. Cue Sooty with a gag made from the words 'thrust' and 'moan'.

Haha, yes, point taken.

(What is the English version of 'gave me chills' then?)

On the other hand, though (and this doesn't count for 'ew' etc, but for the something old phrase) TV is where kids will learn what it means. No point cutting out things like that, as using them is how kids find out.

What did Margaret Thatcher say when you gave her a cold bed bath?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ July 2 2010, 11:32 AM BST

'ew' and 'gave me chills'.

You sick twist.

And I'm an iconaclast.

Quote: Nogget @ June 30 2010, 5:14 AM BST

"there were cultural references which needed explaining, like the 'something old, something new' thing, or even the use of the word 'Geronimo'; it takes years for kids to come across such things.

Not sure about the Geronimo thing. Most people you ask wouldn't really know who he was in an historical context. And how his name got to be used by people jumping out of airplanes etc.

But the sound of the word makes sense in that context so it's meaning is clear. It means here we go, En y va, Geronimo!

Quote: zooo @ July 2 2010, 11:33 AM BST

(What is the English version of 'gave me chills' then?)

Gave me goosebumps?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 2 2010, 9:01 AM BST

Hasn't Who always nicked stories and ideas and filtered them through the show? Yes, even in Tom Bakers pomp.

Of course, some stories are straight steals of other things - The invisible Enemy, Horns of the Nimon etc., both Baker stories incidentally. Moffat is slightly different in that he's very highly regarded by fans.

One of the reasons his thefts are not so well noticed is because he steals his ideas from other mediums such as art and poetry -'kryptonite' to most SF fans, who consider being well read being interested in Star Trek as well as Who.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 2 2010, 11:39 AM BST

Gave me goosebumps?

Ah, maybe.

Quote: zooo @ July 2 2010, 11:41 AM BST

Ah, maybe.

Or possibly 'Wowed the be-f**k out of me.'

Quote: zooo @ July 2 2010, 11:41 AM BST

Ah, maybe.

'Gives me the willies' surely.

Quote: Kenneth @ July 2 2010, 11:45 AM BST

'Gives me the willies' surely.

That means scared though, doesn't it? Like, 'I hate walking through that graveyard, it gives me the willies!'

Quote: Marc P @ July 2 2010, 11:38 AM BST

But the sound of the word makes sense in that context so it's meaning is clear. It means here we go, En y va, Geronimo!

Clear to older people, and well in character for The Doctor, but unheard of by the cross-section of 8 year-olds I asked.

But he was saying it in the first episode. So they heard it then.

I remember the very moment I learned about the phrase 'Eureka', it was Johnny Ball on telly. THAT'S HOW KIDS FLIPPING LEARN!