British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 510

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 5 2010, 7:46 PM BST

Oh, why was that lame? That was wonderful! Ah well.

Lame to other people. Not to mee.

Quote: Badge @ June 5 2010, 7:45 PM BST

with the if-you-have-been-affected-by-the-issues announcement. I nearly rang the damn number.

People affected by dead painters, or invisible CGI aliens?

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ June 5 2010, 7:47 PM BST

Like really seriously, yes.

Laughing out loud
Oh my god. How embarrassing. Stoopid BBC.

Quote: zooo @ June 5 2010, 7:47 PM BST

They didn't really do that did they...?

Well, they always do with things like that on TV.

Quote: zooo @ June 5 2010, 7:47 PM BST

THAT'S A GOOD THING.

No, if I want Ghostbusters I'll watch Ghostbusters, or even Ghostbusters II.

I'm surprised they put a number up because it didn't seem like a particularly convinving portrait of mental illness. All he did he was cry face down on the bed once like a big girl.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 5 2010, 7:49 PM BST

Well, they always do with things like that on TV.

I thought they just did it with dramas and soaps.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ June 5 2010, 7:47 PM BST

The alien seemed really thrown in and the jeopardy seemed forced -

Well, the story was a metaphor for Van Gogh's own pain, and the idea that he was seeing things that others didn't, that others wouldn't even understand.

Yeah. Douchey.

Quote: chipolata @ June 5 2010, 7:49 PM BST

I'm surprised they put a number up because it didn't seem like a particularly convinving portrait of mental illness. All he did he was cry face down on the bed once like a big girl.

For half six on BBC1 on a Saturday night in a family show, it was a pretty straight look at it, they didn't shy away.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 5 2010, 7:50 PM BST

Well, the story was a metaphor for Van Gogh's own pain, and the idea that he was seeing things that others didn't, that others wouldn't even understand.

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ June 5 2010, 7:51 PM BST

Yeah. Douchey.

Lolz.

Quote: zooo @ June 5 2010, 7:49 PM BST

I thought they just did it with dramas and soaps.

Dr Who is a drama.

If you genuinely wanted to be radical with that story, you wouldn't have had any monster and it would have all been in Van Gogh's tortured mind. And when they took him forward in time that would have driven him over the edge into insanity and caused him to kill himself.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 5 2010, 7:51 PM BST

Dr Who is a drama.

I spose. Seems really silly to put it there though. After a fantasy time travel thing. Rather than a drama about a kid in a council estate.

Quote: chipolata @ June 5 2010, 7:51 PM BST

If you genuinely wanted to be radical with that story, you wouldn't have had any monster and it would have all been in Van Gogh's tortured mind. And when they took him forward in time that would have driven him over the edge into insanity and caused him to kill himself.

Yes, they're going to do a story about how The Doctor made Van Gogh kill himself.

Quote: zooo @ June 5 2010, 7:52 PM BST

I spose. Seems really silly to put it there though. After a fantasy time travel thing. Rather than a drama about a kid in a council estate.

Well, I suppose 'cos lots of kids watch it, so they might get upset, or whatever.