British Comedy Guide

General, General Thread Page 2,128

Quote: Paul W @ January 10 2010, 5:10 PM GMT

*Puts head in hands* F**king hell.

It's what you call the easy life. Money from the social and a live in baby sitter. That's when mum's not out on the razz that is :)

Quote: roscoff @ January 10 2010, 5:15 PM GMT

It's what you call the easy life. Money from the social and a live in baby sitter. That's when mum's not out on the razz that is :)

I have some "friends" in that situation and they have a nicer car, TV and generally more money than me, I'm half tempted to get my missus up the duff myself and live the good life...

Note they claim child benefits and "disabled benefits".

Oh another story I heard, my friends friend gets £120 a week disability because he has flat feet. I thought he was joking...

There's nothing wrong with motherhood as a 'career' per se. It's a bloody hard job if you do it properly and at least try to be a 'good enough' parent. What's the difference between a 16 year old raising her own child at home and being paid a minimum wage to look after other people's children in a nursery?

I certainly don't want to see a return to days when young unmarried mothers were forced to hand over their babies.

On the other hand there is something wrong when people sensibly plan out their lives and careers and seem to be financially worse off than other people who have been careless and reckless. But at the end of the day who really has the worst and best deal?

Quote: Paul W @ January 10 2010, 5:20 PM GMT

Oh another story I heard, my friends friend gets £120 a week disability because he has flat feet. I thought he was joking...

There has to be more to it than that. Flat feet doesn't prevent someone from working.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ January 10 2010, 5:50 PM GMT

There's nothing wrong with motherhood as a 'career' per se. It's a bloody hard job if you do it properly and at least try to be a 'good enough' parent. What's the difference between a 16 year old raising her own child at home and being paid a minimum wage to look after other people's children in a nursery?

I certainly don;t want to seea return to days when young unmarried mothers were forced to hand over their babies.

On the other hand there is something wrong when people sensibly plan out their lives and careers and seem to be financially worse off than other people who have been careless and reckless. But at the end of the day who really has the worst and best deal?

There has to be more to it than that. Flat feet doesn't prevent someone from working.

Dolly I'm not and I don't think anyone is bad mouthing people starting a family it's people starting them for the wrong reasons that having a problem with taking as much money out of the situation as possible.

And from what I hear he just has flat feet that's it apparently.

Does he have three?

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ January 10 2010, 5:50 PM GMT

Maybe they're flat and only two millimetres thick?

I'm not against anyone starting families, I just think vast swathes of modern Britain should be sterilised. And maybe herded into big gas chambers in Salford.

Quote: chipolata @ January 10 2010, 6:08 PM GMT

I'm not against anyone starting families, I just think vast swathes of modern Britain should be sterilised. And maybe herded into big gas chambers in Salford.

What he said... Whistling nnocently

Quote: DaButt @ January 8 2010, 11:24 PM GMT

Has the "It's cool to have a bunch of babies by different women" frame of mind made its way across the Atlantic?

Let's see. 1948, what happened?

Oh yes ! The opening of the London Olympics !

Burmese independence.

Ghandi assassinated

Can't think of anything else tho'.

;)

Quote: Oldrocker @ January 11 2010, 1:00 AM GMT

Let's see. 1948, what happened?

Oh yes ! The opening of the London Olympics !

Burmese independence.

Ghandi assassinated

Can't think of anything else tho'.

;)

NHS service began
Berlin Airlift
State of Israel declared
Korea divided
India becomes a republic
China becomes Communist

Quote: zooo @ January 8 2010, 11:18 PM GMT

Not wanting to be... reactionary(?), but are there many teen pregnancies in the upper or middle classes? I don't think there are many. It's poor, uneducated kids that seem to get into that kind of situation.
(I am of course generalising and have done no scientific studies into the subject! But it certainly feels true.)
;)

There are many cases of middle class girls and unwanted pregnancies - usually they end in termination so you obviously don't see it. Tamara Beckworth had a daughter at 16.

Quote: DaButt @ January 8 2010, 11:24 PM GMT

Has the "It's cool to have a bunch of babies by different women" frame of mind made its way across the Atlantic?

We started it! (well royalty did).

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ January 11 2010, 9:32 AM GMT

We started it! (well royalty did).

But Royalty only breed in the same bloodline. That's why the all have big ears, and play the banjo.

Good morning Gavin.

Quote: Gavin @ January 11 2010, 9:40 AM GMT

But Royalty only breed in the same bloodline.

Not to have all the illegitimate offspring.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ January 11 2010, 9:48 AM GMT

Good morning Gavin.

Morning Dolly. Hows it going? Snowing your way?

Quote: Gavin @ January 11 2010, 9:50 AM GMT

Morning Dolly. Hows it going? Snowing your way?

It was snowing when I walking home last night, but just slippery icey pavements this morning. Angry

Are you snowed in?