British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 531

Quote: Nogget @ June 11 2010, 9:50 AM BST

...and just what was he doing? Flipping levers which effectively amounted to an auto-destruct in their spaceship. Does that not strike you as a tad "completely shit"?

No.

Quote: Nogget @ June 11 2010, 9:50 AM BST

I think you may want to take another look at that post . . .

Thank you. You not going to adjust yours so it makes more sense??

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 11 2010, 9:53 AM BST

No.

Lol! now, now fella's can't we all just get along, and agree that the episode with the Taxi driving cats was shocking.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 11 2010, 9:53 AM BST

That would be a bad precedent. Think of poor Sooty's workload.

Quote: chipolata @ June 11 2010, 10:05 AM BST

That would be a bad precedent. Think of poor Sooty's workload.

:D

I rather liked Gridlock. Nice bit of satire I thought. Midnight has some dodgy moments but IMO it's the best episode by RTD. It's got a nice spookiness and sense of doom about it. I know people who think it's cack though.

Quote: Badge @ June 11 2010, 10:17 AM BST

I rather liked Gridlock.

Thought it was a story line that could have worked in a comic book, but on screen the effects were not cool enough.

In fact rubbish old style Dr. Who effects, where suspension of disbelief is taken as read, for me work better than when they try really hard and fail.

Quote: Timbo @ June 11 2010, 10:26 AM BST

In fact rubbish old style Dr. Who effects, where suspension of disbelief is taken as read, for me work better than when they try really hard and fail.

I imagine they tried hard in the old series too!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 11 2010, 8:55 AM BST

Hmm . . From that list, you actually managed to avoid most of the really good episodes and caught a lot of the middling ones.

Indeed!
He seems to have missed all my favourite ones apart from Blink.

For me there hasn't been an outstanding episode since Blink. Some have been very good indeed but not outstanding in the way these were: Dalek, Father's Day, Empty Child 2 parter, Human Nature 2 parter, Blink. 3 writers shared those 7 episodes and I'd like more from them rather than Chibnall, Curtis, Roberts and co.

Quote: Badge @ June 11 2010, 11:35 AM BST

For me there hasn't been an outstanding episode since Blink. Some have been very good indeed but not outstanding in the way these were: Dalek, Father's Day, Empty Child 2 parter, Human Nature 2 parter, Blink. 3 writers shared those 7 episodes and I'd like more from them rather than Chibnall, Curtis Roberts and co.

Funny. 3 of those 5 are the first series. Seems like a long time ago Eccleston was Doctor.

Quote: Badge @ June 11 2010, 11:35 AM BST

For me there hasn't been an outstanding episode since Blink. Some have been very good indeed but not outstanding in the way these were: Dalek, Father's Day, Empty Child 2 parter, Human Nature 2 parter, Blink. 3 writers shared those 7 episodes and I'd like more from them rather than Chibnall, Curtis, Roberts and co.

There's been a few for me, such as the Angels Two parter, Silence in The Library and Midnight. I agree I'd like to see more from some of the writers you mention. I'm baffled Paul Cornell and Robert Shearman have not been called on for so long, whilst writers who have written lesser stories have been.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 11 2010, 8:55 AM BST

Hmm . . From that list, you actually managed to avoid most of the really good episodes and caught a lot of the middling ones. I'd take a look at, from what I remember:

Human Nature two parter, which was brilliant. Set in a School just before world war one, moving scarecrows. One of my favourites.
The Impossible Planet/ Satan Pit two parter.
Midnight
Turn Left.
The Girl In The Fireplace.

Five of my favourite stories there, and none of them on your 'seen' list!

I just had a quick look on wikipaedia and I see there are quite a lot of stories I haven't seen - many more than I realised. The Girl in the Fireplace is definitely one I watch if repeated although I don't like the sound of clockwork robots. Turn left is a great title.

Quote: Badge @ June 11 2010, 10:17 AM BST

Midnight has some dodgy moments but IMO it's the best episode by RTD.

This makes me want to see it.

Quote: zooo @ June 11 2010, 10:50 AM BST

Indeed!
He seems to have missed all my favourite ones apart from Blink.

If people put up a list of the best shows I'll try to see them. Is the Sontaran Strategem any good? The masks looked a bit shit.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 11 2010, 5:31 PM BST

Is the Sontaran Strategem any good? The masks looked a bit shit.

No. It's awful.

Quote: Gavin @ June 11 2010, 5:35 PM BST

No. It's awful.

True.

No. It's awful.

True.

No. It's awful.

True.

No. It's awful.

True.

I seem to have emphasised it more than I intended.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 11 2010, 5:31 PM BST

Is the Sontaran Strategem any good?

You wouldn't like that one, no.