British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 558

Quote: Marc P @ June 18 2010, 12:03 AM BST

Bollocks.

It really isn't. If I had said "Doctor Who is aimed at ONLY eight year olds" then you'd be spot on. I've read the first two chapters of RTD's writers tale about making his final series of Who, and so far every time he has come up with an idea he has followed it with the question "But what will the eight year old girls think of that?" Doctor Who is a family show, but the eight year old kids are the glue holding it all together. If they watch, it makes it much more likely that the parents will watch. If they don't then some would turn off, and then your left with it being a family show with neither the children nor the parents watching, so just who exactly in the family is watching? Judging by this thread, it's the mad old uncle.

I'm talking about new who here though, I have absolutely no idea about classic who having never watched it. I would love to do so, but don't know where to start and the box sets seem very expensive for television made forty years ago.

[quote name="Godot Taxis" post="631745" date="June 18 2010, 4:57 PM BST

Manzoni's tin does contain real shit. www.tate.org.uk/servlet/ViewWork?workid=27330&searchid=16857&tabview=text
[/quote] http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2007/jun/13/art

Manzoni's tin is a Manzoni's tin.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 18 2010, 4:57 PM BST

Season 13 -

Terror of the ZygonsHilarious camp and stupid. Truly bottom scraping acting, idiotic story. Funny like an accidental version of Dark Place.
Planet of Evil
Pyramids of Mars A passable bit of fun. If you don't mind all that rather
mouldy all aliens of Mars stuff.
The Android Invasion Granted one of my favourites.
The Brain of Morbius Just bloody stupid, especially the witches.
The Seeds of Doom Is this the one where the Dr has a gun?

Season 14 -

The Masque of Mandragora Top notch another fave
The Hand of Fear Another goodie
The Deadly Assassin Histrionic Baker, no assistant, boring
Timelords TV snoozeland.
The Face of Evil Camp fun
The Robots of Death Don't remember it
The Talons of Weng-Chiang

With

Season 32 -

"The Eleventh Hour"A very enjoyable update of Pertwee village in peril
story and doesn't suck for a new Dr episode.
"The Beast Below"Impressive, low budgeted steam punk with a great role from Sophie Okonedo
"Victory of the Daleks" A mixed bag. Witty and inovative, with genuine
humour, but suffers from over stuffing
"The Time of Angels"/"Flesh and Stone" Brilliant, proof Who can do acting,
stories and FX,
"The Vampires of Venice" A solid story nothing special
"Amy's Choice" Who casting aside it's awful camp heritage to
become far closer to the Prison.
"The Hungry Earth"/"Cold Blood" Poor, very poor a misguided attempt to bring
a classic Who monster without understanding it.
"Vincent and the Doctor"90% There without the monsters another chance
for Who to prove it's real scifi
"The Lodger" Really, really good fun. A show confident enough
to mock it's self and still be dignified.
"The Pandorica Opens"/"The Big Bang"

Who was fun in the 80s. But that was it fun. Silly, awful FX, hammy acting, over cooked lighting, f**king radiophonics music shit. There was no drama, tension and not a sliver of genuine Scifi. The current one has been a mixed bag and RTD ended up producing a lot of camp, pointless noise. But amongst these it actually made some classics.

Where as old Who is more and more like wanking over Marylin Monroe, only to find it was Danny La Rue seen through thick glass.

Quote: sootyj @ June 19 2010, 9:49 AM BST

... f**king radiophonics music shit.

Oi, that's fighting talk!

No it's the sound of a cat being beated to death with a Casio keyboard.

Quote: Mickeza @ June 19 2010, 9:20 AM BST

... classic who ... the box sets seem very expensive for television made forty years ago.

That they are. But there has been pain-staking restoration work on the old episodes and there is generally an impressive array of extra features on every disc. The restoration work and most of the extra features undoubtedly cost a bit. For example, Tom Baker has to be flown over from France (where he now lives) every time they want him to do a commentary. The Classic Who DVDs were initially prohibitively expensive in Australia, but the new box-set releases are now cheaper to buy in Australia than in the UK. Perhaps prices will drop further within three years once all of the existing Classic Who has been released on DVD and box-sets of each year-long series or each Doctor's tenure are released.

Quote: sootyj @ June 19 2010, 10:45 AM BST

No it's the sound of a cat being beated to death with a Casio keyboard.

That's my Top of the Pops that is!

Quote: Kenneth @ June 19 2010, 10:55 AM BST

That they are. But there has been pain-staking restoration work on the old episodes and there is generally an impressive array of extra features on every disc. The restoration work and most of the extra features undoubtedly cost a bit. For example, Tom Baker has to be flown over from France (where he now lives) every time they want him to do a commentary. The Classic Who DVDs were initially prohibitively expensive in Australia, but the new box-set releases are now cheaper to buy in Australia than in the UK. Perhaps prices will drop further within three years once all of the existing Classic Who has been released on DVD and box-sets of each year-long series or each Doctor's tenure are released.

I suppose I'm waiting for a complete classic who box set, but I presume that is a pipe-dream?

Quote: Mickeza @ June 19 2010, 11:44 AM BST

I suppose I'm waiting for a complete classic who box set, but I presume that is a pipe-dream?

I would say so, it would also be absurdly expensive, I would imagine.

Quote: Mickeza @ June 19 2010, 9:20 AM BST

It really isn't. If I had said "Doctor Who is aimed at ONLY eight year olds" then you'd be spot on.

It did read like that's exactly what you were saying, though. And yes, if you're an adult writing shows that are supposed to play for the whole family, then you would always have to question whether what you are writing will still work and appeal to the youngest members of the audience, because it would be all to easy to write only for the adults.

'Aimed at' means principal target group really, after all - and on that basis Doctor Who isn't aimed at eight year olds - it would be far too narrow a demographic. I take some of your points however and it is important to remember that Doctor Who is a family show that provides something for children and adults alike. Good writing/acting is the thing that can do that. Telling a good story basically.

Quote: sootyj @ June 19 2010, 9:28 AM BST

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2007/jun/13/art

Manzoni's tin is a Manzoni's tin.

Manzoni was a turd burglar. What a disappointment, although of course it inserts a layer of intertextual playfulness to the foregrounded meta-image of artist as taboo-breaker waffle waffle...

Quote: sootyj @ June 19 2010, 9:49 AM BST

Where as old Who is more and more like wanking over Marylin Monroe, only to find it was Danny La Rue seen through thick glass.

You f**king c**t.

What the eye doesn't see the hand doesn't grieve over.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 19 2010, 1:47 PM BST

Manzoni was a turd burglar. What a disappointment, although of course it inserts a layer of intertextual playfulness to the foregrounded meta-image of artist as taboo-breaker waffle waffle...

You f**king c**t.

What the eye doesn't see the hand doesn't grieve over.

And the 3rd eye weeps whatever.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 19 2010, 1:23 PM BST

I would say so, it would also be absurdly expensive, I would imagine.

There is the pirate version from China for under $200 for everything.

Quote: Kenneth @ June 19 2010, 4:33 PM BST

There is the pirate version from China for under $200 for everything.

Doctor Hu?

Lumme!