British Comedy Guide

I read the news today oh boy! Page 137

Quote: zooo @ May 26 2010, 6:20 PM BST

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/10166217.stm

Good catch.

Little twat. And damn that man, intervening in Darwinism!

Quote: sootyj @ May 26 2010, 6:54 PM BST

It's 0.3-0.5 miles away how far should the Mosque free zone of respect stretch?
One mile or a 100 miles? How about a continent?

It's 400 feet (120 meters) away from the former site of the towers. The building they want to use is currently unoccupied because it was heavily damaged by jetliner debris on September 11th.

All the talk about peace and understanding is just that: talk. The same stuff is said about every mosque when it's discovered that their imams are preaching violent jihad and recruiting suicide bombers.

As far as I'm concerned, they can build a mosque there when the Saudis allow a 13-story cathedral to be built next to the Kabaa in Mecca.

You interestingly illustrated one of the best arguments for liberal tolerance.

The last thing any country would like to do is become like Saudi. By not copying them you maintain moral superiority.

http://www.aawsat.com/english/news.asp?section=1&id=10309

n,b, this amused me. And it's one of the milder examples the miserable sods have been shot at by pissed off Saudi women.

Fundamentalist police getting happy slapped is plenty sweet.

I think if the Mosque wants that location they should accept monitoring and an expectation of certain standards of behaviour.

Quote: sootyj @ May 26 2010, 7:25 PM BST

You interestingly illustrated one of the best arguments for liberal tolerance.

The last thing any country would like to do is become like Saudi. By not copying them you maintain moral superiority.

Would your desire to be liberally tolerant and maintain moral superiority keep you from complaining if your neighbor murdered your family and then erected a billboard celebrating the event right next door?

Look, a modest mosque a mile away from the site is one thing. A towering mosque literally right next door is a blatant slap in the face. They know exactly what they're doing and what reaction they will receive. It's a deliberate slap in the face and taunt.

Well if my neighbour got murderous yes.

If it was his f**ked up 3rd cousin he doesn't speak to and he was had a poster to advertise his car for sale.

I could live with it.

sooty, was it you who mentioned some compulsion to be contrary, to me last week?

Yes. But in fairness if I'm wrong, I am atleast consistently wrong.

But genuinely I believe banning this mosque says a bunch of very dangerous things.

Quote: sootyj @ May 26 2010, 7:37 PM BST

But genuinely I believe banning this mosque says a bunch of very dangerous things.

I said nothing about banning. I'm outraged at the audacity of the people who want to build it at that location.

I doubt there's any legal reason to ban it, but that shouldn't matter. Nobody should try to build a synagogue in an all-Muslim neighborhood, a shrine to Emperor Hirohito at Pearl Harbor or wear a pointed white hood to a Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. remembrance ceremony. To do so is to make a clearly hostile and/or taunting statement and flies in the face of any assertions that the party wants only peace and friendship.

I have absolutely no idea whether they're doing it in a smug, knowing, piss-taking way or not. But I suppose they had to expect a reaction from people.

I think they are making a political point. In this case that they don't associate them selves with the loonies who blow things up.

Of which Islam has a tragically high number.

I think and hope they are trying to be part of the positive narrative.

Japanese Imperialism, Nazism were all universally violent negative belief systems with no redeeming features.

Are we saying the same of Islam...?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/05/26/bnp-teacher-cleared-over-racist-rants-115875-22285906/

Same reason why it's good this guy was cleared.

Quote: sootyj @ May 26 2010, 8:21 PM BST

I think they are making a political point. In this case that they don't associate them selves with the loonies who blow things up.

I think and hope they are trying to be part of the positive narrative.

So why not erect a huge monument at the site that says something like, "Muslims strongly condemn terrorism and jihad in no uncertain terms and categorically reject the people who committed this despicable act in this place. We wish for peace and brotherhood amongst all people, be they Jews, Christians, Hindus, Buddhists or atheists, and equality for every person on the planet." You know, sort of like what they've been saying to the press.

And then build a mosque a respectable distance away.

DaButt FTW. sootyj fail.

Because that would mean taking responsibility as a group for the action of individuals. Many Muslims died on September 11th.

Is America planning on building a similar building in Vietnam anytime soon?

Quote: Aaron @ May 26 2010, 9:16 PM BST

DaButt FTW. sootyj fail.

Yeah, I'd give it up Soot, DaButt Makes a valid point.

They may not mean offence (granted they'd have to be pretty f**king stupid not to) but you can still see where people are coming from surely.

A valid point but still a wrong one.

The assumption that any mosque would automatically be a gloating celebration of terrorism. Is well dangerous. Dangerous and unfair.

By all means insist the mosque is part of an overall plan for commemorating the site. But to say it shouldn't be there. Is to by assumption point a big finger. And push more Muslims away from the mainstream.