British Comedy Guide

Gavin & Stacey Page 49

Did you think so? I thought it was very comedy-drama tonight. The main funny bits were those with Mathew Baynton (Deano) in. Those were very funny though, granted.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ December 11 2009, 3:41 PM GMT

Did you think so? I thought it was very comedy-drama tonight. The main funny bits were those with Mathew Baynton (Deano) in. Those were very funny though, granted.

Dan

Every moment Bryn was on screen was hilarious, I thought. The sight of him going for it in that little denim jacket. :D

I've still not seen any of this series. Probably wait now and watch them all back to back once on BBC 3 or on DVD.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 11 2009, 3:54 PM GMT

Every moment Bryn was on screen was hilarious, I thought. The sight of him going for it in that little denim jacket. :D

Rob Brydon does the whole "man child" thing to perfection. The character of Bryn is not that many steps removed from Keith in Marion And Geoff.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 11 2009, 4:22 PM GMT

Rob Brydon does the whole "man child" thing to perfection. The character of Bryn is not that many steps removed from Keith in Marion And Geoff.

He's great, he really deserves to have had a big hit sitcom of his own. Instead he got that one set in Australia, which was only ok.

Increasingly I feel uneasy watching this show. it seems to hinge on either the Essex lot going to Wales or the Welsh lot going to Essex, oh and gags about Smithy eating lots and Ness having shagged nearly every bloke in Britain and abroad. I honestly think it's not as funny as many have been conditioned to think it is. Very weak story lines in my humble opinion.

Quote: Aldeem @ December 11 2009, 5:52 PM GMT

I honestly think it's not as funny as many have been conditioned to think it is.

Yep, people who like it have been 'conditioned'. It's not that different people just have different opinions or tastes or anything. Nope.

This show is toilet-rim; the first season was passable, almost refreshing. It Jumped The Shark almost from the get-go of the second season.

Apologies Matthew, wasn't meant as a dig, it's just that Corden and Horne seem to pop up everywhere these days (including in their dreadful sketch show) and be seen as flavour of the year, let alone month. It's OK, but just OK to me. I had my doubts during previous shows where there some forced scenes like Alison Steadman's outburst about Welsh people which was conveniently forgotten as early as the next scene. I wouldn't go as far as saying G&S is toilet rim, but maybe toilet seat heading in a southerly direction.

Gavin & Stacey likes it's set pieces. If you struggle with narrative comedy writing they do help you structure your script. In some ways it reminds me of Four Weddings and a Funeral - another fairly weak vehicle praised to the Horsehead Nebula and beyond.

It's become a little bit more obvious to me why people like it - the setting is very familiar to most people and it's a bit soapy - and people like soaps.

It is still The Emperor's New Clothes in that people are essentially enjoying something other than what's there in front of them.

It probably suffered from all the hype.
It is very watchable though & nicely done.
I'm not a big fan but it's good enough entertainment for me.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ December 12 2009, 12:11 AM GMT

Gavin & Stacey likes it's set pieces. If you struggle with narrative comedy writing they do help you structure your script. In some ways it reminds me of Four Weddings and a Funeral

Or David Nobb's A Bit Of A Do?

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 11 2009, 3:54 PM GMT

Yeah, he was excellent in this one :D And how excited he was to be with all the boys lol. Twas a good ep. Tis a great series, though so far this one hasn't been quite as good as the other two.

Bryn is like my Uncle Steve, so I enjoy watching this very much. I can't wait til I can see this series to see why there is so much debate over it's goodness or badness.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ December 12 2009, 3:38 PM GMT

Bryn is like my Uncle Steve, so I enjoy watching this very much. I can't wait til I can see this series to see why there is so much debate over it's goodness or badness.

It's nothing to do with this third series itself, a lot of people on here just reallllly hate the show full stop.