British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 515

Quote: Nogget @ June 6 2010, 6:01 AM BST

I'd like to know why The Doctor didn't just throw something over the invisible monster so they could all see it. Maybe they didn't have anything suitable to throw, I don't know. I mean, it's not as if they they had access to something like loads of paint.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Kenneth @ June 6 2010, 12:15 PM BST

And now have just watched the first part of Matt Smith vs the Silurians. It sucked ass.

Unnecessary hugging in the opening minutes: Check.
Sonic screwdriver massively overused: Check.
Ethereal ooh-wooh singing: Check.
Psychic paper: Check.
More emotion than tension: Check.
"Last of my race" bollocks: Check.
Doctor uses hip language ("don't diss the sonic screwdriver"): Check.
Classic rubbish monster transformed into rubbish new version: Check.
Stott defends the episode: Check.

Laughing out loud

Couldn't have put it better myself. Unfortunately Ken, old son there is worse to come.

I was going to say it's just like they have a douchey story and just stick in a monster to make it sci-fi.

A very good summing up of the entire series, that.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 6 2010, 2:34 PM BST

nfortunately Ken, old son there is worse to come.

Especially if you don't like that woo-hoo singing music. The trailer for the forthcoming episode not only re-used previous annoying music, but for something intended to wet our appetites, it was remarkably bland. If they serve a piece of Dairylea as a starter, it doesn't bode well for the main course. .

I honestly wanted to give this episode a chance. But after 30 minutes of boredom in which the basic flimsy plot was resolved, it took a rather unpleasant turn and it became even more obvious that they have given a precious Who writing slot to someone who has no interest in or compassion for the series whatsoever*.

I said earlier it was the worst episode ever. Then I remembered Christmas Day's debacle and I wasn't so sure. But on reflection, at least with RTD's worst episodes you still think he had some nous for what Dr Who is. Richard Curtis just wants to play gushing emotional songs over cheesy contrived bollocks.

Please, please, please Dr Who team - never again let a name writer get an episode on the back of "my kids like the show."

*In case anyone wants evidence, how about making the Doctor come out with lines questioning how boring it is when time passes slowly in the right order. Because, to Mr Curtis, a Time Lord has never considered time before, folks!

Do none of you watch the "Doctor Who Confidential" ?

Since new Who started I think I have lowered my expectations constantly in order to enjoy it rather than be dissapointed.

However this new series has definitely not lived up to expectations.
And they haven't managed to add to the very few classic episodes that we've seen thus far.

Such as

Dalek.
The girl in the fireplace
Midnight
Human nature/Family of blood
Blink.
Silence in the Library/Forest of the dead

Maybe the weeping angels was up there but none of the others have got close.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 6 2010, 10:56 PM BST

Such as

Dalek.
Midnight
Blink.

And

The Doctor Dances/The Empty Child

Quote: Nil Putters @ June 6 2010, 11:05 PM BST

And

The Doctor Dances/The Empty Child

Both really, really good episodes.

Next weeks looks a bit like one of those episodes that barely features the Doctor.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 5 2010, 11:08 PM BST

It was to me, obviously, and quite a few other people. Sorry.

Why?

Quote: Marc P @ June 6 2010, 11:11 PM BST

Why?

Why am I sorry? Look at the post I was quoting. I was copying what Chip put.

Quote: billwill @ June 6 2010, 10:55 PM BST

No.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ June 6 2010, 10:56 PM BST

Since new Who started I think I have lowered my expectations constantly in order to enjoy it rather than be dissapointed.

However this new series has definitely not lived up to expectations.
And they haven't managed to add to the very few classic episodes that we've seen thus far.

Such as

Dalek.
Midnight
Blink.

Maybe the weeping angels was up there but none of the others have got close.

I would say the first episode and the Weeping Angels two parter are as good as any of the best episodes (And I think I actually prefer the Angels two parter to Blink); and I personally would add the Van Gogh one, too.

As for lowering expectations, I'm not sure I quite understand? I prefer the classic series too, but that's because I grew up with it.

Quote: billwill @ June 6 2010, 10:55 PM BST

Sometimes, but it's a bit long; I rarely make it through the full fifty minutes, or however long it is.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 7 2010, 8:58 AM BST

I was copying Chip

I better not find you've been trying to flog a novel called Leper Scrap.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 7 2010, 8:58 AM BST

Why am I sorry? Look at the post I was quoting. I was copying what Chip put.

Hang on I forget myself what I was asking, too many posts in between. :D

Can't find it.