British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 477

The reason is the relationship between Doctor and companion isn't supposed to be sexual.

Not that the Doctor is 'gay' or the companion's ugly/a chav.

Has there been much camp pantomime stuff this series? There was quite a lot in previous series.

Okay, I'm going to say it. Matt Smith is the best Doctor since Tom Baker. And this series is very good.

Quote: Badge @ May 17 2010, 12:47 AM BST

Okay, I'm going to say it. Matt Smith is the best Doctor since Tom Baker. And this series is very good.

Cautiously, yes.

But I think it's more about the writing.

Angry

To David: Console

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 17 2010, 12:48 AM BST

Cautiously, yes.

But I think it's more about the writing.

Not disagreeing there. Tennant could hardly make the so-called specials into a silk purse. But there's something about this Smith lad, no mistake.

Quote: zooo @ May 17 2010, 12:50 AM BST

Angry

To David: Console

Open your eyes, zooo! Allons-y!

Smith is really good, I'm very relieved at how good he is and what he's bringing to the Doctor. But he is nowhere near as good as Tennant. :)

I think he's doing a great job so far, he brings something totally different to the part and I think that's what the series needed. My kids don't agree, but it's really true that everyone has their own doctor and my kids have picked theirs already.

Quote: jacparov @ May 16 2010, 10:50 PM BST

I just wondered because in Byron's: On The Death Of A Young Lady - it mentions weeping angels. There is also a poem called The Dream which had some similarites to this weeks episode, at least to me it felt that way.

I read a lot of Byron when I was at Uni please don't make me do it again :(

Old GG would have made a good Doctor Who.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 17 2010, 12:06 AM BST

The show was gay under RTD.

That gayness was reflected in the Doctor's character.

There was camp in the series, sure, but I don't see any 'gayness' reflected in the Doctors character. This is something you and others are bringing to it. Obviously that's all well and fine, if that's what you see. I have to say I really don't understand what it is that you're seeing as gay in him? Or is it that you just find Tennant not as 'macho' as, say, Ecclstone.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ May 17 2010, 12:06 AM BST

There was no particular reason Tennant's Doc didn't bang Rose. Smith at least has a reason for not banging Amy.

Apart from the fact he's The Doctor and the character doesn't really go there. To have him suddenly 'banging' companions would be a slightly jarring development for the character, it has nothing to do with him being 'gay'. Or RTD being gay so couldn't possibly have his character sexing ladies.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 16 2010, 4:07 PM BST

Finally watched this weeks episode, really liked it. Very tight episode, lots of lovely weird bits, the Dream Lord was ace, it was funny; one of the strongest of a strong series. Loving Rory too, a great addition. I wonder if the Dream Lord thing, whether it was The Doctor himself or not, will appear again at some point. When he looked at his reflection at the end and saw the Dream Lord reflected back, it seemed to suggest so, though I'm probably reading too much into that.

Bring out the gimp! You can't really believe this - 'very tight', 'ace', 'funny', 'one of the strongest of a strong series'. I doubt even Simon Nye's mum thought it was this good.

DW is the best SF show in the world - it deserves the very best scripts. This felt like a filler script written in a few days. In fact it reminded me of the Hartnell story The Edge of Destruction which was precisely that.

That story has the Doctor and his assistants falling unconscious then behaving strangely, a malfunctioning Tardis spiraling back to the beginning of time and even ice and snow - right at the end. Bet Nye got 'The Beginning' DVD box set for Christmas.

It was better than the vampire one though, and the second story with the whale.

Quote: Badge @ May 17 2010, 12:47 AM BST

I agree with the first part.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 17 2010, 3:23 PM BST

Bring out the gimp! You can't really believe this -

You're right, it's all a big game I'm playing and you fell for it, you big fool!

Godot I saw Edge of Destruction. It may well have been one of the worst bits of TV ever made. The only good bit was that the Tardis had a drinks dispenser that did milk or water.

Old Who was frequnetly dull, silly, cheap and tear inducingly pointless. Yes there were good episodes and even great ones.

Quote: sootyj @ May 17 2010, 4:09 PM BST

Old Who was frequnetly dull, silly, cheap and tear inducingly pointless. Yes there were good episodes and even great ones.

Odd that whereas 'classic' Who is loved for things like the rubbish monsters, and the shaky sets, new Who is hated for its faults...often by the very same people.