British Comedy Guide

Sitcom (Com)Mission Page 40

Raked seating! Hurray!!!

27' stage! (Wait, that is in non-Spinal Tap measurements?) Double hurray!!!

Green room, dressing room, garden, cafe and pub all under one roof Toys R Us! Triple hurray!!!

Not reading the bit about don't send Episode 1? *cough* Whistling nnocently

'What's a Diorama?' - Ralph Wiggum

Can I just say, if you wanted to send us episode 1, it's up to you. If it's brilliantly funny, then fantastic.

We won't be presenting it, so if you do get chosen to be in the 32, you've got two weeks to write two episodes, not one.

So which was the more intelligent course of action...?

Quote: Declan @ January 7 2010, 2:25 PM GMT

Can I just say, if you wanted to send us episode 1, it's up to you. If it's brilliantly funny, then fantastic.

You wanted them to be funny as well? I wish you'd said.

Quote: Declan @ January 7 2010, 2:25 PM GMT

If it's brilliantly funny, then fantastic.

Phew! Well that's me safe then. >_<

Two weeks to write Episode 2? Not a problem, look at the quality comedy I chuck on here all the time and that's instantaneous and off the cuff... Errr

Hmm. I fear that, where I put in a couple of expositional lines to explain why my sitcom is called what it is, (for the benefit of any members of the audience who aren't familiar with the term I used as the title) it may be contrewed as a first episode. Ooer.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ January 7 2010, 3:31 PM GMT

Hmm. I fear that, where I put in a couple of expositional lines to explain why my sitcom is called what it is, (for the benefit of any members of the audience who aren't familiar with the term I used as the title) it may be contrewed as a first episode. Ooer.

Standard R4 practice is to set the series up every episode for non-regular listeners. That's a basic demand these days, so I presume Dec will accept some expositional stuff.

Absolutely we will accept some expostitional stuff. If you're listening/viewing first time in the middle of a series you need it.

What we don't want is 'first day at the office/workplace' episodes.

And so far, I've read about 35 of them.

They don't want *no* expositional stuff, just well-executed expositional stuff! :)

Dan

Quote: Griff @ January 7 2010, 3:50 PM GMT

Maybe I shouldn't have sent in my script Two And A Half Atoms set at the first second of the Universe.

Been done.

On more important matters... 12 balls to go, one wicket left.

And I LOVE Big Bang Theory.

Sounds like you're chewing through these scripts at a pretty rapid clip, Declan. Is Jan 21 still the ETA on the shortlist?

For the 32 (maximum), it is indeed.

Absolutely we will accept some expostitional stuff. If you're listening/viewing first time in the middle of a series you need it.

What we don't want is 'first day at the office/workplace' episodes.

Ah good. It's only a tiny bit of expo. And not an office or first day in sight. :)

I have a bit of a dilemma, I know it says in the guideline not to send the first episode. Originally I have written 3 full length (30 min) episodes. For the sitcom mission competition I took the best bits from each episode and rewrote a 15 minute episode. Does that still count as the first episode?

(I know it sounds like a daft question) Wave

Quote: NADEEM BAIG @ January 8 2010, 12:06 AM GMT

I have a bit of a dilemma, I know it says in the guideline not to send the first episode. Originally I have written 3 full length (30 min) episodes. For the sitcom mission competition I took the best bits from each episode and rewrote a 15 minute episode. Does that still count as the first episode?

(I know it sounds like a daft question) Wave

I'd have thought that's better - a greatest hits ih effect - and if they like it you've got other bits ready.