British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 466

Quote: chipolata @ May 9 2010, 11:42 AM BST

Why do I think these are what Aaron and Zooo's children will grow up to look like?

Because you think we're ugly and ginger?

The Doctor jumping out of the cake would have been an amusing surprise if they hadn't put it in the bloody trailer/clips last week. Gah.

Quote: zooo @ May 9 2010, 2:11 PM BST

Because you think we're ugly and ginger?

NOOOOOOO!

Quote: zooo @ May 9 2010, 2:11 PM BST

The Doctor jumping out of the cake would have been an amusing surprise if they hadn't put it in the bloody trailer/clips last week. Gah.

They also muffed it by having it before the title music. So you had sinister set up scene, jokey stag scene, ominous opening titles!

Ha, the fooools. I liked that the 1580s Venice guy ended up wearing one of the Stag t-shirts.

Was anybody else reeeeeeally excited to see Gilbert from Being Human on our TV screens?

I was scared. He looked horrible!

I wonder if the Vampire Girls were the same actresses who played the Weeping Angels ?

Oh dear. This was brutally bad. If I see another actor hissing through prop teeth that make him unable to close his mouth I'm gonna puke.

Too much levity, too much Rory, too much vampires and too much earth. For f**ksake, stop writing stories set on earth! It's earth again next week - or some variant of it. No more earth!

The sequence where the vampire lore was explained with reference to the 'perception filter' and the unconscious was tedious in the extreme.

Most people on this thread won't care but life-long Who-nuts held countless autopsies on the show in the years that it was off our screens and they all came up with the same conclusions: deadly to the show is constantly setting the stories on Earth, over-adherence to continuity, the omnipotence of the sonic screwdriver and two or more companions. All of which we have at the moment. The boyfriend + girlfriend combination invented by Russell Davies is particularly unwelcome.

Male assistants will always be spare pricks until the doctor is a woman and we got along fine for years with the tacit assumption that the doctor was knobbing his female companion.

On the plus side I continue to enjoy Matt Smith and Amy Pond. They are both bringing real excitement and depth to the parts. Obviously lose the bow tie at some point.

But that's my favourite thingg.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 10 2010, 1:47 AM BST

life-long Who-nuts held countless autopsies on the show in the years that it was off our screens and they all came up with the same conclusions:

A big part of the New Who success (in terms of viewing figures) lay in the fact that it broke away from what the old fans wanted. A lot of the new fans actually enjoyed all the EastEnders stuff which us old-timers despise so vehemently. Typical reactions from new fans would be in the form of "I cried so much when Rose blah blah blah..." To my mind, crying should only occur in the audience if they are,like, 7 years old and they are scared out of their tiny minds.

However, I liked the introduction of the boyfriend. It doesn't matter how many companions they are, it's how well-written it is that makes it worthwhile. I'm coming to the conclusion that what made previous series so awful was that RTD had absolutely no feeling for proper emotions, and simply wrote 2-dimensional ones. The average Eastender fan didn't notice any problem, because they wrongly imagined that simply giving buckets of emotions to a character is automatically a good thing.

You were almost there Godot.

But Jamie McKinnon the most nails of all Who companions.

N.B. I found Rose on her own an utterly charmless nitwit. But Rose and Mickey had a real energy.

Quote: Nogget @ May 10 2010, 6:28 AM BST

A big part of the New Who success (in terms of viewing figures) lay in the fact that it broke away from what the old fans wanted. A lot of the new fans actually enjoyed all the EastEnders stuff which us old-timers despise so vehemently.

This. As much as some may dislike it, it's played a big part in why the show is a success again.

In interviews Moffat has said it's cheaper to set stories on earth.

Quote: chipolata @ May 10 2010, 8:53 AM BST

In interviews Moffat has said it's cheaper to set stories on earth.

Yes, this was one reason why RTD did it too. It's a practical thing really, more than a creative choice. At least they've moved away from being too modern London-centric.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 10 2010, 8:57 AM BST

Yes, this was one reason why RTD did it too. It's a practical thing really, more than a creative choice. At least they've moved away from being too modern London-centric.

Now they're quaint-English-village centric!

Quote: chipolata @ May 10 2010, 9:04 AM BST

Now they're quaint-English-village centric!

:D That does some more Doctor Who than the grimy big city though.