British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 458

I liked the wasp one!

But The Doctor's Daughter was poo.

Quote: zooo @ May 2 2010, 10:39 PM BST

I liked the wasp one!

:O

It was funnnnn!

I think this is the best series of WHO so far.

At the risk of alienating myself, I find Dr Who to be tedious and extremely overrated. The only thing worse than it is Torchwood. My wife watches both. If we ever get divorced, I am going to site that fact as unreasonable behaviour.

Quote: Badge @ May 2 2010, 10:35 PM BST

And that trend is bound to continue as eps 6 and 7 of series four were The Doctor's Daughter and The Unicorn and the Wasp.

I kind of remember you bigging up series four at the time though, Matthew? Maybe some sort of crack has sorted that out. ;)

Hey, I liked series four, I haven't changed my mind! But when you compare like for like, this year has been so obviously better. Richer. Even the look and style of direction seems a step up. Direction-wise, most specifically, episode one and this two parter, which I believe are the work of the same director.

I liked the first five episodes of four, but I've loved the first five episodes of five. I do think, Library onwards, that four improved a lot. That, Mindnight and Turn Left were muuuuch better than the episodes beforehand.

Quote: will Cam @ May 2 2010, 11:23 PM BST

At the risk of alienating myself, I find Dr Who to be tedious and extremely overrated. The only thing worse than it is Torchwood. My wife watches both. If we ever get divorced, I am going to site that fact as unreasonable behaviour.

Well yes, as this is a thread about Dr Who, it might be an opinion a touch out of step with the rest of the people who post here! :D

Quote: zooo @ May 2 2010, 11:00 PM BST

It was funnnnn!

I think I said elsewhere, I think that one would have been better if they'd even have dropped the monster; just had it a propper Christie who dunnit episode.

Well yes, as this is a thread about Dr Who, it might be an opinion a touch out of step with the rest of the pople who post here! :D

You're right. I'll get me coat....... :$

Quote: will Cam @ May 2 2010, 11:40 PM BST

You're right. I'll get me coat....... :$

No, stick around. I think New Who has been largely downhill since the departure of Christopher Ecclestone. Much as I like Matt Smith, I detest the mawkish sentimentality and the ethereal incidental music. Hopefully things will get better and Terrance Dicks will be asked to write an episode before he dies.

Quote: Kenneth @ May 3 2010, 10:32 AM BST

No, stick around. I think New Who has been largely downhill since the departure of Christopher Ecclestone. Much as I like Matt Smith, I detest the mawkish sentimentality and the ethereal incidental music. Hopefully things will get better and Terrance Dicks will be asked to write an episode before he dies.

Well, one mans mawkish sentimentality is another mans emotion. The show, to make a go of it now, needs to have characters with actual fleshed out emotions. I can't say I saw anything that could be labelled mawkish in this latest two parter for instance, but their were several emotionally charged scenes.

I think, series for series, Ecclestone's run had about as many crackers and duffers as the ones that have followed. Let's not forget The Long Game, or the sodding Slitheen. Christ, The Slitheen were a terrible creation, much more suited to the world of Sarah Jane, where they've thankfully been farmed off to now.

Watching the Ecclestone ones again, I'd say that Who has improved with each new Doctor since then, especially in terms of mawklessness (!). Poor old Chris was forever put into what looked like Eastenders' scenes, with mawk-packed scenes. Tennant had a better time of things, and now Smith has so far been blessed by mawkfreeness. It's like a revelation. Other brilliant improvements are scripts without insulting plot holes and none of RTD's deus ex machina; which perhaps should be renamed RuTDEM'S.

Quote: Nogget @ May 3 2010, 12:07 PM BST

Watching the Ecclestone ones again, I'd say that Who has improved with each new Doctor since then, especially in terms of mawklessness (!). Poor old Chris was forever put into what looked like Eastenders' scenes, with mawk-packed scenes. Tennant had a better time of things, and now Smith has so far been blessed by mawkfreeness.

Absolute balderdash. Witnessing Matt Smith doing the "last of my kind" speech and then later hugging the redhead made me cringe in repulsion. And that horrible incidental music, which is 100% mawk. How about just a nice science fiction adventure story without all the sentimental bullshit over the Doctor's relationship with his companion? And without that bloody ethereal music.

Quote: Kenneth @ May 3 2010, 12:50 PM BST

Absolute balderdash. Witnessing Matt Smith doing the "last of my kind" speech and then later hugging the redhead made me cringe in repulsion. And that horrible incidental music, which is 100% mawk. How about just a nice science fiction adventure story without all the sentimental bullshit over the Doctor's relationship with his companion? And without that bloody ethereal music.

Come on, other people's opinions and all that. Personally, I like the fact the characters and relationships are a bit more in depth, I don't think it would have caught on as much these days without it. Don't be scared of emotion! :D

Also, in Ecclestones second episode, he cried. So it's not as though it's something that was added after he left.

At this rate the next Dr will be Jeremy Clarkson. Then you'll be sorry.

Watched the two parter last night.
Very good. yes it had it's flaws but it is Doctor Who after all.
Amy with the Angel on the screen was the most scary bit I've seen since midnight.

It was a crackerjack episode a little over stuffed.

The really good ones like Blink and Dalek are stripped right down to the story. This was good but they were lucky to get away with that humungous diversion into time explosions. It's the kinda thing you could get away more with older style multi episode Who.