British Comedy Guide

Sitcom (Com)Mission Page 53

:O

Commiserations to all those who didn't make it through - this time. I did make it through and believe it or not, it was as a direct result of having my script torn apart at one of Simon and Declan's workshops, so for me, it was definitely worth attending.

Good Lord! So many other well known BCG'ers on the list, it's going to be a tough competition this year - but a good one.

For those that weren't selected, at least you can chillax and move onto your next project, whereas I have to write a second episode and plot the murders of at least 16 other writers, some of them friends. So spare a thought, etc.

Congratulations to everyone who has entered, at least you got off your arse and wrote something. Now write some more stuff and make it betterer!

I got mine torn apart but guess I didn't stitch it back firmly enough
Well done Renegade

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 22 2010, 2:52 PM GMT

Commiserations to all those who didn't make it through - this time. I did make it through and believe it or not, it was as a direct result of having my anus apart at one of Simon and Declan's drunken workshops, so for me, it was definitely worth attending.

I'm kinda glad I got dropped now.

how very rude :D :D

That's it. I'm going to go and write the best sitcom ever and give Silan no choice but to pick me next time! :)

Quote: sootyj @ January 22 2010, 3:10 PM GMT

I'm kinda glad I got dropped now.

Ah good old sootyj, even when you try to misquote my post, you still mess it up. ;)

I know that you are secretly pleased for me and wish me the best of luck. Yeah, that's it, probably.

How are you getting on with that Doctor Who synopsis?

Hi guys

We'll be opening up for scripts again in September, after Edinburgh (and we're hoping to have a presence at the Camden Fringe).

This will be an annual contest from now on.

Silan

I wish I had an exciting life :(

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 22 2010, 3:36 PM GMT

Ah good old sootyj, even when you try to misquote my post, you still mess it up. ;)

I know that you are secretly pleased for me and wish me the best of luck. Yeah, that's it, probably.

How are you getting on with that Doctor Who synopsis?

Be serious it's much more fun to view me as burning with jealousy.

As for the synopsis I can't think of anything interesting to do with the drippy 5th Dr other than have Turlough kill him.

Oh and thanks for the headsup will edit my insult.

Quote: Declan @ January 22 2010, 3:57 PM GMT

This will be an annual contest from now on.

Hi. Will the format change next year? Is it going to be stage again is what I mean?

G

I can't see it being anything other than stage. At least until it really takes off!

Dan

Wishful thinking on my part!

i get the impression this comp was all about money. i.e. those that paid for workshops and feedback, got short listed, and not because of "development". I don't like these things where they ask you to pay for stuff, especially when you get rejected having opte for the "non paying" option, and in the rejecion email, it says "why don't you pay to our workshop, to see where you went wrong".

Quote: BJ Penn @ January 22 2010, 7:52 PM GMT

i get the impression this comp was all about money. i.e. those that paid for workshops and feedback, got short listed, and not because of "development". I don't like these things where they ask you to pay for stuff, especially when you get rejected having opte for the "non paying" option, and in the rejecion email, it says "why don't you pay to our workshop, to see where you went wrong".

That's not true Penn, I went to a workshop and they are superb not rip offs at all and at least half of what you would pay elsewhere for such knowledge/advice/fun.
I learned in a day what would have taken me years on my own.
My sitcom was acted out by actors there and got the laughs where I expected, but it had no conflict/problems so I came home and rewrote it.
It must have been in the long/shortlist 60 but just wasn't as good as the 32 chosen.
So to sum up, no not all the people that pay for feedback/workshops are in the 32. The purpose of the workshops is to help the writers, not Simon and Declan :)