British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 484

They change the setting every episode generally. Where as Old Who generally stuck to 3-6 parters, allowing character development, suspense, investment etc. And husbanding resources by not forever needing to change the sets.

That's what I mean by stretched. It's a good thing. Ashes to Ashes streched it's purgatory story over a whole season. And gave it far more power.

Unless you were referring to stretching your johnson.

Quote: sootyj @ May 23 2010, 10:36 PM BST

They change the setting every episode generally. Where as Old Who generally stuck to 3-6 parters,

Well sure, but it's a different show in some respects now, a different TV landscape. Would it work just as well in the modern TV climate as 3,4,6, whatever parters? Possibly. Certainly for us a little older it would still be fine, I know that. Though when it came back, I agreed with RTD, that four part, or whatever stories, just felt wrong if you were trying to grab as many people as possible and keep them coming back. Now it's done that, possibly there's an argument for having more stories that last longer than one episode.

I just watched the last episode and felt with a bit more room to breath it would have been aces. BSG and Lost have proven people can take multi year arc plots.

Quote: sootyj @ May 23 2010, 10:55 PM BST

I just watched the last episode and felt with a bit more room to breath it would have been aces. BSG and Lost have proven people can take multi year arc plots.

This is true, but probably more adults than kids watch those shows, they're adult shows; Dr Whos is a family show and therefore has many more kid viewers compared to those. Would they stick around for the long haul? That would probably be seen as a risk by those making the show.

But I agree, a few longer stories would be nice.

But Lost and BSG were very expensive shows for adults that invested heavily in writers. Doctor Who, as much as I like it, is a considerably cheaper show predominantly for kids.

True but Grangehill, the Changes etc have shown kids don't mind the odd long one (ooh er!) It's certainly a bargain show that produces amazing value for the BBC.

Sure, with a bit of imagination you can do wonders with a small budget, as Cube or Blair Witch prove.

Cube is a great film.

Boundless human stupidity.

Quote: Nogget @ May 23 2010, 9:57 PM BST

So considering that flagged it up so conspicuously, presumably Amy's diamond ring is going to play a significant role in the second part? Are they going to drill with it?

Ooh, clever. Chekhov's gun.

You might be on to something there Nog.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 23 2010, 11:11 PM BST

Cube is a great film.

Start a thread with that as the premise and I will fight you to the death.

How can you not like Cube??

Quote: zooo @ May 24 2010, 1:44 AM BST

How can you not like Cube??

I didn't dislike it, not at all. It passed the time.

I just thought it was a bit overhyped for what it was. Fair enough, for a low-budget flick it was alright, but there's loads of high-concept, low-budget genre flicks that were miles better and could be called genuinely "great".

Saw, Primer, Memento...

Gimme a minute and I'll think of some more. ;)

Oh, yeah, The Killing Room. Recent. Wouldn't say it was a "great", but definitely better than Cube.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1119191/

Cube's not brilliant but it's such a great idea it's engrossing.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 24 2010, 1:54 AM BST

Saw, Primer, Memento...

Yep, those are great. And so is Cube!

I suppose I should wait until both parts have been broadcast before I comment, but in the interim, this was shit.

This looked and sounded like DW when Tennant was in it to me, lazy writing, unconscious references to other things - the interview with the Silurians was straight out of Planet of the Apes - lots of boring running around and a pointless continuity cash-in - this time in the form of a Pertwee monster.

Over reliance on the sonic screwdriver - here used (improbably) to hack a computer system. What's wrong with using the f**king keyboard? I'm starting to fear that the screwdriver is part of the 'branding' of the new Who and it is seen as his light sabre. The Doctor should be much more about cobbled together solutions and deep, gadget-filled pockets - which children love BTW - much more than a stick with a flashing green light - you cretins.

A few others things. Meera Syal cannot act and should not be on TV. Or the radio.

And why do they persist with this bollocks of the Doctor being the last of his race. Who dreamed this idea up? I have heard it several times now. He isn't.