British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 494

Quote: sootyj @ May 29 2010, 9:25 PM BST

It's unbelievably boring.

Nothing boring about that sudden shift at the end though, when the crack appears again.

It was a pretty talky episode, Who these days is more frantic, so I'm sure it felt pretty, I don't know, slow and chatty to many.

"And so it came to be that the Golden One whom they had anointed to lead them out of the camp circus know as the Tennant Era revealed himself to be just as clueless as their earlier guide and just as fond of stupid declamatory, rhetorical voice-overs

and their respect for him was gone in the blink of an eye and their gaze upon him was as stone and they realised that he was good at penning the odd episode but hadn't got a f**king clue how to do a season

and they knew then that he had relied too much on the sonic screwdriver, and it had all started to go wrong in Venice and although he had chosen actors wisely he had allowed simpletons to write and direct and it was going to get even worse next week

when the skunkhead policeman from Ideal was going to play Van Gogh, and Bill Nighy was going to do his creepy posh man impression and the words of fans saying 'no more f**king historical stories featuring famous people who turn out to be aliens' had fallen on deaf ears

and so they walked away

the child inside them feeling emptier than ever..."

I see what you did there.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 30 2010, 12:24 AM BST

Nothing boring about that sudden shift at the end though, when the crack appears again.

It was a pretty talky episode, Who these days is more frantic, so I'm sure it felt pretty, I don't know, slow and chatty to many.

Final twist was good. But a bit like getting a lovely ferrero rocher after a manure sandwich.

Nice but doesn't quite do it.

Annoyingly if it had been 3-4 episodes with more on the negotiaitons and machinations could have been quite good.

Also I liked how the whole consequences of murder storyline was played out.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 30 2010, 12:26 AM BST

I see what you did there.

Godot is quite creative when he's being really mean.

Quote: sootyj @ May 30 2010, 12:28 AM BST

Annoyingly if it had been 3-4 episodes with more on the negotiaitons and machinations could have been quite good.

Well you know exactly what the twelve year olds watching want to see! :D I don't think I would have wanted that stretched over four episodes! As a story, crack bit at the end aside, it was probably the second best featuring those creatures, with the original in first place. Watched the Sea Devils again recently, bloody dull, I think I actually preferred the Davison adventure, Warriors From The Deep, and that's pretty cack! They seem like a great idea that has been fudged a bit several times.

And that thing of having most of them wear masks. They did it with the Judoon and the Sontarrans it just annoys.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 30 2010, 12:25 AM BST

"fond of stupid declamatory, rhetorical voice-overs

I'm not quite sure why that was there suddenly this episode, yes, seemed a bit odd, and did just remind me of Tennant's final one.

Quote: sootyj @ May 30 2010, 12:35 AM BST

And that thing of having most of them wear masks. They did it with the Judoon and the Sontarrans it just annoys.

Well it's a money saver, ain't it; not their fault they haven't got enough cash to do a decent job on more than a couple of actors. At least for this one the masks were quite nice.

The last thing that story needed was more on the negotiations. That scene was 108% naff.

Quote: sootyj @ May 30 2010, 12:29 AM BST

Godot is quite creative when he's being really mean.

When is he anything else, did I miss that post? :P

Quote: Badge @ May 30 2010, 12:37 AM BST

The last thing that story needed was more on the negotiations. That scene was 108% naff.

I was thinking something smarter that was shit.

Amy managed to annoy in most of this episode.

Poor old Rory doing an Adric.

Quote: Badge @ May 30 2010, 12:37 AM BST

That scene was 108% naff.

Impossible!

I <3 Godot-Stott discussions. I'm sensing a lot of love in the room.

Quote: sootyj @ May 30 2010, 12:40 AM BST

Amy managed to annoy in most of this episode.

She was veey good after Rory was shot though, the first time we've seen her be properly emotional.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 30 2010, 12:41 AM BST

Impossible!

Okay, that scene was impossible!

Quote: Badge @ May 30 2010, 12:42 AM BST

I <3 Godot-Stott discussions. I'm sensing a lot of love in the room.

I'm not sure myself and Godot have ever agreed on anything, and long may it continue.