British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 520

Quote: Marc P @ June 8 2010, 9:17 AM BST

Well the that wasn't quite what I said :)

I'll be the judge of what you said! :P But as much as I love Renwick I wish they'd go with a good drama writer rather than always plumping for comedy bods. For me the main problem with this series is that it hasn't worked that well dramatically.

Quote: Marc P @ June 8 2010, 9:17 AM BST

It needs time spending on it though I guess.

I'm wondering whether the stories are originally much better, but at some point plot gets sacrificed in favour of action, during the editing. Take the last episode; there could have been resonances made between Van Gogh fighting his internal demons, and the external one, but this wasn't capitalised upon. Also, the comparison made between the misunderstood monster that was the alien, and the unappreciated 'monster' that was Van Gogh, was dealt with only superficially.

Quote: Marc P @ June 8 2010, 8:45 AM BST

She has brilliant comic timing. Look at her in Love Soup too.

Yep, she's brilliant. She just, at first, looks like she's going to be a bimbo.

Quote: chipolata @ June 8 2010, 9:25 AM BST

I'll be the judge of what you said! :P But as much as I love Renwick I wish they'd go with a good drama writer rather than always plumping for comedy bods. For me the main problem with this series is that it hasn't worked that well dramatically.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I'd rather like one person (or a duo) writing the whole thing all the way through.

Quote: zooo @ June 8 2010, 11:34 AM BST

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I'd rather like one person (or a duo) writing the whole thing all the way through.

A lot of work for one bod. Maybe a small team of two or three.

That would be acceptable. :)

Or a run of six half episodes - one writer, three times a year.

Having a different writer for each episode (except for Moffat writing a few) is just really distracting for me. A bit like having a different companion for each episode - and no one would suggest doing that. I need continuity! Permanence! Not all this flitting about.

Actually it's like that thing Ricky Gervais is always on about, a camel is a horse designed by committee. I want an autered series, not one with hundreds of peoples' input.

Quote: zooo @ June 8 2010, 11:42 AM BST

Having a different writer for each episode (except for Moffat writing a few) is just really distracting for me. A bit like having a different companion for each episode - and no one would suggest doing that. I need continuity! Permanence! Not all this flitting about.

Agreed. Although the problem might not arise if Moff was a sterner task master and kept control of all his writers.

Quote: chipolata @ June 8 2010, 11:37 AM BST

A lot of work for one bod. Maybe a small team of two or three.

Yes. A 'Brains Trust', kinda thing.

Quote: Nogget @ June 8 2010, 9:29 AM BST

I'm wondering whether the stories are originally much better, but at some point plot gets sacrificed in favour of action, during the editing. Take the last episode; there could have been resonances made between Van Gogh fighting his internal demons, and the external one, but this wasn't capitalised upon. Also, the comparison made between the misunderstood monster that was the alien, and the unappreciated 'monster' that was Van Gogh, was dealt with only superficially.

Possibly something to this. Ideas seem to be downplayed at the expense of action and emotion.

Oh, and any contemporary pop songs should not be allowed anywhere Who. Never. Not not no.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ June 8 2010, 1:18 PM BST

Oh, and any contemporary pop songs should not be allowed anywhere Who. Never. Not not no.

Yes, that added an extra 'piquancy' to my vomit.

Quote: Nogget @ June 8 2010, 1:19 PM BST

Yes, that added an extra 'piquancy' to my vomit.

Who was that anyway? Was it bloody Coldplay or somebody of equal spew inducement?

Quote: john lucas 101 @ June 8 2010, 1:22 PM BST

Who was that anyway? Was it bloody Coldplay or somebody of equal spew inducement?

It was Athlete, who are, indeed, shit.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 8 2010, 1:24 PM BST

It was Athlete, who are, indeed, shit.

Athlete? Bloody hell. South London lightweights, I believe.