British Comedy Guide

Sitcom (Com)Mission Page 48

To me, Penge always sounded like an ailment - "I've got a touch of Penge in my knees this morning..."

Good morning everyone

Just to let you know that Simon and I sat up last night formulating our final 32, which isn't the final 16, or anything. Just the 32 of which we want to see a second episode. You won't catch me ending a sentence, a preposition on.

It doesn't mean that anyone who isn't in the final 32 is crap, just that we don't want to carry on with what they've sent us. And it doesn't mean that if you're in the final 32 you're the next Charles Dickens, it just means that we want to see a second episode. And what the hell do we know, anyway?

We set up this process to try to make it fairer, to make sure we presented what WE consider to be the funniest, most interesting and, very importantly, most marketable entries that we received. Next year we'll just pick 32 out of a hat and be done with it. Actually, that's not a bad idea...

And just wanted to say, that nobody has 'paid' to enter. Entry is totally free. Some people (85 in all) paid to have feedback after the closing date. Really sorry that we've taken our time over this, but you'll definitely get your first piece of feedback by January 31st.

Payment for feedback, either bronze, silver or gold, has had no influence on our choice of the final 32, and there are entries in the final 32 from all sectors - standard, bronze, silver and gold.

We're going to go over the final 32 today to make sure that we haven't made any decisions with bleary eyes and fuzzy heads, and we'll be posting the shortlist on the forum by midnight tonight (and hopefully on the website too).

Cheers, Dec

When I write sitcom, I always try to use Charles Dickens as my role model.

Quote: Declan @ January 21 2010, 10:32 AM GMT

Good morning everyone

Just to let you know that Simon and I sat up last night formulating our final 32, which isn't the final 16, or anything. Just the 32 of which we want to see a second episode. You won't catch me ending a sentence, a preposition on.

It doesn't mean that anyone who isn't in the final 32 is crap, just that we don't want to carry on with what they've sent us. And it doesn't mean that if you're in the final 32 you're the next Charles Dickens, it just means that we want to see a second episode. And what the hell do we know, anyway?

We set up this process to try to make it fairer, to make sure we presented what WE consider to be the funniest, most interesting and, very importantly, most marketable entries that we received. Next year we'll just pick 32 out of a hat and be done with it. Actually, that's not a bad idea...

And just wanted to say, that nobody has 'paid' to enter. Entry is totally free. Some people (85 in all) paid to have feedback after the closing date. Really sorry that we've taken our time over this, but you'll definitely get your first piece of feedback by January 31st.

Payment for feedback, either bronze, silver or gold, has had no influence on our choice of the final 32, and there are entries in the final 32 from all sectors - standard, bronze, silver and gold.

We're going to go over the final 32 today to make sure that we haven't made any decisions with bleary eyes and fuzzy heads, and we'll be posting the shortlist on the forum by midnight tonight (and hopefully on the website too).

Cheers, Dec

Thanks for keeping us up to speed Declan. I'm sure no one intended to imply any influence from the feedback options.

If you do go for option B, I have a hat you can borrow. In fact, if you email me all the scripts I'll do the picking for you and let you know the results.

Pirate

That's the nearest I can find to an 'I have a hat' emoticon.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 21 2010, 11:41 AM GMT

When I write sitcom, I always try to use Charles Dickens as my role model.

Charles Dickens did write a particulary good novel with a twist in it.

Quote: Spotland @ January 21 2010, 4:11 PM GMT

Charles Dickens did write a particulary good novel with a twist in it.

Hard times.

Sorry, I was talking about the wait.

Although, you have to say it seems an unfair way to treat those who paid to enter,

Let's be clear about this; nobody paid to enter. We charged £10 to give written feedback if people specifically requested it. The closing date for bronze (feedback) entries was December 31st and everyone who applied for that will get their first lot of feedback before Jan 31st (ie within a month).

Entry to the competition was free to everybody.

Simon

PS if we were going to charge people to enter we'd charge a bloody sight more than a tenner!

I said that!!!

Right, that's it, the whole thing's off.

Now, now, boys. I know we're all a bit excited but no fisticuffs or tearing up scripts, please. Or Santa will take your pcs away! Console

*cheesy advertising music plays*

Keep checking for the results of the Sitcom Mission only to be disappointed that they're not here yet? Then take a trip to

http://www.randomlinkage.com

for time-killing, mirth-causing, despair-inducing nonsense produced by two bumblingly inept wordsmiths. Go on, try it... it's free!

*chintzy advertising music fades*

Will the results be here on the forum? Or on the blog? Or is it whoever finds it hidden on the internet first, wins? ;)

Quote: SeasonTicketless @ January 21 2010, 9:38 PM GMT

Will the results be here on the forum? Or on the blog? Or is it whoever finds it hidden on the internet first, wins? ;)

Apparently published on the website and the forum, one presumes almost simultaneously. But at midnight!

Quote: Declan @ January 21 2010, 10:32 AM GMT

Cheers, Dec

Looks like it'll be on both, though I do like the idea of searching the entire of the world wide interweb superhighway to find them. I like a challenge.

Hello guys

Well, it's that time.

We really appreciate the huge amount of work that everyone's put in and we're flattered that you've all taken the time and effort to send us your scripts.

It's taken us three weeks to get through all the entries. We wanted to be sure that everyone got a fair hearing, and we read each and every one that came in.

Comedy is an incredibly subjective thing and we're not claiming we know anything better than anyone else. These were what we thought were the most funny, interesting and marketable.

In alphabetical order, we'd like to see a second episode of:

ARTHOUSE by Graeme Knowles
ALLAH IN THE FAMILY by Mohammed al-Sharif
BIG BOAT by Carol Younghusband
BIG NEWS by Peter Fletcher & Alexander Pearson
CARISBROOKE CLOSE by Bex Harvey
DEADLY DANGER by Mike Hayley
CERN AND CERN'S ABILITYby Gilead Amit
CUSTODY by Paul Stokes
ENDURING FREEDOM by D. Carrington & S. Nastase
EVERYTHING'S A POUND by Ish Veli
EVERYONE'S A WINNER by James O'Shea
GLADIATOR NEWS by Steve Keyworth
GUTTED by Catriona Grozier
LAB CONDITIONS by Ian Clarke
LOOKING AT THE STARS by Jane Perrin & Mike Smith
NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED by Stuart Rivers
OUTGOINGS by Dan Sweryt
PINTS by Lee Pedzisz
PLEASE, PLEASE LET ME GET WHAT I WANT by Marianne Powell
SARANTASIA by Lucy Dwyer
SHOULD KNOW BETTER by Natalie Johnson
SMALL COMFORTS by Marc Peirson
SONS OF DIAMOND by Chris Wallace & Phil Hodgson
STAND AND DELIVER by Daniel Joseph Flinter
THEATRICS by Emma Greaney
THUNDERER by Bryn Mills
THE BOX by Russell Obeney
THE END OF FUN by Adam Greenwood
THE HIGH LIFE by John Stylianou
THE HONEYS by Jules Bower
THE MOO CREW by Joel Slack-Smith
THE SELECTED FEW by Harinder Dhillon

We've now made 32 friends and 468 enemies.

Hope to see you in the live shows in April and May.

Cheers, Declan and Simon

F**k.