British Comedy Guide

Roy Clarke

Has he received a lifetime achievement award for comedy writing? If not he should get it this year, IMO.

The man who bored England and probably killed several OAPs by making them titter into their tea and scones.

Quote: David Carmon @ June 19 2010, 1:17 AM BST

The man who bored England and probably killed several OAPs by making them titter into their tea and scones.

Please try not to make yourself look any more stupid than you do with your constant obsession with 2 point 4 Children.

Roy Clarke is an excellent writer and I've got masses of respect for him. He's written literally hundreds of scripts and his best writing is genial, thoughtful and rich in observation.

Quote: David Carmon @ June 19 2010, 1:17 AM BST

I think you mean he bored you, which isn't quite the same thing. Unless you're some kind of massive hollow f**king giant and we're all living inside you.

Roy Clarke's probably written more than 500 comedy scripts in his life between Summer Wine, Open All Hours, Keeping Up Appearances and others, across forty years. He quite possibly has been responsible for a few deaths from tittering.

Writing is a journey, and sometimes that journey ends in death, peckerhead.

In answer to the question, yes, if he hasn't got one, he should have one.

He's got a very recognizable "voice", in that you always know when you're watching something written by Roy Clarke. That's quite an achievement in itself. I was never keen on Last of the Summer Wine, but I loved Open All Hours.

I also quite like the film Hawks, a black comedy he wrote about two cancer sufferers played by Timothy Dalton and Anthony Edwards.

Quote: peter gazzard @ June 18 2010, 7:46 PM BST

Has he received a lifetime achievement award for comedy writing? If not he should get it this year, IMO.

I seem to recall that he once got a Bafta for his work on Summer Wine.

His seventies work on Rosie and Open All Hours was superb and even the early episodes of Summer Wine were of a good vintage.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 19 2010, 2:50 AM BST

I think you mean he bored you, which isn't quite the same thing. Unless you're some kind of massive hollow f**king giant and we're all living inside you.

Well not just me judging by the tumbling ratings in the last few years.

Don't be ridiculous, I might be a bit stocky but I couldn't fit 6 billion people inside me.

Quote: David Carmon @ June 19 2010, 10:30 PM BST

Well not just me judging by the tumbling ratings in the last few years.

Compared to what?

The ratings it has managed before. They just seem to be sinking each year.

Quote: David Carmon @ June 19 2010, 10:34 PM BST

The ratings it has managed before. They just seem to be sinking each year.

Have you looked at TV ratings for every show since the splurge of multi channel broadcasting:? I wrote an episode of something that had over twenty one million viewers - it was okay, not the best thing I have written by a long way.

Quote: Marc P @ June 19 2010, 10:38 PM BST

I wrote an episode of something that had over twenty one million viewers

Bragger.

Quote: Marc P @ June 19 2010, 10:38 PM BST

Have you looked at TV ratings for every show since the splurge of multi channel broadcasting:? I wrote an episode of something that had over twenty one million viewers - it was okay, not the best thing I have written by a long way.

Was it a Gold Blend ad?

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?