British Comedy Guide

Sitcom (Com)Mission Page 75

Quote: Ponderer @ April 21 2010, 12:41 PM BST

I think this thread shows that people love to pick holes in what someone else has done either through intellectual curiousity, irritation at a lack of success or just boredom.

It's outrageous. People will be criticising the government next!
Angry

I think this thread shows that people love to pick holes in what someone else has done either through intellectual curiousity, irritation at a lack of success or just boredom.

Or, the person posting could still be heavily involved in the event - and doesn't want amendments to the voting structure made halfway through the competition - because it isn't fair.

Or didn't you think of that?

Quote: don rushmore @ April 21 2010, 3:04 PM BST

Or, the person posting could still be heavily involved in the event - and doesn't want amendments to the voting structure made halfway through the competition - because it isn't fair.

I'd agree that changing the system now wouldn't be right.

Quote: bushbaby @ April 21 2010, 3:24 PM BST

I'd agree that changing the system now wouldn't be right.

I don't think anyone has suggested that. Just some dialogue about how things could possibly be improved in the future - as requested by Simon and Declan.

Quote: Marc P @ April 21 2010, 3:31 PM BST

I don't think anyone has suggested that. Just some dialogue about how things could possibly be improved in the future - as requested by Simon and Declan.

I know, I was replying to Don :D

'Shambolic'?

Since Declan and I started producing live sitcom our work has been seen by the heads of comedy from BBC Television, BBC Radio, Channel 4 and ITV as well as people from Tiger Aspect, Baby Cow, Talkback, Hat Trick, Endemol, Avalon, Big Bear Films, Roughcut, So TV, The Comedy Unit, The Telegraph, The Independent, Time Out etc, etc

Just imagine what we'll achieve if we ever get our act together...

Simon
for The Sitcom Mission

###Just imagine what we'll achieve if we ever get our act together...####

Now that is really slick dialogue Laughing out loud

Quote: Marc P @ April 21 2010, 1:51 PM BST

It's outrageous. People will be criticising the government next!
Angry

I didn't say it wasn't good or fun. :D :D :D

Quote: Ponderer @ April 21 2010, 3:59 PM BST

I didn't say it wasn't good or fun. :D :D :D

Good man! :D

Quote: don rushmore @ April 21 2010, 3:04 PM BST

I don't see how that follows Don. I understood (or possibly misunderstood) that you were taking the controversy/discussion over organization to be an indication of the 'shambolic' running of the event. I was simply pointing out that I didn't think that the degree of shambolicity is relevant. I think this would happen anyway.

I am involved, and would not like to see a change on the basis of consistency so I guess it probably did occur to me, but I'm not sure that is relevant to the above.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

The voting system will rage and rage until we're all blue in the faeces, but I think it's a bit of a bagatelle. I think we can all agree that there is no real, watertight solution and that whatever we choose will be problematic. We'll stay as we are and rethink things after June 7th.

In the meantime, we're concentrating on producing the best show so far for this coming Monday, which has already sold over 50% of capacity. We think that producing quality entertainment and a brilliant night of theatre is the best way to keep everyone happy.

And just had confirmation that Cheryl Taylor, Comedy Commissioner for BBC TV, will be one of our judges at the Grand Final on June 7th. Just need ITV for a full pack.

And nobody has paid to enter this sitcom competition. Other sitcom competitions are available.

Cheers, Declan

Quote: Ponderer @ April 21 2010, 4:04 PM BST

I don't see how that follows Don. I understood (or possibly misunderstood) that you were taking the controversy/discussion over organization to be an indication of the 'shambolic' running of the event. I was simply pointing out that I didn't think that the degree of shambolicity is relevant. I think this would happen anyway.

I suppose I'm just viewing the whole thing from a business perspective, not a creative one. The voting structure should be crystal clear. All involved (including the audience) should understand exactly how the system works. Clearly that isn't the case; the last few pages of this thread prove that.

I also got the impression that S and D were/are giving serious thought to a rule change - halfway through the event. In a competitive arena such as this, that isn't really a moral thing to do - whatever spin they put on it.

To me, all of the above = shambolic.

But let's see how things pan out...

Don, sorry, we didn't reject your script did we?

I admit we got a little off target. Well, we're back on now.

If you want to enter next season's competition, we'll be putting a call out for scripts in July.

Quote: Declan @ April 21 2010, 5:26 PM BST

Don, sorry, we didn't reject your script did we?

No. I already work in the industry.

Fantastic, you've answered my prayers.

I'm short of a judge for this coming Monday. 4.45pm for a 5pm start at the New Diorama Theatre. It'll be great to meet you and we can chat some more.

Can you PM me to confirm the details?

Cheers, Declan