British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 464

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 8 2010, 7:22 PM BST

Well, most machines do have an on and off swith, don't they? Otherwise how would you start and stop them?

I listened to Tom Baker reading Doctor Who and the Creature from the Pit today, and there was no 'off' switch for their doomsday machine.

Quote: Nogget @ May 8 2010, 7:29 PM BST

I listened to Tom Baker reading Doctor Who and the Creature from the Pit today, and there was no 'off' switch for their doomsday machine.

What about a standby button?
Although they are bad for the environment, those buttons.

Quote: Nogget @ May 8 2010, 7:29 PM BST

Ha!

It's obviously a poor way to beat what was happening, but it doesn't make the fact that most machines have an on and off switch any less true! :D

Plus it wasn't a doomsday device, it was a machine with a purpose, environmental change, I imagine when it done its job, bits of it would need turning off.

But yeah, a bit of an 'oh' moment when the solution is an off switch.

Maybe there was some other idea that had to be scrapped; too much money or something? It does feel like you would have read it and said it needed something better as a solution.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 8 2010, 7:31 PM BST

But yeah, a bit of an 'oh' moment when the solution is an off switch.

But still a lot more satisfying than the usual wave the sonic screw driver at it and reverse everything....

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 8 2010, 7:31 PM BST

most machines have an on and off switch

Not all devices have off switches.
I would have designed it more like a gun, which has a trigger as a switch, and once the bullet is on its way, there is no off switch. Cessation occurs once the target is achieved.

But that part didn't overly bother me. I'd already got bored early on.
I really need to take whatever it is that you have which turns an indifferent episode into such an enjoyable experience.

All that episode induced in me was a desire to play Assassin's Creed II.

Getting ready to watch the Weeping Angels episode with Connor tonight. Also getting ready for being woken up multiple times tonight by Connor because he will undoubtedly be weirded out.

Quote: Nogget @ May 8 2010, 7:41 PM BST

I really need to take whatever it is that you have which turns an indifferent episode into such an enjoyable experience.

Different people have different takes on the same thing, happens all the time. It wasn't a top drawer episode, but it was a fun watch. There was a certain flair to the look and direction, great interplay between the three regulars and lots of funny exchanges and bits of business; and the story was well suited to a single episode.

The alien I wasn't keen on, there was something creepier they could have been, more so than the CGI fish. It was the same thing with Prizoner Zero in ep 1, something more than a CGI beast is needed to create any sense of fear or atmosphere. The idea of all those monsters in the water was pretty creepy, crying out for hordes of rotten things crawling zombie like out of the water. Or something.

Any episode described as 'a romp' (e.g. Planet Of The Dead)is generally poor to middling, but I did think this one was a lot of fun; damp squib of an ending aside.

Apparently people who are really in love with Doctor Who, masturbate to Darleks V Cybermen regularly...

Quote: Scottidog @ May 8 2010, 11:36 PM BST

Apparently people who are really in love with Doctor Who, masturbate to Darleks V Cybermen regularly...

Right.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 8 2010, 11:37 PM BST

Right.

I thought so.

Quote: Scottidog @ May 8 2010, 11:38 PM BST

I thought so.

You clever.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 8 2010, 11:39 PM BST

You clever.

Cheers Matty x

Next week's looks reeeally good.

Quote: zooo @ May 8 2010, 11:53 PM BST

Next week's looks reeeally good.

And it's got the Truman Capote fellow who was sadly ignored in favour of Philip Seymour Hoffman's Truman Capote.