British Comedy Guide

Sitcom (Com)Mission Page 35

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 31 2009, 2:42 PM GMT

I have not entered. Just thought I'd let everyone know.

Well, at least some of us have a shot now. ;)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 31 2009, 2:42 PM GMT

I have not entered. Just thought I'd let everyone know.

You still have time. How about: a market stall holder; dreams of being a millionaire... ok, I'm out of original ideas. Anyone?

Good luck Matthew.

Quote: Badge @ December 31 2009, 2:49 PM GMT

Good luck Matthew.

Thanks, I still feel like I've got a pretty good chance.

Quote: Badge @ December 31 2009, 2:49 PM GMT

Good luck Matthew.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

Quote: bushbaby @ December 31 2009, 2:54 PM GMT

Has anyone any idea when the winners' scripts will be staged? It says spring on Simon/Declan's web site but wondered if that was about March, I want to come up to London and be there but have to get my diary sorted

Quote: bushbaby @ December 31 2009, 3:00 PM GMT

Has anyone any idea when the winners' scripts will be staged? It says spring on Simon/Declan's web site but wondered if that was about March, I want to come up to London and be there but have to get my diary sorted

There's confidence for you. Good luck pup. ;)

Quote: bushbaby @ December 31 2009, 3:00 PM GMT

Am I making this up, but I thought I read April???

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ December 31 2009, 3:01 PM GMT

There's confidence for you. Good luck pup. ;)

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud I didn't mean I'd be included, I want to watch anyway...my daughter lives there and I can stay with her but she works away and I need some approximate date

I didn't think I'd manage it, but I've just finished writing my entry. Quite happy, as it's quite different to the one I had workshopped. Almost, but not quite, a second episode in its own right. Better, I hope.

Must remember to email it before this evening's festivities commence.

I am waiting to do my final edits on my 2 Frankenstein entries.

Crikey I write some awful shite.

Quote: Elise B @ December 31 2009, 2:38 PM GMT

W00t. Got mine in just now (TWSS). Wondering what the average amount of time spent on an entry was? Perhaps be worth people posting them if they get through...

Hi Elise

I don't think anyone's answered this yet so I'll attempt to. V hard to quantify though especially if I include hours of trying to think of something and deciding I'll never come up with anything again. A few more hours wasted on rubbish ideas. Finally I start the one that gets written but in a v unprofessional meandering way - finding out who the characters are as I go.

Being pleased after several hours work over a couple of weeks that I have an actual script written. Then getting feedback where people remind me I'm missing a plot or something. Several more rewrites and submit when it still needs about a years work.

So probably about 25 hours once I've started the main idea, if you include all the tweaking and rewrites. With a co-writer that's shared, some time together but mostly by email.

How about you and the one you got to the finals with of Sitcom Trials?

Jx

I can't recall how long it took me to write the original 15 mins sitcom but after advice at the workshop it took me a further 24 hours...that is, 4 hrs solid one day, ten hours the next and ten hours the next. I then even after that kept rewriting so goodness knows how many hours in all.
The most difficult thing is the storyline

Interesting responses. I guess it usually is a process of refinement that can take time with periods of thinking in between...

Jane- I genuinely wrote Futureproof in 4 hours total from conception to last scene. Then I didn't look at it for 18 months :S And then I submitted it when I heard about Sitcom Trials this year.

The one for Sitcom Mission for this year was conceived yesterday at 5pm, probably spent 6 hours on it total? I think I just get in a rhythm for writing the whole plotline then go back through and add more gags. I also got 2 (generous) friends to read it through and make edits. I wrote 2 more earlier this month but didn't like them so am not submitting them. Everyone works differently: I heard in an interview that Tim Key (Not-the-Perrier Winner this year) throws away 90% of what he writes.

Quote: Elise B @ December 31 2009, 4:28 PM GMT

Interesting responses. I guess it usually is a process of refinement that can take time with periods of thinking in between...

Jane- I genuinely wrote Futureproof in 4 hours total from conception to last scene. Then I didn't look at it for 18 months :S And then I submitted it when I heard about Sitcom Trials this year.

The one for Sitcom Mission for this year was conceived yesterday at 5pm, probably spent 6 hours on it total? I think I just get in a rhythm for writing the whole plotline then go back through and add more gags. I also got 2 (generous) friends to read it through and make edits. I wrote 2 more earlier this month but didn't like them so am not submitting them. Everyone works differently: I heard in an interview that Tim Key (Not-the-Perrier Winner this year) throws away 90% of what he writes.

4/6 hours on a script? Wow. I'm not sure how long I spent on my entry, but I'd guess 20 hours or so.

Just sent mine off.

Not sure how long it took, but the longest bit was character-profiling; probably a good three hours per character and the storylines kind of fell out of that. Then probably four hours to write a decent synopsis which was all logical and fitting together well, then maybe another four hours to write the first draft. Then 1,000,000 hours reading through it over and over and over again, adding semi-colons, removing semi-colons, re-adding semi-colons, changing lower-case letters for upper-case letters, reading, re-reading, tinkering until it was finally completely unfunny. Then I sent it off.

I'm back off hols btw everyone. Hope you had a good Christmas and enjoy the New Year tonight!

Dan