British Comedy Guide

General, General Thread Page 2,160

Kiss mah grits.

(I'm sure I've heard people say that...)

Quote: zooo @ April 27 2010, 4:32 PM BST

Kiss mah grits.

It's probably were the expression getting your oats comes from.

Quote: Marc P @ April 27 2010, 4:30 PM BST

The first time I had meatloaf in a blueish collar bar/diner in PA I didn't much care for it. I was really looking forward to it too. I probably put ketchup on it.

Many (most?) people squeeze a bit of ketchup on top of the meatloaf before cooking it, so I guess it's OK to put it on after it's cooked, too. That's what I do if there's no gravy. But how can anyone serve meatloaf without mashed potatoes and gravy?

Quote: zooo @ April 27 2010, 4:32 PM BST

Kiss mah grits.

It was a catchphrase used by Flo on the sitcom "Alice" which aired here in the 70s and 80s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_%28TV_series%29

Quote: DaButt @ April 27 2010, 4:17 PM BST

Ketchup on grits? Never heard of such a thing. Butter or maple syrup, maybe, but never ketchup.

I think I know some ketchup fanatics who would. Grits taste like cardboard to me, unless they're well seasoned. I sometimes think that no one really likes grits, they just eat them to keep a Southern tradition alive. Blasphemy, I know.

Quote: funsponge @ April 27 2010, 5:39 PM BST

I think I know some ketchup fanatics who would. Grits taste like cardboard to me, unless they're well seasoned. I sometimes think that no one really likes grits, they just eat them to keep a Southern tradition alive. Blasphemy, I know.

I truly like them and will go out of my way to order them if the restaurant looks like they "know" grits.

Grits and polenta are just about the same thing and are mostly tasteless until seasoned. I've had some killer cheese grits in various southern restaurants.

Yeah, cheese grits are good. Most things are good with cheese though.
If I do get them, its usually from somewhere greasy with questionable food standards. That way I know they'll be done right.

What the f**k are grits?

I thought this was something to do with Derek and Clive - i.e. "Shit a grit!"

And why does my laptop keep making me sign-in and lose all those green arrows?

Quote: Chappers @ April 27 2010, 6:10 PM BST

What the f**k are grits?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

That looks like porridge.

Yeah its kind of similar... more grainy, and corn based rather than oats. And usually you add things to make it more salty, instead of sweet. Nothing exciting, except that it can blow up ants apparently.

Quote: DaButt @ April 27 2010, 4:08 PM BST

All the products here are labeled "ketchup." Google says "You can blame (Irishman) Jonathan Swift" for the "catsup" spelling.

The Irish can be blamed for a lot. None of it good.

Quote: Aaron @ April 27 2010, 10:10 PM BST

The Irish can be blamed for a lot. None of it good.

With one notable exception:

Quote: funsponge @ April 27 2010, 6:01 PM BST

Yeah, cheese grits are good. Most things are good with cheese though.

Cock?

Quote: Chappers @ April 27 2010, 6:10 PM BST

And why does my laptop keep making me sign-in and lose all those green arrows?

Any chance you're forgetting to tick the box to keep you signed in? If not, might be worth cleaning cookies etc, temporary internet files, and giving the machine a bit of a clean.

Quote: DaButt @ April 27 2010, 10:23 PM BST

With one notable exception:

Foul stuff.

If they've been making it since 1759, it's about time they got it approximately right !