British Comedy Guide

Sitcom (Com)Mission Page 80

Geek "Biogs" are fine and I also believe Karl Pilkington has a point. Teary

To tide you all over a weekend with no Sitcom Mission, I've uploaded a brand new video to the Sitcom Trials archives. It's from the ITV1 Sitcom Trials series, starring James Holmes off of BBC's Miranda in his own one man sitcom Jimmy James. Not been seen since its live broadcast and never been online before. Features the never-broadcast ending (well, sort of. You'll see). Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSup307XhM0

Hi all

Tickets selling well for Monday, we're 3/4 sold already so make sure you book in advance if you're coming.

Also, just to remind you of our Introduction to Sitcom Writing workshop on June 5th in London. We'll make sure it's the best damned £30 you've ever spent on your sitcom writing career to date, if not ever.

Details are here https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/2/

Cheers, Declan

good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, good luck to all involved tonight.

Indeed. Good luck to everyone.

Hello all

Another sell-out show last night, with over 30 seats going to punters at the 5pm show too, which was also chocka with industry including no less than Paul (flipping eck and crikey The Young Ones) Jackson.

Judges were Anna Madley (Programme Developer, Avalon), Dave Cohen (writer, HIGNFY, My Family), Alexi Duggin (TV Critic, Time Out) and Esta Charkham (comedy producer, Nightingales, Boon, Birds Of A Feather).

First up was Jules Bower's The Honeys, directed by James Kermack, followed by Arthouse by Graeme Knowles, directed by Sacha Grimsditch. Next came Custody by Paul Stokes, directed by Lisa Cagnacci and then Russell Obeney's The Box, directed by Howard Teale.

In the audience votes, The Box swept the 5pm show with 31 votes, compared to The Honeys (19), Arthouse (15) and Custody (11). In the evening show, Custody had a rip-roaring success with 48, followed by The Box on 33, Arthouse on 23 and The Honeys on 14. The Box now sits in third place on the leaderboard with Custody on fourth.

Deadly Danger = 71
Thunderer = 71
The Box 64
Custody 59
Pints 46
Sitting Ducks 42
Arthouse 38
Sarantasia 38
The End Of Fun 37
Should Know Better 35
The Honeys 33
The Selected Few 27
Gladiators 25
Sons Of Diamond 21
Stand And Deliver = 20
The Moo Crew = 20

After much deliberation, and a split decision from the judges that had them, and us, talking long after the choices had been made, the industry professionals went for Arthouse and Custody to go through to the semi-finals. We'll see them in the next two weeks.

Commiserations to The Box and The Honeys, we'll miss you guys and we know we'll see you again. Thanks for making a great show.

Jess Fostekew was the ball of energy that was the superb MC, while the Scat Pack did their now legendary job of rounding the evening off with their improvised brilliance. Deb Jones made it all look smooth and easy with her flawless stage management.

Next up: Monday 17th and the first semi-final.

The Moo Crew
Should Know Better
Deadly Danger
Custody

Would anybody like to place their bets on who goes through to the Grand Final from that line up? Way too close to call...

And don't forget our Introduction to Sitcom Writing workshop on June 5th, details are here https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/2/

Cheers, see you next week

Declan and Simon

Well congratulations to both Arthouse and Custody, plus well done to The Box... even though it's scuppered my hopes of "Pints" scrounging the audience vote wildcard place.

Bravo!

Penge,

You might not be out of it yet. Maybe you could form a progressive alliance with another sitcom, combine your votes and get into the final like that? An alliance like that could change the face of sitcom competitions forever.

:D

Quote: Penge @ May 11 2010, 5:45 PM BST

Well congratulations to both Arthouse and Custody, plus well done to The Box... even though it's scuppered my hopes of "Pints" scrounging the audience vote wildcard place.

Bravo!

Thanks on behalf of Arthouse Penge. I'm sure you'll have better luck next year.

Quote: Joel Slack-Smith @ May 11 2010, 6:15 PM BST

You might not be out of it yet. Maybe you could form a progressive alliance with another sitcom, combine your votes and get into the final like that? An alliance like that could change the face of sitcom competitions forever.

So I'd be like The Sitcom Mission's very own Clegg? I guess it might work, plus I do look good in yellow.

:) With a blue tinge to the lips.

was it a semi-final last night?

Hello all

Suffice to say, it was a sell-out for the 8pm show as the first Semi-final kicked into gear.

Judges were comedy producers Dawn Ellis, Chris Potts and Carlton Dixon, Time Out TV Editor Gabriel Tate and Hattie Hayridge (Holly from Red Dwarf as if you needed telling).

In contention for the first Semi-final were:

The Moo Crew by Joel Slack-Smith, directed by Lisa Cagnacci.
Should Know Better by Natalie Johnson, directed by Suzann McLean
Deadly Danger, written and directed by Mike Hayley
Custody by Paul Stokes, directed by Lisa Cagnacci

Custody did its usual policy (police-y?) of sweeping the 8pm vote and took 72 votes over the two shows, with Deadly Danger on 71. These were clear winners with the audience, and with the judges as well and we'll see them in the Grand Final on June 7th. The Moo Crew took 24 votes and Should Know Better was on 19.

The leaderboard now looks like this:

(* = already through to the Grand Final on judges' vote):

Deadly Danger 142*
Custody 131*
Thunderer 71
The Box 64
Should Know Better 54
Pints 46
The Moo Crew 44
Sitting Ducks 42
Arthouse 38
Sarantasia 38
The End Of Fun 37
The Honeys 33
The Selected Few 27
Gladiators 25
Sons Of Diamond 21
Stand And Deliver 20

MC Jess Fostekew made the audience feel very much at home and delivered a seamless show, while the Scat Pack did their now legendary job of rounding the evening off with their improvised brilliance. Deb Jones made it all look smooth and easy with her flawless stage management.

Next week sees an incredibly strong Semi-final, so we'll see what the comedy gods throw up for us then.

Gladiators
The Selected Few
Thunderer
Arthouse

Four sitcoms enter... two sitcoms leave.

Once again, anyone want to guess on the Grand Final line-up?

And don't forget our Introduction to Sitcom Writing workshop on June 5th, details are here https://www.comedy.co.uk/sitcom_mission/workshops/2/

Cheers, see you next week

Declan and Simon

Big Thanks to Simon and Declan for all their effort on The Sitcom Mission. I've been in three under the direction of Lisa Cagnacci and I've been having a great time. I'm proud to be in the final with Custody by Paul Stokes.

I've also been blogging about the competition the past few weeks on my blog, The Actor Begins, so you can see what it's like from an actor's P.O.V if you like: http://www.theactorbegins.com

Good luck to the next round of semi-finalists. Particularly the cast and crew of 'Thunderer' who rock!

See you at the final!

Rhys