British Comedy Guide

Two things happening simultaneously in a script...

How do you write two things happening simultaneously in a TV/sketch script (e.g. someone talking at the same time as the focus being on a piece of paper someone is reading)?

Thanks in advance.

If your writing it in Celtx there's a option called duo-dialogue.

Quote: James Cotter @ January 21 2010, 3:15 PM GMT

If your writing it in Celtx there's a option called duo-dialogue.

I wasn't writing it in there, but I have a copy so will look for it.
Does duo-dialogue in Celtx work for when you want dialogue to happen at the same time as action?

Quote: Marooned @ January 21 2010, 3:19 PM GMT

Does duo-dialogue in Celtx work for when you want dialogue to happen at the same time as action?

Yes it does.

Quote: James Cotter @ January 21 2010, 3:23 PM GMT

Yes it does.

Great, thanks. :)

Quote: Marooned @ January 21 2010, 3:19 PM GMT

I wasn't writing it in there, but I have a copy so will look for it.

If you take a standard format BBC script, for either radio or TV, for example, they will not expect dialogue and direction to be written side by side. You would probably state that someone is speaking out of vision, but we see the piece of paper, or that dialogue continues under or over the top of specific action, depending on its importance to the visuals (obviously one of your events must command attention and should not both be imparting necessary information simultaneously).

In 'production' scripts, dialogue and direction must be written in a linear fashion (bearing in mind they already avoid using the whole length of a page) - apart from the confusion, you wouldn't have enough room!

By the way, the BBC website offers free download to software and guidance on formatting scripts, which is universally recognised formatting (or at least, you won't go wrong using it).

Right, I'm having problems finding out about the proper way to write dual action and dialogue. I have a piece of dialogue happening at the same time as a piece of action, please could someone show the "official" way to write this (in a TV/sketch script)?

Many thanks in advance.

Quote: Marooned @ January 21 2010, 4:39 PM GMT

Right, I'm having problems finding out about the proper way to write dual action and dialogue. I have a piece of dialogue happening at the same time as a piece of action, please could someone show the "official" way to write this (in a TV/sketch script)?

Many thanks in advance.

Did you follow my advice or is this your way of telling me to p*** off?

Quote: Empty @ January 21 2010, 4:43 PM GMT

Did you follow my advice or is this your way of telling me to p*** off?

Sorry, I did have a look but I can only see a mention of dual dialogue and not dual dialogue with action.

Thank you for your help though. :)

Quote: Marooned @ January 21 2010, 4:46 PM GMT

Sorry, I did have a look but I can only see a mention of dual dialogue and not dual dialogue with action.

Thank you for your help though. :)

And you read and understood my explicit statement about keeping dialogue and speech linear on the page?

Quote: Empty @ January 21 2010, 4:48 PM GMT

And you read and understood my explicit statement about keeping dialogue and speech linear on the page?

Not really.

Quote: Marooned @ January 21 2010, 4:50 PM GMT

Not really.

There are ways to do duo-dialogue as I explained earlier but if I was going to send the script out to a producer I wouldn't do it I would keep it linear.

Quote: Marooned @ January 21 2010, 4:39 PM GMT

Right, I'm having problems finding out about the proper way to write dual action and dialogue.

Just put something along the lines of:

ACTION DESCRIPTION.(WHATEVER THAT MAY BE)

CHARACTER:
(OVER ABOVE) Blahy-de-blah.

Anyone in the industry reading your script will know what you mean.

Okay, thanks everyone. We did good work here today, you should all be proud.