British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 533

Quote: Nogget @ June 12 2010, 11:50 AM BST

I've heard that in the final chapter he just point a screwdriver at the spaceship and it explodes.

And then shouts "Yippee-kay-aye, mother*******!"? John McClane meets Doctor Who, now there's a marriage waiting to happen.

Quote: zooo @ June 12 2010, 11:30 AM BST

Did RTD write the Torchwood mini series thing recently? Or was it several writers. That was fecking dark.

There were a few people, but he was the head writer. They came together, developed the whole story, then went off to write invididual eps, I think RTD wrote two or three of them himslef, then they were obviously all re-worked by RTD.

EDIT:
Yep, he was the sole writer of two episodes, co-wrote one, and then of course would have polished and fiddled with the remaining two.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 12 2010, 11:21 AM BST

According to his book, RTD wrote it in a couple of days, too; when he had to axe someone elses script. I know that shouldn't come into an appreciation of the actual finished thing, but it did impress me a touch. It also showed that RTD can write as dark as any other Who writer when he wants; it shows people in a very grim light.

It is good. I hope I didn't give the impression of damning it with faint praise. It exploits something that is very neglected in SF - the actual bodily danger of being in space or in an alien environment.

Most of it's faults - over-reliance on the sonic screwdriver/psychic paper, proselytising gay sex, bimbo doctor are faults of most of RTD's stories.

It also needed a special effects shot of the rover on the surface. Of course the greatest special effect remains David Tennant's cartilage and fat-free nose, which I find impossible to take my eyes off.

I thought you gave a very fair critique Godot. Of the ones you still haven't seen the Human Remains two-parter stands out for me (and dispels the myth that Freema/Martha was a disaster). I wonder though that some episodes seem better or worse when seen in/out of order in the context of a series.

That was ace what a surprise

Mmmm, I thought tonight's was okay. Not great by any meanings, but watchable. I'm not sure the story completely held together, but it was pacier than recent episodes and there were some actual funny lines in it. Even James Corden wasn't as punchable as usual.

Looking forward to the series finale.

Quote: sootyj @ June 12 2010, 7:34 PM BST

That was ace what a surprise

I agree, I wasn't honestly expecting all that much, but really enjoyed it. Corden was really quite good, too. Easilly the best episode Gareth Roberts has written for the show, too. (Had previously written the Shakespeare, Agatha Christie, and bus on a sand plaent ones)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 12 2010, 7:37 PM BST

I agree, I wasn't honestly expecting all that much, but really enjoyed it. Corden was really quite good, too.

As an actor, he's okay, it's as a human being he's a twat.

I quite liked that episode, personally. I am now scared of the stairs though, or of Andy trying to be funny by impersonating that small child.

Do these women know nothing of stranger danger? A strange young man stands in darkness at the top of some stairs beckoning them into a strange flat and they just wander in!!?

As with most of the episodes in this series it had some nice comedic lines but I didn't feel the story was that good.

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 12 2010, 7:58 PM BST

As with most of the episodes in this series it had some nice comedic lines but I didn't feel the story was that good.

I think in comparison to recent dreary episodes it was good. It still falls somewhat short of what Doctor Who should be, though. And I would have just done away with Amy completely that episode, she seemed superfluous to requirements.

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 12 2010, 7:58 PM BST

Do these women know nothing of stranger danger? A strange young man stands in darkness at the top of some stairs beckoning them into a strange flat and they just wander in!!?

That one perhaps was questionable (Though it seemed as though that woman was drunk) but I think the other instances worked; if there was an old man, or little girl, begging for help, you probably would see what you could do.

The kitty was so cute, it needed a bigger part I think.

I haven't been keen on the stories this series, but I liked the Van Gogh episode last week. The fact that they showed the power of foresight wasn't strong enough to beat depression was a nice angle. It showed that the Doctor's power is still very limited. Mind you, he could have prescribed Van Gogh some SSRI's, but that's another story.

It did get dangerously close to vomiting schmaltz in the gallery, but I think Curtis stayed just the right side. However, if a painting of Amy had been revealed, I would have thrown something at the TV.

That episode was thoroughly hilarious, and Smith is absolutely brilliant at the funny stuff. Can't say I entirely understood the storyline though and I got extremely excited when I saw the upstairs room, thought it was a Tardis and we were about to discover how the crack was made. Oh well, still a nice fun episode.