British Comedy Guide

The all-in-one Consolidated Grammar Thread

I hate to question Aaron's grasp on the English language, but I don't think that 'consolidatory' is a word (The 'All-in-one Consolidatory Football thread').

I think the correct usage should be, as in the snooker thread started by GT, the past participle 'consolidated.' But as Aaron seems to be in charge around here, I won't quibble.

The other thing that bothers me is the ending of a sentence with a preposition. 'Questions you need answers to' is one thread that bothers me (I force myself to read it 'Questions to which you need answers' to keep from having to flick the light switch on and off seven and a half times).

Any grammatical pet peeves?

"This is the sort of English up with which I will not put."

Attributed to Winston Churchill ...

There are many variations.

Quote: deckard @ April 26 2010, 12:16 AM BST

I hate to question Aaron's grasp on the English language, but I don't think that 'consolidatory' is a word (The 'All-in-one Consolidatory Football thread').

I think the correct usage should be, as in the snooker thread started by GT, the past participle 'consolidated.' But as Aaron seems to be in charge around here, I won't quibble.

The other thing that bothers me is the ending of a sentence with a preposition. 'Questions you need answers to' is one thread that bothers me (I force myself to read it 'Questions to which you need answers' to keep from having to flick the light switch on and off seven and a half times).

Any grammatical pet peeves?

You are of course right, Rick, that I am right.

I have many peeves but two favourites are the tautology 'new innovation' and mispronunciation of deteriorated as dee-tear-ree-ate-ed instead of dee-tear-ree-OR-ate-ed which I've even heard from a newsreader.

I also hate Americanisms and have commented on it on here where some of the younger posters often say 'Ew'. The English expression is 'Urgh' and fifteen years ago you wouldn't have heard 'Ew' from anyone except an American - this is purely the influence of imported TV shows.

I do that. I can only apologise. :$

The other thing that bothers me is the ending of a sentence with a preposition. 'Questions you need answers to' is one thread that bothers me (I force myself to read it 'Questions to which you need answers'

Ha!
I almost changed it to that. But I'd already edited it from 'too' to 'to', and to be frank, I couldn't be bothered to go back and mess about with it again. :)

Quote: zooo @ April 26 2010, 2:22 AM BST

I do that. I can only apologise. :$

I know you do it! But at least you're sorry.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 26 2010, 1:57 AM BST

I have many peeves but two favourites are the tautology 'new innovation' and mispronunciation of deteriorated as dee-tear-ree-ate-ed instead of dee-tear-ree-OR-ate-ed which I've even heard from a newsreader.

I also hate Americanisms and have commented on it on here where some of the younger posters often say 'Ew'. The English expression is 'Urgh' and fifteen years ago you wouldn't have heard 'Ew' from anyone except an American - this is purely the influence of imported TV shows.

A few minutes ago, the announcer on Comedy Central warned viewers that a show that was about to start contained "cuss words"!

It's, erm, to do something in a manner which results in consolidation. Or something. Yeah.

I do see the poster's point, however seeing that he's an American, I think it's very rich of him - how many language crimes have the Americans committed sir? Ask yourself this. Are you wearing nice comfy sox this morning?

ending of a sentence with a preposition.

It's OK to do this. There is only one rule in language, and that is that the message be communicated as effectively as possible. 'Questions to which you need answers' is no more clear than 'Questions you need answers to', and to my ears, the latter sounds more elegant.

Anything else is a matter of style.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ April 26 2010, 1:57 AM BST

So many words that we have in English come from other languages, though! Like 'pyjamas'. Americanisms are just words too, and I'm sure people other than the 'younger posters' use them too!

Anyway, I hate the general there/their/they're and your/you're mix ups in particular.

I can't abide people saying "I could give a shit", when they obviously mean "I couldn't give a shit". Similarly I can't be doing with people who misuse the word "literally", as in "I literally died when I saw it!"

Quote: David Bussell @ April 26 2010, 10:21 AM BST

Similarly I can't be doing with people who misuse the word "literally", as in "I literally died when I saw it!"

I literally do that all the time.

Went past the fair on the park this morning... the sign said. "Your on camera".... Grrrrrr

I saw a sign at the hospital that said 'Guard Dogs Operate Here' - didn't fill me with confidence.

I hate the "Fish and Chip's" signs too.