British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 469

My 2 year old daughter has suddenly become hooked on Doctor Who.

Why does nobody sell a Dalek soft toy?

A young child might swallow the eye stalk.

My 3 kids are obsessed with it. I am currently creating a pattern so I can crochet an adipose for my youngest. And I think the plans are still on for building a TARDIS for a coat closet.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ May 11 2010, 12:48 PM BST

I think the plans are still on for building a TARDIS for a coat closet.

I wish I had a Tardis to put their toys in, it might free up some space.

Quote: Nogget @ May 11 2010, 12:51 PM BST

I wish I had a Tardis to put their toys in, it might free up some space.

Laughing out loud Yeah, me too.

Actually, I think I'd go in it and come out in 15 years time when they've left home. I'd still be able to pop back in time to enjoy seeing them grow up, of course; if I really wanted.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ May 11 2010, 12:35 PM BST

A young child might swallow the eye stalk.

Not if it's properly attached. Why should it be any more dangerous than allowing a bear to have a leg or a toy elephant to have a trunk?

Quote: AndreaLynne @ May 11 2010, 12:48 PM BST

And I think the plans are still on for building a TARDIS for a coat closet.

Hmmm. Not a bad idea. The littl'un has a blue canvas wardrobe that might get painted...

You can get TARDIS wardrobes from Argos.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0177005/Trail/searchtext%3EDR+WHO.htm

My granddad was a master carpenter and I inherited most of his woodworking paraphernalia. So building a real TARDIS is something I look forward to doing. Although my daughter could use more closet space...thanks Bex!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 9 2010, 10:32 AM BST

It opens locks, I don't think it slides bolts out of the way.

Now Matthew :) It can open complicated alien computer generated laser and tungsten and what not time shifted locks but it can't open a sixteenth century bolt.... no! Consistency within the imaginary universe is all we ask for. Lets not be afraid to say when they got it wrong. I loved watching the ep for all it's minor faults there was some great stuff in it. Didn't need the morphing to silly spider/lobster creature with the same teeth we have seen before mind.

Quote: zooo @ May 9 2010, 2:11 PM BST

Because you think we're ugly and ginger?

The Doctor jumping out of the cake would have been an amusing surprise if they hadn't put it in the bloody trailer/clips last week. Gah.

Don't watch the trailers!!!!!!! Doh!

Quote: Marc P @ May 12 2010, 11:09 PM BST

Don't watch the trailers!!!!!!!

Or the programme, in the case of Doctors! Pleased

I saw it again today. :) It wasn't actually a trailer, it was that advert they show several times a day of clips from all the big current BBC shows edited together.

I couldn't have avoided it if I'd tried!

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 10 2010, 1:47 AM BST

Male assistants will always be spare pricks until the doctor is a woman and we got along fine for years with the tacit assumption that the doctor was knobbing his female companion.

Yes, it is the old mistake to think that it is grown up to be explicit about sex, whereas grown ups don't need you to be.

Don't watch the trailers!!!!!!! Doh!

TV trailers have got to be as bad as film trailers. They have ceased to be teasers and have become precis, so you can bluff having seen the show without having to go to the tedious trouble of watching it.

Now Matthew :) It can open complicated alien computer generated laser and tungsten and what not time shifted locks but it can't open a sixteenth century bolt.... no! Consistency within the imaginary universe is all we ask for. Lets not be afraid to say when they got it wrong.

I wasn't afraid?! I think, consistently, it hasn't been able to push up and slide along big chunks of metal. Maybe it should be able to, but it never has, and it's an imaginary instrument, so I suppose it's up to the writers to say what it can and can't do! :D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 13 2010, 8:56 AM BST

I wasn't afraid?! I think, consistently, it hasn't been able to push up and slide along big chunks of metal. Maybe it should be able to, but it never has, and it's an imaginary instrument, so I suppose it's up to the writers to say what it can and can't do! :D

Well I was behind the sofa, mind you I had dropped a twenty pence piece. :) All locks slide metal out of the way to open them - look at an ordinary lock for example, a key turns a number of metal slides that move the small stubby bolt out of the way to open the door. But I am being picky I know. I'll shut up now.

Quote: chipolata @ May 12 2010, 11:19 PM BST

Or the programme, in the case of Doctors! Pleased

I think you're safe for quite a while! :)