British Comedy Guide

Another BBC opp Page 3

I was reading the Sunday Times at the weekend and it turns out Tidy Productions is Ruth Jones prodco. I never knew that!

Dan

Tidy.

Just got an email to say the writersroom brief has been updated. They want you to send no more than ten topical gags from Saturday to the 18th, 9am.

According to the automated response, those successful will be contacted by Thursday 25th March.

Sample of gags sent.

How many people submit to opportunities like this? Twenty writers? Fifty?Hundreds? Thousands?

A gazillion.

Quote: freddie gagtella @ March 15 2010, 5:22 PM GMT

How many people submit to opportunities like this? Twenty writers? Fifty?Hundreds? Thousands?

Enough to be concerned about.

But this contest if for funny Welsh types, so considerately less than usual...

Quote: sootyj @ March 15 2010, 5:54 PM GMT

Enough to be concerned about.

But this contest if for funny Welsh types, so considerately less than usual...

I should be a shoe in then :)
In all seriousness though, It's rather hard to think of topical Welsh stuff, "Oh look we're shit at rugby again, great". And having listened to the show, it just seems like Have I Got News For You light, there's nothing offensive in it at all. Do people think the fact they're looking for writers implies they want a change of style? Because unfortunately a large chunk of what I write when not in a sitcom/ play is insulting celeb bashing.

Its been a while since my last post on here - I think the last time was when series one of NewsJack ended. Anyone had responses from this? I sent in a couple of jokes, but they seemed a bit long and cumbersome. I live in Wales and, whoever said this above is correct, all the news is 'we are shit at rugby' and either rape or murders. Not really anything funny can come out of rape stories (however twisted you are!) Good luck anyone else who sent something in, let us know when you hear something!

Quote: ForzaCarra @ March 17 2010, 5:18 PM GMT

I live in Wales and, whoever said this above is correct, all the news is 'we are shit at rugby'

I spent some of my formative years living in a place called Radyr. To say the newsagents over did it with copies of Rugby World magazine is an understatement.

surely someone could make a joke about Offas dyke?

Offa was King of Mercia from 757 to 796 AD so it could be said that Offas expired?

er, yes I have been drinking, why do you ask?

Quote: freddie gagtella @ March 17 2010, 10:17 PM GMT

surely someone could make a joke about Offas dyke?

Offa was King of Mercia from 757 to 796 AD so it could be said that Offas expired?

Thats better than most of the jokes I sent in! Too clever though.

>How many people submit to opportunities like this? Twenty writers? Fifty?Hundreds? Thousands?

The mass email they sent out with the updated submission guides had a good 250~ addresses I reckon, so it's going to be a 'healthy competition'. (Which I suspect is why they added the trial step in. No idea what numbers they want, but going through 200+ emails of gags every week would be pretty hard. I'm guessing they'll see how many they find funny & appropriate and go from there, but we'll see what happens.)

>It's rather hard to think of topical Welsh stuff... Do people think the fact they're looking for writers implies they want a change of style?

The key is not to think of topical Welsh stuff.. it's to find it ;)
The rugby was a bit dominating (Especially for a sport hater like me) and most of the other big stories were.. 'unsuitable'; but that's what you get with topical shows. Personally I managed (Without deliberately planning mind you) five 'proper welsh' jokes (in the sense they mention welsh news/people) and five UK/international jokes. The key is finding the type of story that makes the BBC website 'most read list'. Stories that may not be 'big news' but people have actually heard (if only vaguely). Also bad jokes on a key subject are often better then great jokes on an irrelevant one.

As for style; I'd say copy theirs (as much as possible) - they provided a sample of the previous series (which would be odd if they wanted it totally different) and they're on BBC Radio Wales, which limits how offensive/insulting/rude they could be even if they wanted to. Feel free to push the boat out in a couple of lines if you wish; but they want funny, broadcastable jokes. If you can imagine the joke on BBC3; you've probably gone too far...

Quote: ForzaCarra @ March 17 2010, 11:33 PM GMT

Thats better than most of the jokes I sent in! Too clever though.

Thanks for the compliment. There's only one problem....A joke about a saxon king who died in the 8th century might not be seen as very topical? I am going to get far more current and do some great gags about Owain Glyndwr, who was alive until 1416....or about quarter past two for those of you who don't go by the 24hr clock.