British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 462

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 5 2010, 12:10 AM BST

I would imagine at least a third of the current Doctor Who audience is over 35 and they will have seen State of Decay. Ask Kenneth - I bet he's seen it - and sooty - and badge.

I'm not in a state of decay yet, though I would like to see another vampire episode - or even just a stuck in the TARDIS episode - as long as it's well written and acted (and isn't awash with sentimental sludge). State of Decay was one of Terrance Dicks' last Who scripts, though he had actually written it a few years earlier, only for the BBC to axe it the first time around because they didn't want a Doctor Who vampire story to clash with a Dracula drama production being broadcast at the time.

Quote: Kenneth @ May 5 2010, 6:23 AM BST

I would like to see another vampire episode - or even just a stuck in the TARDIS episode - as long as it's well written and acted (and isn't awash with sentimental sludge).

That's the bottom line, although I must admit my heart sinks when there's an episode featuring witches, ghosts or any traditional character, and oh my, what a surprise, they are actually aliens.

Having said that, there was a Torchwood episode with Fairies* by Peter J. Hammond which was pretty good, so the principle isn't at fault.

*go on, make the obvious gag.

I would imagine at least a third of the current Doctor Who audience is over 35 and they will have seen State of Decay.

Well they may well have done, but most of that large group probably saw it when it went out-which was a looooooong time ago. Before I was even born. Most won't have their own copy or anything that they've watched since, so I think something like vampires is fine for another pass.

I would imagine at least a third of the current Doctor Who audience is over 35 and they will have been wanking over Amy Pond's mini skirt. Ask Kenneth - I bet he's seen it - and sooty - and badge.

Bloody cheek! I'm River Song boobies al the way.

I think you'll be seeing them again in a few weeks, Soots. I would imagine that scenes featuring RS and her red shoes will crop up later in the series as the party she was at and her activity on the Byzantium was never explained.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 5 2010, 8:48 AM BST

Well they may well have done, but most of that large group probably saw it when it went out-which was a looooooong time ago. Before I was even born. Most won't have their own copy or anything that they've watched since, so I think something like vampires is fine for another pass.

Vampire diaries, True Blood, Twilight - haven't you had enough of vampires at the moment? I have and I only read the titles.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 5 2010, 3:13 PM BST

I

Vampire diaries, True Blood, Twilight - haven't you had enough of vampires at the moment? I have and I only read the titles.

It could be seen as a bit bandwagonish and maybe a tad late.

Quote: Marc P @ May 5 2010, 3:30 PM BST

It could be seen as a bit bandwagonish and maybe a tad late.

This is true.

Have to wait and see though - I am sure it will be done well.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ May 5 2010, 3:13 PM BST

Well I've only watched True Blood out of those, which I liked. When it comes down to it, I only care if the episode is any good or not, I'm not fussed what the apparent monster/baddie is going to be.

Quote: Badhead @ May 4 2010, 6:10 PM BST

Am I the only person who think Peter Davison was a very good Doctor?

He wasn't bad but when he took over the show wasn't as good as it had been in the 70's.
It started to go Downhill towards the end of Tom Bakers reign & never really improved.
Having said that I didn't watch much of Mckoy so maybe he turned it around a bit.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ May 5 2010, 8:54 PM BST

Having said that I didn't watch much of Mckoy so maybe he turned it around a bit.

McCoys last two series had some really great stuff in it. Though you'll always get some who despise him for some reason. But yeah, those last two years before it got cancelled the show had found its feet again.

I remember watching one of McKoys & I did like his sense of underlying menace.
A bit mysterious but obviously powerful.

I think Bonnie Langford had gone by then so I ventured out from behind the sofa.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ May 5 2010, 9:09 PM BST

I remember watching one of McKoys & I did like his sense of underlying menace.
A bit mysterious but obviously powerful.

I think Bonnie Langford had gone by then so I ventured out from behind the sofa.

Yeah, she'd gone by the end of McCoys first series. Thank God. His first series was ropey to say the least. But then in his last two years, Remembrance Of The Daleks! Ghostlight! The Curse Of Fenric! Greatest SHow In The Galaxy! Survival! The Happines Patrol! Great stuff. (Keep your gob shut Sooty!!!)

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ May 5 2010, 8:54 PM BST

He wasn't bad but when he took over the show wasn't as good as it had been in the 70's.
It started to go Downhill towards the end of Tom Bakers reign & never really improved.

JNT usually cops the blame for this - and perhaps rightly so, but I feel Chris Bidmead and Eric Saward also deserve some of the blame. Rewatching Logopolis recently, the entire set-up and content of the Master's speech to the universe is dire. I can't imagine Terrance Dicks, Robert Holmes or Douglas Adams letting that go through without making it more believable.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 5 2010, 9:15 PM BST

Yeah, she'd gone by the end of McCoys first series. Thank God. His first series was ropey to say the least. But then in his last two years, Remembrance Of The Daleks! Ghostlight! The Curse Of Fenric! Greatest SHow In The Galaxy! Survival! The Happines Patrol! Great stuff. (Keep your gob shut Sooty!!!)

You forgot about me. Most of those shows are toilet.

Quote: Kenneth @ May 5 2010, 11:12 PM BST

JNT usually cops the blame for this - and perhaps rightly so, but I feel Chris Bidmead and Eric Saward also deserve some of the blame. Rewatching Logopolis recently, the entire set-up and content of the Master's speech to the universe is dire. I can't imagine Terrance Dicks, Robert Holmes or Douglas Adams letting that go through without making it more believable.

Saward came to his senses just before the end. He fell out with JNT over theTrial scripts didn't he? I remember reading an interview where he said he went down into the BBC archives and watched some old tapes for the first time. He couldn't believe how much better stuff like Talons of Weng Chiang was. This was the time that Robert Holmes died. He'd got close to the writer and that capped it all for him.

As you said a while back, Dicks is still alive - as is Chris Boucher. These cats should be writing for the show. F**k Chibnal - he's a hack and I can't stand Richard Curtis.