British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 554

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 16 2010, 3:31 PM BST

"it's entirely infantilised. It's not grown up."

I don't like that line. A bit snooty.

Bit rich, seeing as he was quite happy to write an episode for series 2, that got pulled.

Funny guy, that Stephen Fry.. always makes one chortle!

:)

Quote: john lucas 101 @ June 16 2010, 3:37 PM BST

Bit rich, seeing as he was quite happy to write an episode for series 2, that got pulled.

It just reads as a little condescending, whether or not he actually meant it in such a way. Grown up, indeed.

The extracts I have read do not represent a coherent argument, but that may be the fault of the journalist reporting the story. As far as I can gather is that the BBC is only able to successfully produce drama which is not aimed primarily at adults, and he is contrasting this with American TV drama. It is not an attack on Dr Who, which he accepts has its place - his great hero is Douglas Adams after all - just on the lack of ambition of BBC drama on the whole.

As someone who can enjoy drama not aimed primarily adults, but also would like to see something more challenging occasionally, I incline to agree with has argument, though in fairness the Beeb can boast some recent successes such as Five Days or Blood and Oil.

Interestingly, this thread was exactly 300 posts behind the thread 'things that piss you off', but it's not now.

But I digress, it's age.. apologies!!

:)

This thread has become 'the things that Piss you off' thread.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 16 2010, 4:08 PM BST

Angry

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 16 2010, 4:08 PM BST

There does seem a lot a 'Gwaaahh?!?!?!' and not enough 'Ahhh'.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 16 2010, 1:36 PM BST

Nah, I think 'Fireplace' is a great episode personally, I love it.

Me too, the doctor pretending to be drunk is hilarious, as is the horse. Great episode.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 16 2010, 3:31 PM BST

"it's entirely infantilised. It's not grown up."

I don't like that line. A bit snooty.

But entirely correct.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ June 16 2010, 9:06 PM BST

But entirely correct.

Indeed. Fry is a big who fan so I don't think he means it in a nasty way. Doctor Who is the best thing on British telly, and as much as I love it, I don't think that's a particularly good thing.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ June 16 2010, 9:06 PM BST

But entirely correct.

It's just the whole 'not grown up' thing that I'm not keen on. What exactly is grown up? Who decides what is 'grown up'? Why should I make a distinction if something entertains me? Should I feel good about enjoying Mad Men and take, say, Firefly as a guilty pleasure, because it's not 'grown up'? That's all that's bothersome, the notion that you should make the distinction. If it's good, it's good, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not very grown up, but it's not a bad thing. Try not to take 'not grown up' as an insult.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 16 2010, 9:32 PM BST

It's just the whole 'not grown up' thing that I'm not keen on. What exactly is grown up? Who decides what is 'grown up'? Why should I make a distinction if something entertains me?

It think Fry's point, and mine, is that the Beeb doesn't make *any* grown-up drama.

They should commission some new Cracker.
Steal it off the ITV.