British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 502

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 31 2010, 5:41 PM BST

She's Tennant for boys.

Earth girls are easy. How about he teams up with an alien lady?

Quote: Kenneth @ June 1 2010, 9:47 AM BST

Or a guy.

Quote: Kenneth @ June 1 2010, 9:47 AM BST

Possibly, though I think the argument againt that so far is the companion is supposed to be someone for the audience to identify with, which is why they're always modern humans. Maybe they could throw one in alongside the human companion?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 1 2010, 9:52 AM BST

Possibly, though I think the argument againt that so far is the companion is supposed to be someone for the audience to identify with, which is why they're always modern humans.

Alien ladies Leela and Romana II worked fine (Nyssa less so, as the TARDIS was crowded). Alien youth Adric worked well. Or perhaps the Doctor could get an Earthling companion from the Middle Ages? Or one of Jesus's disciples? Troughton's main companion Jamie McCrimmon - a Highland Scot from the 1740s - was fine as a plucky dunderhead sidekick. And Zoe was an Earth lady from the future. Rose was fine and her successors generally good enough, but some variety would be nice, without necessarily hearkening back to Capt. Jack. I can put up with "identifying with" a present-day Terran companion, but I don't like the Doctor talking like one.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 31 2010, 10:40 PM BST

And here's how they looked in the Pertwee original:

I was saving this for the next time someone disobeyed Aaron, but everyone seems too well behaved:

The original Silurians were great, although one of them had what may well be the worst voice of any alien ever to speak in Doctor Who.

Quote: Kenneth @ June 1 2010, 10:03 AM BST

Alien ladies Leela and Romana II worked fine (Nyssa less so, as the TARDIS was crowded). Alien youth Adric worked well. Or perhaps the Doctor could get an Earthling companion from the Middle Ages? Or one of Jesus's disciples? Troughton's main companion Jamie McCrimmon - a Highland Scot from the 1740s - was fine as a plucky dunderhead sidekick. And Zoe was an Earth lady from the future. Rose was fine and her successors generally good enough, but some variety would be nice, without necessarily hearkening back to Capt. Jack. I can put up with "identifying with" a present-day Terran companion, but I don't like the Doctor talking like one.

I think it's good to mix it up a bit I agree, I just remember RTD giving that explanation somewhere once. I think a Jamie like companion from the past could be an interesting idea, for example. I imagine it will happen at some point, there are only so many modern day ladies you can have in a row before someone feels the desire to jiggle with the formula.

Quote: Kenneth @ June 1 2010, 10:08 AM BST

(Nyssa less so, as the TARDIS was crowded).

Definitely one of the dullest companions. Davison's favourite of his own, for some reason.

Quote: Kenneth @ June 1 2010, 10:08 AM BST

I was saving this for the next time someone disobeyed Aaron, but everyone seems too well behaved:

Laughing out loud

Quote: Gavin @ June 1 2010, 9:51 AM BST

Or a guy.

Yes, or an alien guy (see Adric). Although I'm not too sure about alien hermaphrodites after Alpha Centauri. Actually, I quite liked Alpha Centauri. Good character after the initial shock of hearing its voice.

Quite an enjoyable ep this week. Nice ending. The Rory character dying held no emotional clout whatsoever, though. It's very hard to give a toss when time is regularly rewritten in a show.

Next weekend's ep is by Richard Curtis. I shan't hold me breath.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ June 1 2010, 11:43 AM BST

Quite an enjoyable ep this week. Nice ending. The Rory character dying held no emotional clout whatsoever, though. It's very hard to give a toss when time is regularly rewritten in a show.

Next weekend's ep is by Richard Curtis. I shan't hold me breath.

Well he did die last week as well so suffering Kenny symdrome I think.

Oh I was wondering why Bill Nighy was in it. I'll skip it completely I think.

Quote: Gavin @ June 1 2010, 11:44 AM BST

Bill Nighy must have some kind of pact with Curtis. Either that or blackmail is occurring.

Has Curtis ever written a good drama script?

Quote: Gavin @ June 1 2010, 11:44 AM BST

Very wise.

At one point the Doctor describes Van Gogh as 'the greatest artist who's ever lived'. *Has a pain-gasm*

How hilarious it will be to see Curtis fall into the pitfalls that all mediocre established writers with big balls and a hard-on to write for the show do. 'Time travel - excellent - I'll put Van Gogh in it!' "Science fiction? I'll make Dr. Gachet an alien - that'll blow everyone's mind!' You utter, utter twat.

On the other hand it will be wonderful to see Bill Nighy do his seminal creepy posh man on a stick routine. Here playing an art-lover by the looks of it - much like John Cleese in City of Death - which presumably Curtis has never seen or heard of.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 1 2010, 12:07 PM BST

Very wise.

At one point the Doctor describes Van Gogh as 'the greatest artist who's ever lived'. *Has a pain-gasm*

How hilarious it will be to see Curtis fall into the pitfalls that all mediocre established writers with big balls and a hard-on to write for the show do. 'Time travel - excellent - I'll put Van Gogh in it!' "Science fiction? I'll make Dr. Gachet an alien - that'll blow everyone's mind!' You utter, utter twat.

On the other hand it will be wonderful to see Bill Nighy do his seminal creepy posh man on a stick routine. Here playing an art-lover by the looks of it - much like John Cleese in City of Death - which presumably Curtis has never seen or heard of.

You do like to get angry Godot.

Quote: chipolata @ June 1 2010, 12:06 PM BST

Has Curtis ever written a good drama script?

No, but statistically speaking he should write the complete works of Shakespeare if he lives long enough.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 1 2010, 12:08 PM BST

You do like to get angry Godot.

Is that it?

Quote: Godot Taxis @ June 1 2010, 12:09 PM BST

Is that it?

Would you like something else?

This should make a fine Doctor Who scary monster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CL2hetqpfg