British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 584

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 28 2010, 8:26 PM BST

I haven't had anything worth quoting for over 200 pages.

Laughing out loud
Yay!

I did enjoy the final episode, although it was quite different to part 1.
Maybe the doctor did escape the Pandorica in quite a dubious way, but the episode itself had a nice pace to it, some brilliant moments and it wasn't too sugary.

As for how the Doctor got the Pandorica to fly.
Didn't he put a Fez on & say Tardis, Pandorica, Pandorica, Tardis now Pandorica Fly! Not like that, Just like that.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 28 2010, 5:25 PM BST

And where's Kenneth - he's done a few good ones.

Right where I've always been: in Leicester Square. I have done a few ordinary ones too, if truth be lied.

And as for you boringly conservative, moaning curmudgeons - such as Stott and Zooo - who keep complaining about the hugging, kissing and gay sentimentality of New Who, you should realise that it started with the first Doctor:

Ew.

And what you can't see there is Hartnell's massive stonk on. I know that because I have the book 'DoctorWho The Early Years', which features all manner of first Doctor related trivia.

At his age?

Makes you proud to be British.

Doctor Who "accused of dumbing down plot-lines".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1290452/BBCs-sexed-Doctor-Who-cure-TV-ratings-1-2m-desert-Timelord.html

Where does the Mail get this shite?

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ June 30 2010, 12:01 AM BST

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/434/

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ June 30 2010, 12:01 AM BST

I thought Sooty was a columnist for the Mail, no?

http://io9.com/5575898/johnny-depp-playing-the-doctor-in-a-big+screen-doctor-who-movie

"1.2 million viewers deserted the latest series. "

A lot of kids in our school have given up on it, which is no surprise, given the degree of maturity required to even attempt to understand some of the plots. I sat through the final episode with my 8 year-old (my 9 year-old has given up on it) and she was pretty much completely lost. Not only was the complexity of it daunting, but there were cultural references which needed explaining, like the 'something old, something new' thing, or even the use of the word 'Geronimo'; it takes years for kids to come across such things. So it's no surprise that the figures have fallen, but that is no bad thing, it's to be expected when a show becomes more cerebrally ambitious.

What's needed is two versions of each episode, a late-night 'Full Moffat' version for discerning adults, and a specially editted afternoon version for kids, with all the difficult stuff replaced by monsters.

My concern is that next series Moffat and co will get themselves tangled up in a hideous ratking style mess trying to explain things like River Song and why the Tardis exploded. I fear confusing and convolved plots will sink DW if they're not careful.

Quote: chipolata @ June 30 2010, 9:16 AM BST

I fear confusing and convolved plots will sink DW if they're not careful.

That could happen, but I suspect that someone high up will tell Moffat to stop being so clever and start making kids' shows again. Personally, I'd rather he be allowed to risk getting into a convoluted-plot mess, if the reward might be the sort of heights we know he's capable of.

Talking of River I am currently enjoying watching an episode of Firefly every night.

Quote: Marc P @ June 30 2010, 9:23 AM BST

Talking of River I am currently enjoying watching an episode of Firefly every night.

Great series, and second best use of a Baldwin outside of 30 Rock.

Quote: Nogget @ June 30 2010, 9:22 AM BST

That could happen, but I suspect that someone high up will tell Moffat to stop being so clever and start making kids' shows again. Personally, I'd rather he be allowed to risk getting into a convoluted-plot mess, if the reward might be the sort of heights we know he's capable of.

I didn't think the series finale was particularly adult, just confused.