Ahhh, consider me edumacated!

My old granny used to say that :)

Oh, wonderful. :/

:)

Quote: zooo @ June 30 2010, 10:11 PM BST

Oh, wonderful. :/

:)

Truly too :)

It may be crazy talk be I find most american team written shows souless, they look beautiful but they lack something. They feel as though been written with one eye on the ratings.

Quote: KJSmyling @ June 30 2010, 10:23 PM BST

It may be crazy talk be I find most american team written shows souless, they look beautiful but they lack something. They feel as though been written with one eye on the ratings.

I'm no expert, although often sound like one (Pleased), but I think BSG and DW are written in the same way. One lead writer dictating the direction of the show and a few key episodes, with other writers doing the rest of the episodes.

BSG may well be single writer per episode it just had that committee written feel to it. Somebody writes the first draft and then everyman and his dog sits round the table chucking in their five penneth worth. I know it means they can knock out the required 15+ episodes per season but I prefer to see an individual writers style coming through.

Anyway... back to the Doctor... it's a bit of, on the whole, well written Saturday evening fun, if I want drama, strong plot lines, character and well written dialogue, I'll stick on West Wing.

Quote: KJSmyling @ June 30 2010, 10:58 PM BST

it just had that committee written feel to it.

I have no idea what you mean there, but one thing remains certain, the modern BSG is one of the best TV shows of the last decade.

To me, anyway.

The Simpsons, which for its first ten years at least was amazing, is also team written. It depends from show to show, doesn't it.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 30 2010, 11:01 PM BST

I have no idea what you mean there, but one thing remains certain, the modern BSG is one of the best TV shows of the last decade. Anyway.

Agreed. It can easily hold its own against great shows like The Sopranos or The Shield. It's in no way homogenised pap.

Quote: chipolata @ June 30 2010, 11:05 PM BST

Agreed. It can easily hold its own against great shows like The Sopranos or The Sheild. It's in no way homogenised pap.

Though I could never love it like I do Who, I'll admit BSG is better in many ways.

I'm sure you're all delighted to know that I've finally got round to watching "The Big Bang". I would give it marks out of ten if it weren't for the fact that my opinions didn't reach Chip's rate-ometer. But in a few words - disappointing, with too much "magic" going on. I didn't like all the magic in RTD's shows so it would be wrong of me to ignore it just because it's Moff.

What's happened to the Reapers by the way? Rose touching baby Rose was a big no-no in Father's Day but now it's okay for young Amelia to hang out with Amy and witness the Doctor collapsing onto himself?

Because the universe was destroyed. The only life being on earth sustained by the flames of an exploding Tardis.

I do wish people would keep up.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 30 2010, 11:07 PM BST

Though I could never love it like I do Who, I'll admit BSG is better in many ways.

BSG was in many ways amazing especially the very dark seasons 1+2. And that whole Iraqi occupation similee stunning. But it also had longeurs, could be very pompous and in the end became tied up in it's own continuity.

A lot of episodes were quite dull and many made no sense at all. (Half the crew are undercover Cylons. Why didn't they just hand the ship over? And where was their super strength?)

Quote: sootyj @ July 1 2010, 6:09 AM BST

Because the universe was destroyed. The only life being on earth sustained by the flames of an exploding Tardis.

I do wish people would keep up.

Convenient that an exploding Tardis should replicate the effect of our Sun so exactly. We might have expected even a minor climactic shift, but no. However, I'd have explained this away by having the Doctor mention that the Moon appears to exactly cover the Sun during an eclipse, and therefore blah blah blah, Earth is a special place, or something.

Quote: Nogget @ July 1 2010, 2:00 PM BST

Convenient that an exploding Tardis should replicate the effect of our Sun so exactly. We might have expected even a minor climactic shift, but no.

Sometimes you just have to go with things; if they say it replicates the effect of a Sun, then so be it.

I wonder which other shows get the level of nitpickery Who does?? Possibly Emmerdale.

Nitpicking is a good thing, if the alternative is to be infested with lice.