British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 496

Quote: Kenneth @ May 30 2010, 10:52 AM BST

There's no need for him to carry on like an over-the-top fauxmosexual.

Come off it. Smith is all man.

You've been in Australia too long. Over here, we don't think somebody's effeminate just because they're sober.

Matt Smith has a steely streak, but the scripts haven't really given him cause to whip it out.

Last night had some good points. His absolute fury at that poor mum was rather good. He came over as a sort of unbalanced, disapointed raging timelord. Like Ecclestone but with more of a variation against his nice side.

Be interesting to see where he goes next, he's ace.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 30 2010, 12:21 PM BST

Real men don't see a pregnant woman and react by saying "Ooh, look at you! You've swallowed a planet!" like some sort of Kansas City faggot.

Quote: Kenneth @ May 30 2010, 12:49 PM BST

Real men don't see a pregnant woman and react by saying "Ooh, look at you! You've swallowed a planet!" like some sort of Kansas City faggot.

Huh? What would a real man do? Punch her in it until she miscarries?

Quote: Kenneth @ May 30 2010, 10:52 AM BST

A carbon copy, alas. Clearly Smith is better looking and a superior actor

Lolz.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 30 2010, 12:21 PM BST

You've been in Australia too long. Over here, we don't think somebody's effeminate just because they're sober.

Haha.

He's not very gay at all if you ask me. I didn't find Tennant particularly gay either, but I could have imagined him having a bit of a snog with Jack if he'd had to. Smith I can't imagine doing that at all.

I do think you might have been in Australia too long, Kenneth.

I'm not going to comment on the patronising and preachy 45 minutes that preceded Rory's death, and instead I'll focus on the death, which I presume Moffat himself wrote. If RTD had done the "you will forget him because he is close to you" kop out to remove a blatant plot inconsistency then his critics would have had a field day. Now I hope I'm wrong, but I sense a reset switch coming up regarding the death, what with another doctor most definitely running around somewhere and him telling Amy to "remember" in the angel episode. As I've mentioned before when Rory was in danger, I just didn't care, and that didn't change with his actual "death". However, the acting from Smith and Gillian in the tardis as she forgot was terrific, I just think they're being let down a touch. The series really is tremendously ambitious and I can see what it's trying to do, but unfortunately for me, I don't think they're pulling it off.

Okay, I'll mention one thing about the preceding 45 minutes because it really got on my goat. When it's revealed that the mother killed the evil alien sister, did anyone else want to throw something at the telly when the son backed away in disgust? I mean his dad had just been dissected, his own heartbeat had been slowed down while he was imprisoned and his grandfather had been turned into an alien, not to mention the tribe that wants to wipe out the entire "ape" race. I'd be feeling pretty angry actually despite what the preachy doctor who failed to protect me is saying. Anyway, next weeks looked good.

Nah, I think the little boy liked the doctor alien (who was nice really) and he wanted the aliens and humans to live together happily and all that business.
Her killing one ruined that.

I didn't think the mother killing the alien was such a shockingly bad thing. And considering how many aliens the Doctor has killed it's a bit rich him getting het up about it.

Trooo.

But to be honest she didn't even kill her for a good reason. It was just because she was pissed off. Not really to get information from her or anything.

Quote: zooo @ May 30 2010, 1:27 PM BST

But to be honest she didn't even kill her for a good reason. It was just because she was pissed off. Not really to get information from her or anything.

You've been watching too much 24.

Hehe.

My Spider sense was tingling. Did someone compare Doctor who to 24... No... False alarm. Rant averted.

Quote: zooo @ May 30 2010, 1:15 PM BST

Nah, I think the little boy liked the doctor alien (who was nice really) and he wanted the aliens and humans to live together happily and all that business.
Her killing one ruined that.

I'm sure he did like the doctor alien, but I'd hope he liked his mum too. The doctor showed more distain to what the mother did than what the green physchopath warrior had done. And then he told the science fella that he rather loved him after he'd dissected someone alive causing them tremendous pain and was involved in kidnapping three people. It truly was a bizarre episode.

I have no problem with incorporating some moral point into episodes, but I can't for the life of me figure out what this one was. That if some alien poisons your dad, nicks your son, dissects your husband, taunts you about it and threatens to wage war against all humanity you should sit back, remove any emotion cyberman style and make them a nice cup of tea? Of course in killing the alien it brought war closer, but it was a likely possibility and if the doctor had any sense about him he would have sealed the alien off from everyone. The episode reminded me of when in Journeys End the doctor has ago at the doctor clone for destroying the daleks, I mean really? Morals in doctor who, mental!!

Quote: chipolata @ May 30 2010, 12:55 PM BST

Huh? What would a real man do? Punch her in it until she miscarries?

Probably just congratulate her and ask when the baby's due, and not carry on like a modern-day Kenneth Williams. It's about credible gravitas that is an essential element of the Doctor. Tennant and (to a lesser extent) Matt Smith just come across as insincere when they try too hard to be cool.