British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 572

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 21 2010, 8:13 PM BST

No, he's still messing with time, which I thought was a no no.

Well in some respects he always is, by travelling to any time other than his own and getting involved with events. He's always messing with time.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 21 2010, 8:09 PM BST

Well, there've been episodes where he meets past versions of himself, so presumably he would be crossing into his own timeline in all of those. Probably more that it's not advisable, or something. That would be affecting an event that happened though, where as dropping in little things to help him out later would be a bit different. Maybe.

I wouldn't be happy with that. It would be the equivalent of the ultimate sonic screwdriver get out. I'd feel a bit cheated.

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 21 2010, 8:13 PM BST

I don't go with the opinion that River Song is a later version of The Doctor. Didn't she die in a Tennant episode? And I don't remember her regenerating.

I don't think she is either, but also, the Doctor could be killed and not regenerate.

Quote: chipolata @ June 21 2010, 8:15 PM BST

I wouldn't be happy with that. It would be the equivalent of the ultimate sonic screwdriver get out. I'd feel a bit cheated.

Why? Depending on how it was done, I don't see what would be wrong with it. Moffat likes using the time travel aspect of the show.

Quote: chipolata @ June 21 2010, 8:15 PM BST

I wouldn't be happy with that.

Me neither.

I'd be quite surprised at this point if there wasn't at least an aspect of that in the next episode.

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 21 2010, 8:18 PM BST

Me neither.

Well it all depends on how it's done, doesn't it; the execution.

And who else was the doctor who appeared with his jacket on in the Angel's two parter if not the Doctor crossing into his own time stream?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 21 2010, 8:17 PM BST

but also, the Doctor could be killed and not regenerate.

I can't see the BBC allowing the writers to kill off a major cash cow.

Not since Children of Earth has scifi created such excitement.

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 21 2010, 8:20 PM BST

I can't see the BBC allowing the writers to kill off a major cash cow.

Well yes, obviously, I don't think she is the Doctor, but if it turned out she was, there's no reason she couldn't be some far, far off version who we never reach.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 21 2010, 8:17 PM BST

I don't think she is either, but also, the Doctor could be killed and not regenerate. Why? Depending on how it was done, I don't see what would be wrong with it. Moffat likes using the time travel aspect of the show.

It depends how it's done, but it would feel like a cheat. The Doctor faces a massive problem and - hey presto! - extricates himself because of something he did in episode 4. No thanks.

Quote: chipolata @ June 21 2010, 8:21 PM BST

It depends how it's done, but it would feel like a cheat. The Doctor faces a massive problem and - hey presto! - extricates himself because of something he did in episode 4. No thanks.

Well, I imagine, if it was done, we would actually see him doing things in the course of the next episode, as opposed to a 'wall-ah!' reveal and a little montage. Like a Back To The Future thing!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 21 2010, 8:20 PM BST

Well it all depends on how it's done, doesn't it; the execution.

No, like I said, I'd feel cheated. I'm not a massive Who geek, but from what I've seen The Doctor has rules, one of which is not travelling in his own timeline. To suddenly change this, if they do, would be a cop out. Yeah, it might be cool but surely it would be going against the basics of the show.Like I said, if he can do this he could quite easily go back and save anyone he liked.

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 21 2010, 8:24 PM BST

No, like I said, I'd feel cheated. I'm not a massive Who geek, but from what I've seen The Doctor has rules, one of which is not travelling in his own timeline. To suddenly change this, if they do, would be a cop out. Yeah, it might be cool but surely it would be going against the basics of the show.Like I said, if he can do this he could quite easily go back and save anyone he liked.

But as I pointed out, he may say one thing, but he's already done the opposite several times, even teaming up with past versions of himself. It's all down to execution, there's no way we can know for sure if we'd like it until we see how it's done. The idea may rankle, the actual result may not.

As I say, the very fact a second Doctor appeared in the Angel's story is enough to indicate that there will be something of that nature featuing at some point.

Just seems a bit of an easy way out to me.

It may well be.

A what point in the Angels story was this second Doctor? I must've missed this.

A time would be nice, or a link.