British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 526

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 9 2010, 9:35 AM BST

No more so than anyone else, and if you look at my responses over the last few pages, you'll note how flat and to the point I am, I'm not mocking anyone. In fact I'm being reasonable to a fault, saying it's their opinion and that's okay. Something I've then been mocked about.

The problem comes when you re-brand criticism as opinion. This has the effect of equalising everybody's points about the show, whether they're deep/shallow, sensible/stupid etc.

Well, I'd really rather not stomp about telling people they're wrong and I'm right, people might get a tad pissed at me. And what is someone's crit on here if not their opinion?

Mathew you some times remind me of a 1920s damsel in distress; standing by a railwayline with a load of rope shouting.

"Won't some ruffian please tie me up!"

Quote: sootyj @ June 9 2010, 4:31 PM BST

Mathew you some times remind me of a 1920s damsel in distress; standing by a railwayline with a load of rope shouting.

"Won't some ruffian please tie me up!"

Say what, Holmes?

Oh forever taking on a slightly histrionic victim status.

I just tried to say it with a soupcon more wit.

Quote: sootyj @ June 9 2010, 4:38 PM BST

Oh forever taking on a slightly histrionic victim status.

That's a load of arse gravy though.

Wow your a tad feisty today?

I'm on a lot of drugs.

You've been forgetting to wrap them in johnnies before swallowing them again?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 9 2010, 4:29 PM BST

Well, I'd really rather not stomp about telling people they're wrong and I'm right, people might get a tad pissed at me. And what is someone's crit on here if not their opinion?

I put it as succinctly as I could because you have a habit of selectively quoting other people's posts. Here it is again.

"The problem comes when you re-brand criticism as opinion. This has the effect of equalising everybody's points about the show, whether they're deep/shallow, sensible/stupid etc."

Criticism and opinion are not the same thing. You rebrand other people's criticism as opinion when you post - ie you say, well, that's just your opinion. In fact it isn't, it is a critical judgement that has taken many factors into consideration. If you want to contest its conclusion you have to show a comparable critical analysis.

This thread is fast becoming more entertaining than the actual show. Please continue ...

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 9 2010, 5:37 PM BST

I put it as succinctly as I could because you have a habit of selectively quoting other people's posts. Here it is again.

"The problem comes when you re-brand criticism as opinion. This has the effect of equalising everybody's points about the show, whether they're deep/shallow, sensible/stupid etc."

Criticism and opinion are not the same thing. You rebrand other people's criticism as opinion when you post - ie you say, well, that's just your opinion. In fact it isn't, it is a critical judgement that has taken many factors into consideration. If you want to contest its conclusion you have to show a comparable critical analysis.

So someone saying something along the lines of 'Why was Amy so happy to be taken to a gallery when she could be taken anywhere? That's a fault' Is crit, and my response of 'Why wouldn't she be happy to be taken? I don't see that as a fault' is in some way the wrong way to respond? Because that's the discussion I got involved with. Some faults were raised, I responded with why I thought they weren't faults, I gave reasons, surely giving their crit a comparable critical analysis. There was still no agreement, I said okay, if that's your opinion then fine.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 9 2010, 5:37 PM BST

I put it as succinctly as I could because you have a habit of selectively quoting other people's posts.

If you say so.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 9 2010, 5:57 PM BST

So someone saying something along the lines of 'Why was Amy so happy to be taken to a gallery when she could be taken anywhere? That's a fault' Is crit, and my response of 'Why wouldn't she be happy to be taken? I don't see that as a fault' is in some way the wrong way to respond? Because that's the, I admit, rather sad little tussle I got involved with. Some faults were raised, I responded with why I thought they weren't faults, I gave reasons, surely giving their crit a comparable critical analysis.

Did you grow up in a rural community? Serious question.

Did I not respond with reasoned crit when trying to counter their position? Because in this latest case I feel I did. Maybe I haven't always, I don't know, but in that case I did.

And I have no idea why you want to know where I grew up. Hopefully not an attempt to insult or talk down to me though. Unless you're just on the lookout for a cottage to rent for the summer; in which case I may be able to hook you up.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 9 2010, 5:57 PM BST

So someone saying something along the lines of 'Why was Amy so happy to be taken to a gallery when she could be taken anywhere? That's a fault' Is crit, and my response of 'Why wouldn't she be happy to be taken? I don't see that as a fault' is in some way the wrong way to respond? Because that's the, I admit, rather sad little tussle I got involved with. Some faults were raised, I responded with why I thought they weren't faults, I gave reasons, surely giving their crit a comparable critical analysis. There was still no agreement, I said okay, if that's your opinion then fine.

From what you said.

RANDOM CRITTER:
'Why was Amy so happy to be taken to a gallery when she could be taken anywhere? That's a fault'

STOTT:
'Why wouldn't she be happy to be taken? I don't see that as a fault'

Do you really not see how you haven't responded in kind to the question? The question is implying that someone in a time and space machine might be a little non plussed to be taken to art exhibition on Earth when they could see anything in history of the galaxy. And you'd have to say they'd be right.

'Why wouldn't they be?' doesn't answer the question. We know why they wouldn't be - it's in the question. You can't then finish on 'I don't see it as a fault' as you haven't given a reason. To defend the point you'd have to say something like - 'It's a major exhibition of the kind never staged before - or Amy grew up in a remote rural village and had only seen Van Gogh's work in books etc.