British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 518

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 7 2010, 7:01 PM BST

I am just too intelligent to enjoy anything he does.

Even Blackadder? It would be awful to be too intelligent to enjoy that.

Quote: Marc P @ June 7 2010, 12:43 PM BST

Yes there is often a lot of chance for humour in WHO that gets missed for the sake of ersatz 'drama'.

In fairness there was the scene where the machine couldn't work out the monster based on Van Gogh's drawing. I found that rather amusing. I was slightly surprised by the lack of funny in the episode though considering it was written by a comedy writer.

Quote: Mickeza @ June 7 2010, 8:05 PM BST

I was slightly surprised by the lack of funny in the episode though considering it was written by a comedy writer.

Truly. The latest Doctor has been a wisecrack machine, especially in Moffat episodes, but Curtis wrote him pretty witless by comparison.

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/06/07/torchwood-returns/

Hopefully they'll be building on the exceptional work done in the mini-series.

Yaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

10 episodes!

One of the biggest flaws - among many for me - was how it had the Doctor as a hopeless buffoon for much of the time. Hopeless and witless.

Cool but I'd preffer it stuck to Wales..it was distinctive and there was always a chance of the Slaags turning up as rape monsters or something.

I agree, jetting off around the world might get a bit flashy and distracting. The Cardiff thing gave it a good grounding.

Was there a Torchwood thread...?

Quote: zooo @ June 7 2010, 8:32 PM BST

I agree, jetting off around the world might get a bit flashy and distracting. The Cardiff thing gave it a good grounding.

True, but I suppose it's a bit unavoidable when an American Channel is throwing in a big wedge.

Maybe Spike can come back. :)

Quote: zooo @ June 7 2010, 8:37 PM BST

Maybe Spike can come on my back. :)

That's just messy.

Oh dear.

*scrubs Dr Who thread clean*

Well I saw Curtis talking about what he hoped to convey with this episode. Part of it was that he wanted to introduce kids to the concept of mental illness. I wish he'd instead put a higher priority on less worthy ideals; like being entertaining.

Yeah... it's not a concept.

Quote: Marc P @ June 7 2010, 10:10 PM BST

Yeah... it's not a concept.

So what did you make of this weeks episode, Mr P?