British Comedy Guide

Outnumbered - Series 1 Page 13

It's great when writers pick up on something so commonplace and ordinary - but you know exactly what they mean. I loved all the negotiations with the children - and the logic of their arguments. If Father Christmas can come down the chimney why can't a burglar...

We've had lots of questions in our inbox this morning, way more than normal, about whether there is going to be a DVD so the demand is definitely there - hopefully someone will have the sense to release it soon and commission another series!

Refer them to me! :D

This thread is the most information I can find on this show on the web.

There seems to be nothing on the BBC and just a small WIKI page.

I understand that the story makes the program suited to be shown on consecutive nights, but does anyone know why this show has had such minimal publicity and been given such an average slot.

It just seems such a good show to be buried, or is that just me?

Welcome mediaboi, I'd rather it find its on way rather then through tons of publicity, if it really is good then it will grow. Although like so many other good shows, that probably won't happen.

Quote: mediaboi @ September 6, 2007, 1:46 PM

This thread is the most information I can find on this show on the web.

Hi. Welcome to the site. Thanks for logging on.

Have you seen our article here? - bit more info about Outnumbered in that.

Quote: mediaboi @ September 6, 2007, 1:46 PM

I understand that the story makes the program suited to be shown on consecutive nights, but does anyone know why this show has had such minimal publicity and been given such an average slot.

I think the slot is alright (on the cusp of prime-time) but I know what you're saying. A lot of people have suggested the BBC were trying to bury it.

To be fair to them they did give it some publicity (a few trailers, newspaper interviews with Hugh etc) however I think they've learnt from C4's mistakes, sometimes hyping something up can actually damage rather than help it (e.g. see IT Crowd series 1).

There's now quite a bit of buzz around this programme and it did get some pretty good ratings across the weeks so overall it was actually quite a success. Fingers crossed they'll give it a second series and DVD release so even more people can appreciate it.

Having just read the thread I'll now echo the sentiments of those that stuck with this until the end: it was wonderful. So often I find myself sitting in front of the latest BBC1 pre-watershed family sitcom, shaking my head, wondering if this is all there is - if this is really the best we can currently do with one of sitcom's greatest formats.

And then Outnumbered cropped up, unannounced, and in a slot that couldn't be more apt: 10:35 on a weekday. No grand introduction or pretense of a prime-time billing - the kind of comedy you need to want to watch, to watch.

And on doing so, almost immediately, the handheld camera, absence of a laughter track and grounded, natural dialogue convinced me that there was no formula in play here, no desperation for jokey dialogue, which is so often the downfall of its ailing peers. It is a family sitcom based on a simple principle. That real family life is funny.

No less innovative than the above premise was the choice to ascribe centre stage and freedom to improvise to the youngest children, whose imagination, when met with the logic of the awkward, often despairing parents, became fodder for some of the sitcom's best scenes.

Well said Mav. And welcome to the board! :)

Thank-you - said a bit more in the end, accidentally hit post reply too early ;)

Welcome Mav, good post.

Quote: Mav42 @ September 13, 2007, 4:36 PM

Having just read the thread I'll now echo the sentiments of those that stuck with this until the end: it was wonderful.

Good news: the BBC have re-commissioned Outnumbered so we will be getting another series next year.

Let's hope they've 'axed' those AWFUL kids... :)

Quote: Frankie Rage @ October 25, 2007, 5:00 PM

Let's hope they've 'axed' those AWFUL kids... :)

*tuts* You can't axe the little girl.

Quote: Mark @ October 25, 2007, 4:19 PM

Good news: the BBC have re-commissioned Outnumbered so we will be getting another series next year.

Yayyyyyyyyyy!

Quote: hotzappa11 @ October 25, 2007, 5:09 PM

*tuts* You can't axe the little girl.

sack! fire! I'm not picky..