British Comedy Guide

Doctor Who... Page 449

Quote: zooo @ April 27 2010, 4:43 PM BST

I think Matt Smith and Amy were doing massive intimate long hugs in the first fecking episode. No gradual companionship happening, and it therefore doesn't mean anything.

They've got to be BFF very quickly.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 27 2010, 4:48 PM BST

12 regenerations would mean two more Doctors; and they'll get around that anyway.

In fact, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Moffat was going to addres the issue at some point in this very series.

Quote: zooo @ April 27 2010, 4:43 PM BST

I think Matt Smith and Amy were doing massive intimate long hugs in the first fecking episode. No gradual companionship happening, and it therefore doesn't mean anything.

You're never going to quite bring yourself to love post-Tennant Who, are you Zooo! :D

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 27 2010, 4:45 PM BST

Well, in a way, she's kind of known him most of her life.

Yeah I know. And that was a really excellent idea for her character.

But they still only met that once. I don't think it's authentic/right at all that you'd feel comfortable flinging your arms around someone after spending so little time with them. Has she no concept of personal space?! :)

It's not as satisfying for the viewer (this viewer at least) when there's no visible gradual growing closer.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 27 2010, 4:53 PM BST

You're never going to quite bring yourself to love post-Tennant Who, are you Zooo! :D

Ha! No it's not that. I'm open to loving it (not THAT way, though, correct.)

Quote: zooo @ April 27 2010, 4:58 PM BST

But they still only met that once.

Well, it was the third time they met when she went away with him. (Remember, he disappeared for two years again)

It's not as satisfying for the viewer (this viewer at least) when there's no visible gradual growing closer.

Yeah, I can see that.

Oh I can't remember. :)
But the first episode was their first day spent together, no? The other meeting was a bit momentary.

It's like... the actors in real life are apparently very close now (wit woo) but I doubt on their third meeting she was hugging him like that. It just doesn't happen.

I want them to grow closer from having all these experiences together, not on their first full day spent together. Now there's nowhere for their relationship to go.

Quote: zooo @ April 27 2010, 5:03 PM BST

I want them to grow closer from having all these experiences together, not on their first full day spent together. Now there's nowhere for their relationship to go.

Agreed! But some of it I can attribute to Amy's personality. She seems the huggy, clingy type.

Quote: funsponge @ April 27 2010, 5:06 PM BST

Agreed! But some of it I can attribute to Amy's personality. She seems the huggy, clingy type.

Yes, you could argue that, especially as he's seemingly abandoned her twice, which led to her going into therapy and biting them!

Quote: Chappers @ April 27 2010, 4:38 PM BST

I'm still waiting for a young one (!) or a woman.

It would be funny to have him regenerate into a toddleer, he'd no doubt beat the Daleks by sticking his dumby in there eye.

I can't remember the specific Doctor/Pond hug you're on about, but it more likely stems from the fact that she's relieved that she's not completely mad, having imagined the whole thing. Maybe...

Quote: funsponge @ April 27 2010, 5:06 PM BST

Yeah I suppose she might be.

I do like that there haven't been any scenes with her family since the little bit at the beginning with her boyfriend. I don't even want to know what her mum, dad, and cousin Morag look like.

Quote: Nil Putters @ April 27 2010, 5:08 PM BST

I can't remember the specific Doctor/Pond hug you're on about,

At the end of the second ep she hugged him.

Quote: zooo @ April 27 2010, 5:10 PM BST

I do like that there haven't been any scenes with her family since the little bit at the beginning with her boyfriend.

(That boyf will appear again though)

But they still only met that once. I don't think it's authentic/right at all that you'd feel comfortable flinging your arms around someone after spending so little time with them. Has she no concept of personal space?! :)

A more interesting dynamic would have been set up if she had been bitter and resentful about being kept waiting all those years and treated like a nutter.

Yes, maybe that will come out in the future?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 27 2010, 5:11 PM BST

(That boyf will appear again though)

Oh bums.
Well hopefully Moffat will make it good.

Quote: Timbo @ April 27 2010, 6:46 PM BST

A more interesting dynamic would have been set up if she had been bitter and resentful about being kept waiting all those years and treated like a nutter.

And she's Scottish. So bitter and resentful comes easy.

I read there were 6,000 complaints about the thingy.
Is that a record?

Quote: zooo @ April 27 2010, 7:01 PM BST

I read there were 6,000 complaints about the thingy.
Is that a record?

No.