British Comedy Guide

Sitcom Saturday! Page 10

Quote: chipolata @ May 6 2010, 8:18 PM BST

Got my rejection email today. :(

Me too. Best of luck to those who are through, and thanks to the organisers for letting us know, it is a relief. ...albeit the kind of relief that is going to require a great deal of chocolate and sulking. Teary

On the up side, I don't need to change that hair appointment I have booked for June 12th. :)

<stamps> Rejected!

Dan

Mine too :( :(

Got rejection but they bothered to send feedback, so once again congrats to them for taking the trouble.

:) PUT A (WORLD CUP) SMILE ON YOUR FACE WITH SITCOM SATURDAY! :)

Hi folks,

Just to announce the sitcoms we are putting on next month @ Sitcom Saturday in alphabetical order:

Bad Pennies by Andrew Jones
Cleaners by ROb Payne and Harry Cooper
Feed Me by Mike Coleman
Showtime by K A Curry
The Sisters Sweete by Sandra Horn
World Domination by Melissa Beattie

We are giving feedback to everyone who entered but that's on hold now while we organize the next event. About 60 people have received feedback and we will be continuing after the event. Thank you so much to everyone who submitted all 135 scripts over the one month submission window.

Our aim at Sitcom Saturday is to put on six different types of sitcom scripts as a script development tool for writers, putting them together with directors and actors, and an entertainment for the audience.

And the World Cup schedulers have thought of us - the match kicks off at 8.30 pm ... So do please reserve a place by phoning up 020 7641 5253 or email rblack1@westminster.gov.uk and come along to Westminster Reference Library, 35 St Martin's Street, London WC2H 7HP. We kick off at 5 pm and will end around 7.15 - 7.30 pm. And we'll even give you refreshments (courtesy of Tesco) Xat half timeX in the interval ;)!

http://www.realdealtheatre.org.uk

*perks up*

Refreshments? Pray tell, what form will these refreshments of which you speak take?

Not that I'm easily swayed by the lure of food and drink, but I'm easily swayed by the lure of food and drink.

For the latest update on Sitcom Saturday this coming Saturday, see our website at http://www.realdealtheatre.org.uk

Sitcom Saturday kicks off at 5 pm at Westminster Reference Library, 35 St Martin's Street, London WC2H 7HP just off Leicester Square and will finish around 7.30 pm.

Our aim at Sitcom Saturday is to put on six professionally directed and acted script-in-hand semi-staged performances showing different types of sitcoms from new writers ranging from the traditional to the surreal and edgy. The scripts were selected from an open submission which attracted 135 scripts during the one month entry window.

See more at http://www.realdealtheatre.org.uk and on our Facebook page http://tinyurl.com/sitsatfacebook and ...

:) :D :) Put A (World Cup) Smile On Your Face With Sitcom Saturday! :) :D :)

Hi Folks,

Thanks to everyone who came and made (World Cup) Sitcom Saturday such a stonking success! Laughs came thick and fast and another great crowd! Sitcom Saturday goes from strength to strength!

Put A (World Cup) Smile On Your Face With Sitcom Saturday! :) :D

Our aim at Sitcom Saturday is to put on six professionally directed and acted script-in-hand semi-staged performances showing different types of sitcoms from new writers ranging from the traditional to the surreal and edgy. The scripts were selected from an open submission which attracted 135 scripts during the one month entry window.

These seem like high aims indeed. Do professional shows aim to create professional readings when they're at that stage? Or is in contrast with more easy going reading sessions?

Quote: Tim Azure @ June 18 2010, 11:52 AM BST

These seem like high aims indeed. Do professional shows aim to create professional readings when they're at that stage? Or is in contrast with more easy going reading sessions?

This is why we urge people to see what we do. We produce an entertainment for the audience where people forget what they're seeing is script in hand. We deliberately programme six different types of sitcom so this is very intriguing and interesting for a general audience as well as writers, directors and actors.

That's why we get feedback from people who weren't friends and family (!!!) on the forms issued by the library as follows:

"Great fun, thank you"
"Absolutely brilliant!"
"Enjoyed it. Very useful for me as a writer to see what types of writing audiences like; what's funny in terms of humour"
"Excellent. Especially giving some feedback to writers."
"Excellent - a tribute to everyone involved."
"Great! Good fun. Lots of different types of writing and ideas".
"Amusing. Well prepared".
"Fun, different, interesting, a new experience."
"Really good idea"
"Very good performance."
"Some excellent scripts and performances. A great atmosphere."
"Very well organized and presented"
"Hugely enjoyable."
"I loved it. Encouragement for writers, directors and actors."
"Good to see with such professional actors. Also unusual to see in library but good idea."

And see our photos at http://realdealtheatre.webs.com/apps/photos/

:):D We Put A Smile On Their Faces With Sitcom Saturday! :):D

Gee, and are the tickets reasonably priced as well?

(Translation, didn't want the selling pitch, just an outline)

Quote: Tim Azure @ June 23 2010, 8:32 AM BST

Gee, and are the tickets reasonably priced as well?

It's free, I think.

I don't quite understand your hostility to these type of ventures, Tim. It seems slightly misplaced.

Surely I'm entitled to my opinion? Maybe everyone else is copying Sitcom Saturday. Writers should be on the side of originality, not everything being done the same.

Quote: Tim Azure @ June 24 2010, 6:36 PM BST

Surely I'm entitled to my opinion? Maybe everyone else is copying Sitcom Saturday. Writers should be on the side of originality, not everything being done the same.

As far as I'm aware, there are only 3 sitcom-on-stage competition type things. And since this is a comedy website, I'd guess that's why they get a lot of coverage here.

What are the sort of ventures you'd like to see more of?

Yeah, only three main ones (other than the new ones that have recently appeared).

To be fair, Kev at the Sitcom Trials got a bit of a pasting for doing it differently (with the cliff-hanger ending) so they can't do right for doing wrong! Incidentally, I wasn't keen on the cliff-hanger thing (and said so at the time), but it is a bit different, if that is what people want.

Dan