British Comedy Guide

The all-in-one Consolidated Grammar Thread Page 2

Quote: EllieJP @ April 26 2010, 1:44 PM BST

I hate Chip too.

:O

I liked it better when you went AWOL!

I was on some university sites yesterday and an upsetting amount were misusing the apostrophe like so: PhD's.
:(

Quote: zooo @ April 26 2010, 1:49 PM BST

I was on some university sites yesterday and an upsetting amount were misusing the apostrophe like so: PhD's.
:(

Who makes the rules? Ultimately? Who decided that this is how we should use apostrophes and this is how we should use semi-colons?

Quote: chipolata @ April 26 2010, 1:51 PM BST

Who makes the rules? Ultimately? Who decided that this is how we should use apostrophes and this is how we should use semi-colons?

Quelch.

Quote: Marc P @ April 26 2010, 1:52 PM BST

Quelch.

I only asked!

:)

Quote: chipolata @ April 26 2010, 1:51 PM BST

Aaron?

Quote: chipolata @ April 26 2010, 1:45 PM BST

:O

I liked it better when you went AWOL!

:D

What's with British people using the spelling 'mom' instead of 'mum' now? It's not like they pronounce it 'mom' as Americans do either. Or do they?

Not on my watch!

I think some Irish people say and spell it mom. I'm not sure.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ April 26 2010, 2:14 PM BST

What's with British people using the spelling 'mom' instead of 'mum' now? It's not like they pronounce it 'mom' as Americans do either. Or do they?

I use both "mom" and "mum". Although interestingly, not to my mom/mum.

Quote: zooo @ April 26 2010, 2:16 PM BST

I think some Irish people say and spell it mom. I'm not sure.

Ma and Da for the Irish

Some things I notice most are:

People using "of" instead of "have" as in "you should of asked if you wanted to borrow it"
Saying "alot" or "abit" instead of "a lot" or "a bit"
People using "less" instead of "fewer"
People not using "whom" correctly
People who use "et" instead of "ate"
People who refer to themselves as "one" as in "one is very tired, so I'm going to bed"

Still, I can't really comment, I know grammar but my spelling is pretty bad. Although I did hear a story once that the girls at a local school were once made to have extra lessons because so many of them wrote "Girls Grammer School" on their GCSE exam papers.

I'm sure I've heard Graham Norton say 'mom' quite often.