British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 471

Nice little twist at the end.

Quote: chipolata @ May 15 2010, 7:09 PM BST

And Aaron and Zooo's son was very good too. Hope we see him again.

?

Unimpressed

It was ace. Great creepy atmosphere and hardly any stupid shit CGI.
Could have done without the lame mouth alien bits, there must be a better way of doing it... something that isn't CGI, and isn't the rubbish prosthetics of '60s Dr Who, but something inbetween.
It needs good prosthetics/effects like American Werewolf. Which must be even better by now, 30 years later.

Quote: Nil Putters @ May 15 2010, 7:14 PM BST

?

Whistling nnocently

Quote: zooo @ May 15 2010, 7:19 PM BST

Unimpressed

It was ace. Great creepy atmosphere and hardly any stupid shit CGI.
Could have done without the lame mouth alien bits, there must be a better way of doing it... something that isn't CGI, and isn't the rubbish prosthetics of '60s Dr Who, but something inbetween.
It needs good prosthetics/effects like American Werewolf. Which must be even better by now, 30 years later.

Yes. Interesting points. Trouble is, I think CGI has become the default special effect technology, so ironically prosthetics probably haven't moved on very much at all since the eighties.

Ah, possibly.

Bring it back, I say!

Am starting to despise CGI.

Yeah enough with the silly reveal monster in the mouth stuff let's be a bit cleverer.

Getting ready to watch the second Weeping Angels episode. Might be alone watching. Connor was weirded out by seeing them move in the previews.

Ach a teeny tiny litte detail, it was obvious a bargain basement effect in an otherwise expensive episode.

Quote: sootyj @ May 15 2010, 10:44 PM BST

Ach a teeny tiny litte detail, it was obvious a bargain basement effect in an otherwise expensive episode.

Maybe but enough with the teeth already.

I didn't really notice the teeth this time. I suppose it's a relatively cheap effect.

The effects maybe poor. But it's part of a much stronger commitment to script/plot/character in my view.

Quote: Marc P @ May 15 2010, 10:43 PM BST

Yeah enough with the silly reveal monster in the mouth stuff let's be a bit cleverer.

They were like a cross between the screaming pod people in the second Invasion of the Bodysnatchers film, and the the phallic mouth protuberances in Cronenberg's Shivers. Although not as effective as either.

The monsters didn't seem to be the main focus in this episode anyhow.
If it wasn't for the Weeping Angels I'd definitely say it was my favourite of the series.

What's next week? They're not Sea Devils or Silurians are they?

Must be the Cybermen soon after that, I hope they give them a good story this time around.

Do you think the extras playing the Old People were really old people?

Or ordinary extras with make up.

Mind you probably plenty of OAP in Cardiff for the BBC to employ for a few pence extra on their pension.

Ha, real old people. Except a couple of the stunts maybe.

I must say I did enjoy Amy's boyfriend whacking an old lady with a bit of wood. :)

Quote: zooo @ May 16 2010, 1:51 AM BST

Ha, real old people. Except a couple of the stunts maybe.

I must say I did enjoy Amy's boyfriend whacking an old lady with a bit of wood. :)

Though, on set, it wasn't really wood, just expanded polystyrene.

:D

Must be quite a few grandkids watching & saying ooooh look, Grandma (or Grandad) is on the telly in Doctor Who.

They'll never want to go aroiund for tea at their grandparents again.

:O

Wow, that was really, really naff. It takes more than a couple of philip k dick novels and a short bloke from a David Lynch movie to impress me. Another fail. At this rate I won't make it through to the end of the series.

I see that next week's episode is set on... Earth. I am lost for words.