British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 552

Quote: chipolata @ June 16 2010, 1:48 PM BST

You're Mr F**king Rolley Eye today, aren't you?

( Rolling eyes )

Twice. And each usage, precise and excellent.

Okay, watched the Girl in the Fireplace last night and I have to say I was very disappointed. It's not very good - Badge was right.

Let's get the Amy thing out of the way first. Moffat just completely re-used unchanged the conceit of Amy having known the Doctor all her life from the Girl in the Fire Place and no-one on here noticed? Are you f**ks asleep? He even re-used the conceit of the Doctor speaking to her one minute and years having passed for her when he next meets her! Amy is basically Reinette.

Obviously this has an effect on how I view the first Smith story. What seemed like a good idea is now a 'reheated idea' from several series back. Nice way to start a new era, Moffat by copying the central conceit of one of your earlier stories.

It seems clear how he works now - he picks up an image - here a working fireplace on a space station - a crazy, brilliant, Magrittian image and he works backwards from there. Unfortunately, explaining the fireplace isn't easy and the story doesn't work at all. If the ship was able to build clockwork robots and open windows in time, could it not open a very small time window outside a spaceship parts shop and repair the ship that way?

Incidentally, the story is almost exactly the same as the Lodger. A repair robot trying to kill people to get a spaceship working that is long since uninhabited.

Although he has created a great monster in the Weeping Angel, overall he seems more talent-locked than RTD.

It's obvious what the pandorica contains. It contains Moffat's P45.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 16 2010, 1:57 PM BST

Okay, watched the Girl in the Fireplace last night and I have to say I was very disappointed. It's not very good - Badge was right.

Hello?? I did say so

You are never bloody happy unless you're complaining. :D

Quote: zooo @ June 16 2010, 1:59 PM BST

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

no-one on here noticed? Are you f**ks asleep?

I noticed, as I said earlier, and didn't care.

You're always making dismissive remarks rather than actually given a thoughtful response. I said I like Midnight. I also liked Blink. Address the points I make. ;)

:D

Are you f**ks asleep?

I do ocassionally nap during the day, yes. Cool

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 16 2010, 2:01 PM BST

You're always making dismissive remarks rather than actually given a thoughtful response. I said I like Midnight. I also liked Blink. Address the points I make. ;)

You do complain a lot though, Godot. You like a good 'this is shit and here's why' rant.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 16 2010, 2:01 PM BST

I noticed, and didn't care.

I was a good idea, and it's not like its dragging out. So I'm not bothered about that part either.

Quote: Gavin @ June 16 2010, 1:58 PM BST

Hello?? I did say so

Sorry Gav, I remember you dissing it. You were MORE right than anyone else.

Nah, I think 'Fireplace' is a great episode personally, I love it.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 16 2010, 1:35 PM BST

Sorry Gav, I remember you dissing it. You were MORE right than anyone else.

I am always More right then anyone else. It's my superpower.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 16 2010, 1:35 PM BST

You do complain a lot though, Godot. You like a good 'this is shit and here's why' rant.

Instead of insulting me, address the points I make.