British Comedy Guide

Sid(e)show Page 2

Quote: Rough Justice @ January 3 2010, 4:37 AM GMT

My only advice is DON'T listen to criticisms from women about anything related to comedy. It was mainly females that criticised you for putting "swear words" in your script. I thought that the swear words were necessary, not that they added to the comedy, but they made Sid's character more realistic. There is no way a man like that would say "bloody" or "flipping" instead of "f**king". What you have to ask yourself is: how many funny, actually funny, women are there in the comedy world.? The answer is of course zero. Have you ever found a female stand-up in any way funny? neither have I. I am not Sid, I love women, but whenever I see their lame jokes on TV (2 packets of lager, written by a woman. Miranda, written by...a woman (sort of) = I rest my case). Contemporary women are not creative, and have too many boundaries to be actually funny. They can do "silly" but not intelligent or self depricating humour. That is why their critiques will tend to advise you to clean up your language, or give your character a sympathetic side like Grace from Will and f'ing Grace. Again I use the proviso "contemporary" women, there have been creative women in the past, ones that weren't all about make up and heat mag, and didn't just tell jokes about men's fear of "commitment" and "periods".

Erm, yeah. Let's ignore this. As far as I can see all of the comments from the ladies have been spot on.

Now then, I thought it was a very funny read and well written. My main points would be that it could do with more action in there and also that those monologue bits really do stick out. Maybe you could try and work some of them in in a similar way to Scrubs? But instead of cutting away to something, just have Sid's mind wander a bit. Obviously they would need rewriting to fit that style but the kind of jokes in them at the minute I think would really suit that method.

The swearing wasn't too bad and was mostly justified where it was used so you must have done a good job in your edit there, although I think you could probably go without it in a few more lines yet.

One thing that I couldn't help but notice, and this is the best way I can think to word it, was that it felt quite contrived and not very natural. This is probably to do with the lack of action I think, but also as Mr Carpark said, that a lot of the gags are very set-up/punchline-y.

But yeah, definitely something worth working on here.

Oh Rough Justice, you are a one. Let's not have any of this old "women aren't funny" stuff and nonsense here please.

Oh, and the title of Peep Show is two words, not one.

Thanks.

I'll echo some of the earlier comments. There's some funny stuff in there. I rarely chuckle reading sitcom scripts, but I did with this one.

I've read the edited version, but there are still some speeches in there that are way too long.

Have you timed the whole thing by reading it aloud? It's currently over 4,000 words, which seems like way too many for a 15-minute script.

Take Sid's speech about the crazy crisp lady, for example.

SID:

Shame. They're always hassling me for one thing or another. The other day this mental fat bird comes up to me wanting a specific flavour of these posh crisps. There wasn't any on the shelves so she asked me to go into the back and see if any were there. I replied "yes of course madam" cos she looked like the sort who would throw a paddy and bite you or something if you refuse.

LEE:

Now what does that sort look like exactly?

SID:

If you saw this bird you'd know what I mean. Now as I was saying, the stock is all the way in the back, miles away from the crisps aisle. So I went around the corner, chatted to this lad I work with for a bit and then came back about a minute later. I put on my polite face and said "oh I'm sorry madam, I looked in the back and it appears that we are completely out of stock of that particular flavour. We should have some back in stock by Friday, or alternatively we have many other flavours and ranges in stock that might be a suitable replacement." Now she didn't look too happy with this, as if her not getting these f**king charcoal and chive and chicken crisps or whatever it was, was the f**king end of the world. But she seemed to accept it. If they're not in stock there's nothing you can do right? Maybe the fat f**k had realised she had eaten the entire stock already? Who knows? Now, you'd think that would be the end of that right?

LEE:
Well yeah I guess so.

SID:
Well you'd be wrong. Anyway, about 10 or so minutes passed and this mental f**ker bowls up to me bold as brass and waves a packet of the crisps she had wanted so desperately in my face and screams "oh well apparently you were lying mate." She had gone and asked someone else if we had the flavour in stock. You should've seen her face, grinning like a Cheshire cat on f**king ecstasy she was. She was waving the packet right in my face. So I just flipped. I ripped the packet from her hand and flung it as far as I could. It landed about 5 aisles down, square in the face of some little kid. Burst its contents all over him. He started crying. She started screaming. It was a right bloody mess.

I timed this bit at almost two minutes, just reading aloud with no dramatic pauses or emphasis or any "acting". That's 2 out of your 15 minutes lost on some random anecdote that doesn't serve the plot. And I haven't even quoted the whole thing. To be brutally honest, I don't think there are enough laughs in it either.

The other two chunky bits -- Gary Mabbutt and Sid's final threat to Vincent -- at least have the benefit of leading into definite punchlines that would very probably get laughs.

If I were you I'd chop the whole crisp lady bit and write a quick bit with Lee meeting Cat before Vincent shows up. That at least would give Vincent an extra reason to be pissed off. Lee seems a little underused in your final scene.

I found it surprisingly funny. I'm not sure if the other crits had read the version that I saw (you said that you updated it).

The characters did have some depth, in that I got a sense of who they were, and could anticipate their responses, and that's quite difficult to convey in a 15 minute pilot.

My only advice is DON'T listen to criticisms from women about anything related to comedy. It was mainly females that criticised you for putting "swear words" in your script. I thought that the swear words were necessary, not that they added to the comedy, but they made Sid's character more realistic. There is no way a man like that would say "bloody" or "flipping" instead of "f**king". What you have to ask yourself is: how many funny, actually funny, women are there in the comedy world.? The answer is of course zero. Have you ever found a female stand-up in any way funny? neither have I. I am not Sid, I love women, but whenever I see their lame jokes on TV (2 packets of lager, written by a woman. Miranda, written by...a woman (sort of) = I rest my case). Contemporary women are not creative, and have too many boundaries to be actually funny. They can do "silly" but not intelligent or self depricating humour. That is why their critiques will tend to advise you to clean up your language, or give your character a sympathetic side like Grace from Will and f'ing Grace. Again I use the proviso "contemporary" women, there have been creative women in the past, ones that weren't all about make up and heat mag, and didn't just tell jokes about men's fear of "commitment" and "periods".

Apologies, I digress. So to wrap this baby up:

1) I liked the fact that Sid was a solid character;
2) I liked the way that you used the setting, especially for the humiliation of Lidl boy (i got the impression that Sid came of as a bit of a hero there, saving his friend from a possessive ex, who looks like a reflection in a spoon)

and 3) I liked the creative jokes (the lock and key).

The only things that I didn't like (i'm a man of extremes, so I'm gonna say "hated") were the monologues. They work only when used as a narrators voice, but you didn't do that. In your script, the monologues were completely out of place, and the thought of Sid directly addressing the audience was just cringe worthy. This isn't f**king Shakespeare, and Shakespeare used such scenes only to let you know what was on the characters mind, and not as some sort of pantomime (i.e. Buttons (TURNS TO AUDIENCE) "Oh yes he did") or to pointlessly llabour a joke (Sid is direct, he doesn't need to go off screen). Peepshow's Mark is the opposite, and so the internal monologue tels you what he is really thinking (but niether he nor Jez "turn to audience" ooooh).

But in conclusion, better than my entry, which was about how men can't commit to relationships and are afraid of pre menstraul tension. You bastard. Good luck.

Well thank you for your positive comments. As for good British female writers, I would say there is a paucity. The best ones that come to mind immediately are Caroline Ahern (although I was never really taken by the Royle Family), (Jessica Hynes nee Stevenson (co-wrote Spaced, but she's done little since) and Victoria Wood. In the US I like Tina Fey (30 Rock) aand Sarah Silverman (The Sarah Silverman Program). But I digress as well.

Come to think of it, re: the setting I think Renegade Carpark was quite off when he said it "could have been set anywhere." One thing I think I did alright on was using the setting (the constant references to products, the cleaning lady, the crisp lady etc). And those are mostly based on my own experiences, if heightened and caricatured.

As for the monologues I was going for more of a Woody Allen post-modern flourish rather than a Shakespearean soliloquy. I really love Shakespeare, but his comedies are about as funny as cot death, or Woody Allen's output since about 1995.

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ January 3 2010, 5:21 AM GMT

Erm, yeah. Let's ignore this. As far as I can see all of the comments from the ladies have been spot on.

Now then, I thought it was a very funny read and well written. My main points would be that it could do with more action in there and also that those monologue bits really do stick out. Maybe you could try and work some of them in in a similar way to Scrubs? But instead of cutting away to something, just have Sid's mind wander a bit. Obviously they would need rewriting to fit that style but the kind of jokes in them at the minute I think would really suit that method.

The swearing wasn't too bad and was mostly justified where it was used so you must have done a good job in your edit there, although I think you could probably go without it in a few more lines yet.

One thing that I couldn't help but notice, and this is the best way I can think to word it, was that it felt quite contrived and not very natural. This is probably to do with the lack of action I think, but also as Mr Carpark said, that a lot of the gags are very set-up/punchline-y.

But yeah, definitely something worth working on here.

A similar way to Scrubs? I kinda see what you mean, but that wouldn't have been possible given the format we had to fit. It has to be staged, so that's why I simply have him turning to the audience rather than over narration. Plus I really dislike Scrubs so I shan't be borrowing from it...

I will be adapting this script for the screen sometime, and obviously it'll be longer and I'll have more freedom to play with the setting.

Interesting people think the jokes are set up and punch line-y. I didn't go in with the intention of writing it like that, but I certainly see what you mean.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ January 3 2010, 12:40 PM GMT

I'll echo some of the earlier comments. There's some funny stuff in there. I rarely chuckle reading sitcom scripts, but I did with this one.

I've read the edited version, but there are still some speeches in there that are way too long.

Have you timed the whole thing by reading it aloud? It's currently over 4,000 words, which seems like way too many for a 15-minute script.

Take Sid's speech about the crazy crisp lady, for example.

I timed this bit at almost two minutes, just reading aloud with no dramatic pauses or emphasis or any "acting". That's 2 out of your 15 minutes lost on some random anecdote that doesn't serve the plot. And I haven't even quoted the whole thing. To be brutally honest, I don't think there are enough laughs in it either.

The other two chunky bits -- Gary Mabbutt and Sid's final threat to Vincent -- at least have the benefit of leading into definite punchlines that would very probably get laughs.

If I were you I'd chop the whole crisp lady bit and write a quick bit with Lee meeting Cat before Vincent shows up. That at least would give Vincent an extra reason to be pissed off. Lee seems a little underused in your final scene.

Lengthwise you could well be right. I haven't read it out aloud, I know I should of but this script was knocked off in the 2 or 3 days spare I had in the holidays between family, going out and uni work.

The anecdote does serve the final plot in that Sid uses it to vanquish Vincent, pouring the crisps at his feet. Kind of...

But yeah it's far too long. I suppose I was too reticent to edit it out, simply because it happened to me and I found it utterly hilarious at the time. But yeah I will probably have to cut it out. It reads more like stand-up at the moment, rather than a conversation between friends. It is kind of in character however, I see Sid as the kind of bloke that would reel off lengthy anecdotes (probably embellished beyond recognition).

Do people think it's funny at all? The crisp lady anecdote that is? If it fails on that basic level then I will whip it right out.

Lee is underused yeah. His only real use is to be there as Cat's potential suitor (which would obviously annoy Vincent) but that is somewhat underdeveloped for sure. There is the line "wait I thought she was single?/she bloody isn't". I had some more stuff along those lines but cut it out cos I thought it wasn't particularly funny.

My only advice is DON'T listen to criticisms from women about anything related to comedy. It was mainly females that criticised you for putting "swear words" in your script.

Hey Rough Justice...wanna see my big hairy balls? ;) I'd be very careful about labelling the women on this thread as being useless as I know for a fact that some of them have had previous Sitcom Trials success and that they've sold material to the BBC. Perhaps you would care to explain what makes you an expert on women and sitcoms and what kind of success you've had in the world of comedy writing?

The criticism wasn't about putting in swear words, it was about using a select few at appropriate moments, not just a random splattering of Tourettes all over the script.

I've seen several Sitcom Trial entries where they go nuts with the swearing and you know what happens? Everyone laughs at the first couple of rude words, then they get bored and switch off. They'll respond a lot better if you use the swearing at poignant moments, especially if done cleverly and with an original twist.

As for the monologues, there is an old axiom that goes 'show me, don't tell me'. My suggestion to morgills would be to create a reoccuring Customer character who constantly interupts Sid and Cat.

Again, from watching previous entries on stage, whenever a character went into a lengthy speech, the audience would switch off. In a television setting, the monlogues can be punctuated with visual representations, but on stage, it's just a bloke talking for a long time about a packet of crisps.

Feel free to ignore these criticisms and in some ways, I hope you do. Comedy writing is extremely competitive and for the life of me, I don't know why I'm trying to help improve your script. If anything, I should be saying 'Hey, it's fantastic, don't change a thing'.

And Rough Justice loved it, so what other criticisms do you need?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ January 3 2010, 1:54 PM GMT

The criticism wasn't about putting in swear words, it was about using a select few at appropriate moments, not just a random splattering of Tourettes all over the script.

I've seen several Sitcom Trial entries where they go nuts with the swearing and you know what happens? Everyone laughs at the first couple of rude words, then they get bored and switch off. They'll respond a lot better if you use the swearing at poignant moments, especially if done cleverly and with an original twist.

As for the monologues, there is an old axiom that goes 'show me, don't tell me'. My suggestion to morgills would be to create a reoccuring Customer character who constantly interupts Sid and Cat.

Again, from watching previous entries on stage, whenever a character went into a lengthy speech, the audience would switch off. In a television setting, the monlogues can be punctuated with visual representations, but on stage, it's just a bloke talking for a long time about a packet of crisps.

Feel free to ignore these criticisms and in some ways, I hope you do. Comedy writing is extremely competitive and for the life of me, I don't know why I'm trying to help improve your script. If anything, I should be saying 'Hey, it's fantastic, don't change a thing'.

And Rough Justice loved it, so what other criticisms do you need?

There's 20 swear words in it. And it's probably about 20 mins long, which is too long I know. But that's only one per min. Hardly Tourettes now is it?

I don't expect people to laugh at a swear word. They're not jokes. They're just words, used for emphasis or to punctuate the dialogue. I don't think swearing is inherent funny. What it is, is real.

People switch off every time there's a bit of dialogue longer than a couple of sentences? What, do they have the attention span of a gnat? The longest block of dialogue is 10 lines, probably about 20-25 secs worth of time.

Quote: morgills1 @ January 3 2010, 2:09 PM GMT

People switch off every time there's a bit of dialogue longer than a couple of sentences? What, do they have the attention span of a gnat? The longest block of dialogue is 10 lines, probably about 20-25 secs worth of time.

Trust me, unless you have an incredible actor playing Sid, the audience will switch off. If the monologue itself has no real emotional resonance and doesn't advance the plot the in any way, then expect to see people looking at their watches.

In total, I've seen about 16 different Sitcom Trials entries on stage (including my own) and it becomes readily apparent what works and what doesn't. Remember that the audience is sat there watching one sitcom after another, anywhere between 4-6 in a two hour period.

Almost all of the sitcoms will be either flatshare or work based involving a bunch of characters standing around talking. There is not a lot of time to introduce your characters and establish a plot and your entry has to stand out against all the others.

The reason I stated that your sitcom could have been set anywhere, is because the plot wasn't specific to a supermarket. The majority of the conversations between Sid, Cat and Vincent could have taken place anywhere - on a ferry, outside a flat, in the line at Alton Towers, etc.

At the last workshop I attended, another writer had his supermarket based sitcom read out by actors and it had a plot revolving around the day to day problems of a supermarket - customers, staff, management, products, promotions, etc.

Imagine if your supermarket based sitcom went up against another, what unique qualities does your sitcom offer over a similar entry?

Anyways, I'm not going to argue back and forth with you over your sitcom. Again, please feel free to accept or ignore my advice. And I wish you the best of luck with it.

Quote: morgills1 @ January 3 2010, 2:09 PM GMT

How often do you see somebody talking uninterrupted for 25 seconds in a sitcom? Doesn't happen.

And your crisp lady monologues come in at about 40 seconds, read fast.

[quote name="Renegade Carpark" post="569756" date="January 3 2010, 1:54 PM GMT"]I'd be very careful about labelling the women on this thread as being useless as I know for a fact that some of them have had previous Sitcom Trials success and that they've sold material to the BBC.]

I think that proves my point my hairy balled friend. Are you implying that you find the stuff on the bbc funny? Hahaha it is you that is funny my furry testicled comrade. My favourite line was "what about Victoria Wood?". Hahaha you really are a piece of work man! I did watch a Victoria Wood documentary recently, it was the most basic, dull crap that I have ever seen in my life. I would have given you Catherine Tate, because of her likeability, but she is only slightly funny at best.

I seek not to be a bastard to women, but to rid them of their shackles. The next female sensation would have to recognise that contemporary women are not intelligently funny. I would love to be nice about it, but I'm just speaking truth. You feel that is in some way rude? Yeah lets just spare everybodies feelings, because that is what 'critique' is all about. Anyway, screw you guys, I'm off to watch Miranda.

And apologies Morgills, I didn't want to just go off topic so I will say this.You have to be ruthless, so ditch the monologues completely, and if you do decide to have that element, then dedicate some time to rewriting the script so that the narration is an integral part of the show (otherwise it would be randomly out of place, and feel wrong).

I thought that the "crisp" story worked very well, but then again I don't have the attention span of a retarded baboon's arse. You could try to have some action to break it up, like in that BBC classic 'Miranda'. For example, he could fall off a chair, or slip on a banana peel. I would advise working on the next episode, and then the next one. That way, the next competition that you enter, the 'sense of character' would really stand out, and place you in the top 10%. But all the best, I enjoyed it. You did well in such limited confines, and it is funnier than 'Big Top' and 'Miranda'.

Rough Justice, keep it up and you'll be experiencing the rather eponymous sensation as applied by the site administrators.

Quote: Rough Justice @ January 3 2010, 2:52 PM GMT

I think that proves my point my hairy balled friend. Are you implying that you find the stuff on the bbc funny? Hahaha it is you that is funny my furry testicled comrade.

Bloody hell!!!! Nurse, my sides!!!

!!!!!! He's REPEATEDLY DESCRIBING A SCROTUM!!! Quick - someone ring Chris Morris, it's comedy gold!

Shame your skill ran *just* too short to come up with a third way to continue the HILARIOUS hair-testicles-friend theme you set off there, thus missing the chance to exploit the 'rule of three'. Do you want me to help you, pal with piliferous privates?

The next female sensation would have to recognise that contemporary women are not intelligently funny. I would love to be nice about it, but I'm just speaking truth. You feel that is in some way rude?

Not only rude but guilty of insubstantiated stereotyping.

Yeah lets just spare everybody's feelings, because that is what 'critique' is all about. Anyway, screw you guys, I'm off to watch Miranda.

Nope, crit is about critting the piece at hand not disseminating the above stereotyping.

And to everybody else, let's put this discussion back on track.

Original Poster, ignore the comments re: swearing if you wish. Like you, I'd litter my earlier scripts with swearing "for realism" but I always found them harder to sell. Removing them on the advice of other writers got me my first sniffs of acceptance. The shock and the 'comedy' value (as others - esp RC have pointed out) quickly fade. Twenty F words in 20 pages - after you performed an edit specifically to cut them down - still seems rather high, to my mind. I will occasionally use swear words if needed but I make it a personal rule to only include (at most) one 'f' word and that word has to go in at the crucial emotional or comedic climax. Anywhere else, and you're blowing your wad before the bedroom scene.

I think that proves my point my hairy balled friend. Are you implying that you find the stuff on the bbc funny? Hahaha it is you that is funny my furry testicled comrade. My favourite line was "what about Victoria Wood?". Hahaha you really are a piece of work man!

Obviously my gigantic hirsute love spuds have distracted you from reading posts properly - when did I write 'what about Victoria Wood'?

You didn't answer my question about your experiences with women / comedy / writing success. Which I'm gonna guess is none.

But if you want to dismiss the opinions of other writers (male or female) who have had some success, that is entirely up to you. If you want to be rude about it, then here's a 'truth' for you - you're f**ked in this business as no one will hire you because of your shitty attitude.

Hahaha.

Quote: SlagA @ January 3 2010, 3:24 PM GMT

And to everybody else, let's put this discussion back on track.

Come on RC, help make my job a little easier, eh?

Okay people, line drawn. Keep the posts on the original post or pertinent (swearing v non-swearing) discussion. Or else, I'll get all wishy-washy on your asses.