British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 551

Quote: Marc P @ June 16 2010, 1:22 PM BST

Why?

Well, for one thing, the second episode, it would seem to me, should very much be about Amy, her experiencing life with The Doctor for the first time, coming to understand who/what he is and what travelling with him can mean; not just popping up every now and again alone in the Tardis and separate from the Doctor and all the action. If it HAD at some point been the second episode, then she would have had to be with him throughout in some draft. Also, The Doctor is trying to impress his new companion with her first trip; I don't think she would have been that impressed landing there!

Also, visually, it would seem like quite a mundane episode for the second story of Moffat's new regime.

I'm not saying you're wroing, perhaps earlier drafts were very different, but as it stands it wouldn't make sense to me as the second episode featuring a new Doctor and his brand spanking new companion. The way the Doctor was acting could fit as a second episode, but I don't think much else would; at least not in the version televised.

Quote: Marc P @ June 16 2010, 1:22 PM BST

Why?

Which means the Space Whale episode wouldn't have been episode 2? Except that felt like ep 2 as it had the very good bit in where the Doctor got angry with Amy and said he was taking her home. That would have only worked very early on in the series.

The Doctor on Earth episodes are often set around the current time, but he has visited earth over many different time periods past & present, so I wouldn't be surprised if he got confused about the customs of the time or wasn't an expert in things that he's not interested in anyway.

Perhaps in this episode it was very important for him to appear to be human so he could be accepted as the lodger & he just ended up trying too hard & thus acting more weird than usual.

Well episode 3 then. And personally I think it would be great if in the second episode the Doctor strands Amy in the Tardis somewhere in space and time, and strands himself on Earth at the same time and between the two of them with bits of his memory coming back etc they resolve the SOTD and simultaneously solve his conumdrum re rescuing Amy and himself. This is what is called drama - not 'I know lets go off on a holiday somewhere in the universe and I can show you how the timey wimey machine works' kind of ep. Drama is all about reversing expectations. :)

Quote: Marc P @ June 16 2010, 1:39 PM BST

This is what is called drama - not 'I know lets go off on a holiday somewhere in the universe and I can show you how the timey wimey machine works' kind of ep.

I don't know if you recall, Marc, but they did also have a puzzle to solve in the second episode that was actually broadcast! They weren't just sitting about, taking in the sights!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 16 2010, 1:41 PM BST

I don't know if you recall, Marc, but they did also have a puzzle to solve in the second episode that was actually broadcast! They weren't just sitting about, taking in the sights!

Yeah I know, my point exactly. :) This episode was broadcast too you might remember, lol. Just in the wrong order. :D

Quote: Marc P @ June 16 2010, 1:39 PM BST

Well episode 3 then. And personally I think it would be great if in the second episode the Doctor strands Amy in the Tardis somewhere in space and time, and strands himself on Earth at the same time and between the two of them with bits of his memory coming back etc they resolve the SOTD and simultaneously solve his conumdrum re rescuing Amy and himself. This is what is called drama - not 'I know lets go off on a holiday somewhere in the universe and I can show you how the timey wimey machine works' kind of ep. Drama is all about reversing expectations. :)

I agree with all that. But in the actual episode broadcast Amy was hardly in it. We certainly weren't on the edges of our seats watching Amy lost in space and time. It was a very doctor-centic episode.

Quote: chipolata @ June 16 2010, 1:44 PM BST

I agree with all that. But in the actual episode broadcast Amy was hardly in it. We certainly weren't on the edges of our seats watching Amy lost in space and time. It was a very doctor-centic episode.

Yes I imagine some changes were made, and they didn't have the benefit of me as script editor of course. Whistling nnocently

Needs more Zygons.

Quote: Marc P @ June 16 2010, 1:43 PM BST

Yeah I know, my point exactly. :) This episode was broadcast too you might remember, lol. Just in the wrong order. :D

Can't you just get your agent to ask Moffat's agent?

Quote: chipolata @ June 16 2010, 1:45 PM BST

Can't you just get your agent to ask Moffat's agent?

Yeah, or we could just, like, get over it and get on with our lives. Rolling eyes

Quote: john lucas 101 @ June 16 2010, 1:47 PM BST

Yeah, or we could just, like, get over it and get on with our lives. Rolling eyes

Get. Out.

You're Mr F**king Rolley Eye today, aren't you?

( Rolling eyes )

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 16 2010, 1:48 PM BST

Get. Out.

Shan't.

I cant. And I want to know whose behaviour Mister Ecclestone was unable to turn a blind eye too as well dammit! :)